top of page

Requirements needed to achieve 

status of a Standard School.

​​​​​​​

1.  School year of nine months

2.  Suitable salary

3.  Proper lighting

4.  School grounds of at least 1/2 acre

5.  Schoolhouse in good repair

6.  Well or sanitary drinking fountain

7.  Hardwood floors

8.  Heating and ventilating system

9.  Library of 80 volumes

10.  Seats and desks suitable for all ages

11.  Good blackboards with some for small children

12.  A dictionary, flag, maps, charts, glove, organ, and pictures

*Almost every school had a picture of George Washington & Abraham Lincoln. Some schools also had pictures of other significant Generals

Database of Michigan Schoolhouses

Welcome to the Michigan Schoolhouse Database collected by the Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association.

Containing more than seven-thousand entries, it is one of the largest available databases for Michigan schoolhouses.

Schoolhouse Type
Description
Features
Time Period
Log
Logs filled with chinks, maybe newspaper
Crude benches, gas lanterns, no desk, no windows
Predominant before 1880
Wood Frame (W)
Wood frame, some windows & at least 1 door
Outside privies, wood stove, gas lanterns, well outside
Late 19th Century on
Outside privies, pot belly wood stove, gas lanterns, well
Brick (B)
Brick, windows, doors, floors, & desks
Gas lanterns, wood stove, & outside privies, well outside
Late 19th century on
Cement blocks. Usually made on-site
Cement Block (CD)
Well, wood stove, privies, gas lanterns
Modern era
Stucco
Stucco exterior finish
Similar amenities to wood & brick schools
Varied late 19th century on, rare
Cobblestones (CB)
Cobblestones collected from the farm fields
Similar amenities to wood & brick schools
Varied, rare
County
Township
School & School #
Section
BM
Year
Location
Notes
Presque Isle
Merchant
Presque Isle
Metz
Metz #4
3
Hwy 441, S/3
CD 53/54. Hunting Camp/Vacant
Presque Isle
Case
Millersburg
Village is just 1 mile S of M-68 and 6 miles S of Ocqueoc Falls, the only waterfalls in the lower peninsula
In 1911 a big forest fire hit the Millersburg area. High walls of fire, fed by strong winds destroying the business section, the schoolhouse, two mills and 26 box cards. Today there is a small Elementary School, but the other children have been going to Onaway Schools since before 1950. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 138
Presque Isle
Krakow
Minton
33
Long Lake Hwy, S/29
Gone
Presque Isle
Belknap
Noffze #3
29
S/30
Presque Isle
Old Log/ Log Cabin
Presque Isle
Case
Paris #4
16
Ocqueoc Rd, S/9 S
Residence
Presque Isle
Patty Hyde
Presque Isle
Allis
Pearson
29
Presque Isle
Pulawski
Pioneer #1
30
CD 53/54
Presque Isle
Moltke
Pomerenke #2f
34
W Branch Rd, S/34
CD 53/54. Residence
Presque Isle
Posen
Posen
FA
13292 Pulaski Rd on W side of road
Lots of their small buildings on side. Still standing and being maintained. Very similar to school on M-72 and Golden Rd in Kalkaska that is Banner Hill. Owned by the Green family in 2024. Information from Mosen report. There is a photo of students available
Presque Isle
Posen
Pulaski Station
26
13292 Pulaski Rd, Posen (W side of road)
Last owned by Archie and Leona Green. Converted it into a home. Still being maintained. Very similar to Banner Hill School on M-72 and Golden Rd in Kalkaska. Submitted by Jessica Stema who's grandfather attended this school. Photo included with submission. jlstema@gmail.com
Presque Isle
Bismarck
Quinn Creek #3f
12
Quinn Creek Rd, S/12
CD 53/54. Residence
Presque Isle
Case
Rainy Lake #5
9
634 Hwy, S/9
CD 53/54. Gone
Presque Isle
North Allis
Roberts
19
N Allis Hwy, S/19 NE corner
Township Unit. Vacant
Presque Isle
Krakow
Rocky Valley #2
5
W
CD 53/54
Presque Isle
Rogers
Roger's Union School
W/W/B
1902/03
1st four-room school. 5th St & Main Ave
2nd school on Fifth St on Main Ave, but across street from 1st school. $18,000 budget. School opened Sept 1914. 12th grade added in 1917. Called Rogers Union School District. 3rd school in 1921 with construction of a combined church and school by the congregation of St. Ignatius Catholic Church. Paul Hoeft donated six lots for a new site on S end of 3rd St. Two-story building was 1340 ft long and 65 ft wide. Built of brick and had 6 classrooms on 1st floor and an auditorium on second floor (church's sanctuary) This school/church burned-down in 1924. 4 classrooms to the 1902 grammar school added in 1926? In 1928 a new H.S. was built next to the old one but fronting was on Huron St. At this time the old 1902/03 school was razed. Almost an Island. Presque Isle County
Presque Isle
North Allis
Rowe
29
Presque Isle
Schell
Presque Isle
North Allis
Schmidt/Cement
14
N Allis Hwy, S/14
Vacant
Presque Isle
Schoology
Presque Isle
Ocqueoc
Silver Creek
2
S Rogers Rd, S/2
Vacant
Presque Isle
Metz
Skiera/Skiba #3
25
W
1904-1955
Urban Rd, S/25
CD 54/53. Vacant and inpoor condition
Presque Isle
Stone School
Presque Isle
Metz
Streesick #2
18
S/18
CD 53/54
Presque Isle
Belknap
Swan River #5
3
S Rogers Rd, S/3
Residence
Presque Isle
Szymanski
Presque Isle
Allis
Tomahawk/Chaloy #7
8
W
M-33 & Poplar Hwy, S/8, NW corner
Hunting Camp
Presque Isle
Moltke
Town Hall #3
M-68 Hwy
CD 53/54
Presque Isle
Bearinger
Union
Presque Isle
Valentine
Presque Isle
Ocqueoc
Vilburn
32
About 1902-1945
2050 Ocqueoc & Twin School Hwy, S/32
Residence
Presque Isle
Whaley
Presque Isle
Posen
Woloszyk
11
Roscommon
Nester
Eggleston (SHS)
10
S
1892-1954
Eggleston Rd near Nesters Corners
Private property now
Roscommon
Lyons
Higgins Lake
36
W
1904-1955
Higgins Lake Dr near Mill Rd, Lyon Manor area
Building gone
Roscommon
AuSable
Keno
28
W
1895-1957
Along Keno Rd near M-76, hamlet of Keno
Schoolhouse removed; site is vacant
Roscommon
AuSable
Maple Grove/Richardson
15
W
1898-1956
Near Richardson Rd & Maple Grove Rd
Moved to 404 Lake St. Open Fri/Sat 12:00 - 4:00 Free Admission. Memorial Day to Sept 30th. Roscommon Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 627, 48653. Social Center for the area. Saturday night dances. Sunday School teacher pay ranged from $855 to $1,900 per year
Roscommon
Roscommon
Old Stone/Gerrish #3
22
Fieldstone
1875-1956
Along Old Stone School Rd, W side of Higgins Lake
18 ft x 20 ft with 2 windows. In 1971 consolidated with Old Stone Gerrish in Higgins School District. Two-rooms, K-6
Roscommon
Roscommon
St. Helen's #4f
16
S
1896-1957
St. Helen Village, off St. Helen Rd
School razed. Site absorbed into St. Helen Consolidated
Roscommon
Denton
Village of Denton
2
Log
1880-1956
1701 W Houghton Lake Dr M-55, Houghton Lake, MI 48629
Original school razed. A later public school replaced it
Saginaw
Albee
Albee
Log/W/B
1878-1967?
Albee Township Dist #3, Barnum School began in a log building on Verne Rd. Next a wooden-frame school was built on East Rd and it was then named the Barnum School after early settlers in that community. In the early 1900's the school was brick. It is thought that Barnum was awarded Standard School status. In 1951, 3 schools consolidated: Pine Grove, Barnum and Sloan. Barnum seems to have closed about 1953. History of Albee Township p. 233-234
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Albert #5
Saginaw
Marion
Allentown #2
Saginaw
Blumfield
Arthur #3
Saginaw
Spaulding
Banner #1
1902-1950
NW corner of S Washington & Sheridan Rds
2 classrooms, auditorium, gymnasium/cafeteria. List of Michigan Historic Sites 1996
Saginaw
Birch Run
Banner - Closed #8
1930
Saginaw
Chapin
Banner - SS #3
Standard School
Saginaw
Lakefield
Bastedo #2
Saginaw
Taymouth
Becker #4
19
W
-1954?
NE corner of S/19
Grades K-8. Consolidated with Birch Run Area Schools in 1950's
Saginaw
Jonesfield
Bellen #4
Frost Rd & Iva or Next Rds
Saginaw
Frankenmuth
Bender #3
-1930
Saginaw
Birch Run
Bidwell #2
Saginaw
Taymouth
Blackmar #6
11
Log/W
1889-1958
1st school here was a big log school 3/4 miles E of Blackmar on Elms Rd at Judd Rd. In eastern part of S/11
First teacher in 1889 taught 3 months. In 1873 a new schoolhouse was built in Blackmar. That was in Taymouth Township. In the last years the school was K-6. Consolidated with Birch Run Area Schools in 1950's. After closing the school was used for church services. Then converted into a residence
Saginaw
Blumfield
Blumfield - SS #1
Standard School
Saginaw
Chapin
Booth #2
Log/fieldstone/
-1960's
All 4 schools originally located at same site: NE corner of Chapin & Kramer Rds
Sometime in 1960 annexed to Chesaning and students bussed there. Probably one of the early schools sold to a farmer who attached it to his barn. Later the barn and attached school burned-down. 4 schools were built on that corner. Contact Wayne Kramer. Ondockelly0340@gmail.com. 1/2025 Submission. At one time he owned 1 of the 4 schools
Saginaw
Brady
Brady Center #9
Saginaw
Brant
Brant #1f
Saginaw
Brant
Brant Center SS #4
Standard School
Saginaw
Saginaw
Brick #1f
1837
During the 1830's land along the Ttittabawassee River had the greatest concentration of families in the Township so that is where the first real school was needed. When the Crane family moved to a larger dwelling in 1835 their abandoned log cabin was used for District #1 the brick schoolhouse. Remembering Our Past p. 60. In 1953 McMann, Brick and White moved from the one-room schools into Mc-Brite School with a grand opening p. 76. Photo of school p. 60 & 61. History of Saginaw Township
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Bridgeport
Log
1842
Saginaw
Lakefield
Brown #3
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Brucker - SS
Standard School. Teacher: Diane Prout
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Buena Vista
3 Schools combined together by 1975: Buena Vista, North and Frankentrost
Saginaw
Richland
Burd #7
Saginaw
Taymouth
Burt - SS #8
29
B
by 1910-1977
E Burt Rd, In village of Burt on E Burt Rd. S part of S/29
The first school in Burt was two-rooms. Went thru grades 9 and 10. For final grades students went to Montrose. Later Burt taught thru grade 12. Standard School. Still used as an Elementary School by Birch Run Area Schools after additional rooms were added
Saginaw
Freemont
Burton S Taft #6
Saginaw
Birch Run
Butler #7
Saginaw
Lakefield
Byrnes #4
Saginaw
Taymouth
Canada Street #7
24
W
-1959
NW corner of S/24
Consolidated with Birch Run Area Schools in 1960's
Saginaw
Brant
Carl - SS #6f
B
1905-
Standard School. St Charles Wolverine Sportsman's Club
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Cass Bridge
Saginaw
Chesaning
Cheasing - NOR #1
Saginaw
Freemont
Cleveland - SS #5
Standard School
Saginaw
Birch Run
County Line
W
13001-13175 Maple Rd Birch Run (Present address)
Museum. Moved to Birch Run Community Park S of Birch Run. Turn S of Church St in Birch Run
Saginaw
Richland
Cranberry Lake
W
Cranberry Lake Rd
Saginaw
Tittabawassee
Crane #5
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Deneen #7
Saginaw
Thomas
Dice - #8
B
1867-1955
In the small community of Dice
Dice School #8 was built in 1867 in the northern part of the Township on Dice Rd. It was a brick school and in 1927, a 2nd room was added and it became a two-room Standard School. Then it became overcrowded, so in 1955 the district was divided with half the students consolidating with Freeland and the others consolidating with Hemlock. The vacant school was then used as a community center, but has since been converted into a small fire station. History of Thomas Township
Saginaw
Bridge Port
District
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Downes - SS #5
Standard School
Saginaw
Richland
Doyle #6f
Saginaw
Albee
Drum/Zigler #1
L/W
1856-1961
At Bishop Hwy & W Gary Rd
1856 was the year of the 1st school in Albee Township. It was the log home of Anna Sprague, teacher of 7 students. Later Joseph Fairchild gave an acre of his farm for a schoolhouse. That too was a log school with a frame building built in 1893. Emerson Hill bought the old school for a granary. Ziegler was called Drum School until 1902. The Drum family had all moved away so it was renamed after new neighbors, The Zieglers. Electricity was installed in 1937. In 1938, playground equipment was installed. In 1961 it annexed to the Chesaning School District. Chesaning cared for the building until 1966 and used it for an overflow of students. In 1939 the school got inside toilets. History of Albee Township p. 213
Saginaw
Chesaning
Dutchtown - SS #6f
Standard School
Saginaw
Chesaning
Dyer #7
Saginaw
Brant
Dygert #7
Saginaw
Chapin
Estess #5
Saginaw
Jonesfield
Fales #2
Saginaw
St Charles
Fergus #3
Saginaw
Jonesfield
Fleming - SS #1
Fenmore Rd., S of Dice Rd
Standard School
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Fonger #8
Saginaw
Freemont
Forest #3
Saginaw
St Charles
Forest Lawn - SS #6
Standard School
Saginaw
Fort Saginaw
W
1835-
Saginaw Township Book p. 59 says Fort Saginaw was the very first school in Saginaw area and in the abandoned Fort Saginaw. This was in 1835
Saginaw
Tahmouth
Foster/McNally #5
8/McNally 5
W
By 1896-1961
K-8 Foster in S/8, later called McNally S/5. Consolidated with Birch Run Area Schools in 1960's
Saginaw
Marion
Fowler
W
1880-1943
13240 W Townline, St. Charles moved to Murphy Farm 1988 Hartley Outdoor Education Center
Originally at corner of Burt & Chapin Rds in State Historic Site 1989. Now Historic Site at Hartley Education Center. Murphy's Farm property in Swan Creek Township
Saginaw
Blumfield
Frankentrost #2
Log
1847-1975 Combined
Log for 20 years. 1870 moved into Church which burned '51
3 schools: North, Buena Vista and Franken-Trost consolidated into one by 1975
Saginaw
Tittabawassee
Freeland #3
Saginaw
Fulmer
Saginaw
Swan Creek
Garfield #1
2nd school moved to 9475 Swan Creek Rd. Burned '68.
School Bell cracked in the fire. In 2005 bell given to Swan Creek Township Board, 11415 Lakefield Rd Swan Creek
Saginaw
Thomas
Geddes #3
16
B
late 1860's-1951
Lone Rd
#3 Geddes was the 3rd school built in Thomas Township. It was a brick building built in the late 1860's on Lone Rd in S/16 (the School Section) The school was closed in 1951 when it merged with Hemlock Schools. History of Thomas Township
Saginaw
Frankenmuth
Ger_____ Closed #2
-1930
Closed in 1930
Saginaw
Thomas
Graham - #5f
Log/B
1870-s-1951
Corner of Gratiot & Graham Rds
Graham #5 was a fractional school that took in students from Swan Creek Township. By 1940 overcrowding was a problem so the upper grade pupils were transported to the new Shields Elementary or to Saginaw for several years. Finally in 1951 it was decided by a vote to merge the Graham district with the Hemlock Schools. The old Graham School was removed in 1958 to widen Gratiot Rd
Saginaw
Thomas
Gratiot Heights - SS #4f
W
by late 1920's-
By 1927 overcrowding was a problem at Grove #4 and it was decided that a new frame school building, called Shields and also called Gratiot Heights #4 was needed to alleviate the overcrowding at Grove #4. This district included the eastern part of the old Grove district, part of the Paines district (a fractional school district in James Township) and the SE corner of Thomas Township. It too qualified as a Standard School. Then it also became overcrowded. Additions and bringing in temporary buildings were used to alleviate the overcrowding. History of Thomas Township
Saginaw
Richland
Gravel Rd #5f
B
Hardwood Hts Rd, S/3
Gone
Saginaw
Thomas
Grove #4
W/B
1873-
Gratiot Rd
Pic 1890? School #4, Grove School was built about 1873 and located in what is now Gratiot Rd in a grove of trees. The school building was wooden and lasted until 1925 when it burned-down. It was replaced with a brick school that met all requirements to be awarded the rank of Standard School. Electric lights were added in 1931. It was also overcrowded with students. History of Thomas Township
Saginaw
Freemont
Guilford -SS #1
Standard School
Saginaw
Birch Run
Hammond - Closed #6
-1930
Closed in 1930
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Harding - SS #7f
Standard School
Saginaw
Chapin
Harwick #4
Saginaw
Chesaning
Havana #2
S of Chesaning near Parshallburg
Early settlement on the Shiawassee River, now known as Parshallburg. Echoes of Yesteryears v. 6 p. 98
Saginaw
Richland
Hemlock - NOR #4
B
Replaced in 1869 with two-room school. A third building was built in 1894 and replaced in 1914 with a brick building on N Elm St
Saginaw
Saginaw
Hemmeter/Black/Swarthout #3
W
by 1837-1959
Located near State & Hemmeter Sts
Lumber from the local mill was used to build a one-room schoolhouse. It took 23 trips to deliver 2,012 board feet of lumber for the school. It ended up costing about $175 to build the school. The school was painted black as black paint is what a farmer had handy. Hence it's first name Black School. Next it was renamed Swarthout School and in 1893 the name was changed to honor William Hemmeter who served on the school board. Remembering our Past p. 65-66. Eventually Hemmeter, Plainfield, Prosser, Westdale and McBrite sent their junior and senior high students to the City of Saginaw for their final years of education. p. 76. Saginaw Township photo. Saginaw Township book said built in 1837 for $175. p. 58. photo p. 65. Annexed to City of Saginaw Schools about 1959
Saginaw
Spaulding
Hess #2f
W/F/S
1875-1925
1520 Houlihan Rd. Originally NW corner of Cole Rd near Saginaw
Hess was a Standard School. In 1875 the first school was erected. It was replaced in 1915 (2nd school on site) and in 1925 destroyed by fire. A red brick school in 1926 was built. The 3rd school to stand on that site. Now serving as a community center. Designated a Michigan Historical Site. Traveling thru Time p. 388. This book says the address is 1520 Houlilhand Rd
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Highland Park - NOR
Saginaw
Blumfield
Hill - SS #6
26
B
1890-1952
11465 E Holland Rd, Blumfield Township, Saginaw County
Standard School Sign, State Historic Site 1978. Now used as a business office
Saginaw
Birch Run
Horton #3
Saginaw
Richland
Hughey
19
Cranberry Lake, S/19
Saginaw
St Charles
Indian Town - SS #5
Standard School
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Ireland #6
Saginaw
Richland
J W Forest #9
Saginaw
Frankenmuth
Jerome #5
Saginaw
Kochville
Jewett #6f
Saginaw
Richland
John C Mae #7f
Saginaw
St Charles
Jones - SS #7
Standard School
Saginaw
James
Jordan #4
Saginaw
Lakefield
Kain - SS #1f
Standard School
Saginaw
Bridge Port
King Road
Saginaw
Blumfield
Kolnback #4
Saginaw
Brady
Koyne #1
Ridge Rd 1/2 mile E of Brennen Rd. N side of Rd
Students from Shiawassee also attended this school. Echoes of Yesteryears v. 6 p. 99
Saginaw
Blumfield
Krick #5
Saginaw
Brady
Lamoreaux #10
W
Pic 1897
Saginaw
Tittabawassee
Law - SS #4
Standard School
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Layton -SS NOR #1
Standard School
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Leidlein #2
26
B
1899-1958
5965 E Holland Rd, Saginaw
Moved. Now a business office for Pride & Country Shops
Saginaw
Kochville
Liberty #7
Saginaw
Brant
Limbocker #3
Saginaw
Frankenmuth
Lincoln - Closed #4
Saginaw
Thomas
Liskow #1
Log/W/B
1856-
3rd school: State & Miller Sts
Standard School. Photo in Gallery. First school built in the Township was #1 Liskow, erected in 1856 on the banks of the Tittawawassee River where Owens Cemetery is now located. In several years the log school was replaced with a wood building on the corner of State and Short Rds where it is now a residence. In 1925 a 3rd Liskow School was built on the corner of State and Miller Rds. This 3rd building was made of brick, had a basement, indoor chemical toilets and achieved the status of a Standard School. As the population grew additions were made to the Liskow School. It is now consolidated with the Swan Valley School System. History of Thomas Township
Saginaw
Marion
Lone Oak #6
Saginaw
Richland
Lunney #3
Saginaw
Spaulding
Mahr - SS #3
F/CB
1880-1951
Bank of the Flint River
Standard School
Saginaw
Lakefield
Maple Leaf #1
Saginaw
Birch Run
Marr #1
Saginaw
Saginaw
McBrite
New 1953-1959
New Elementary School that replaced McMann, was brick and white. Eventually Hemmeter, Plainfield, Prosser, Westdale and McBrite sent their junior and senior high students to the City of Saginaw for their final years of education. p. 76. History of Saginaw Township p. 76
Saginaw
Brady
McFall #4
Saginaw
Taymouth
McGregor #2
26
W
1893-1956
E Burt Rd, SE corner of S/26
Saginaw
Taymouth
McIntosh #3 (White School)
33
W/B
1891-1966
NE corner of S/33
K-8th grade. Known as the White School was made into two. Was later made into a brick school called the McIntosh School located in Taymouth Town or the corners. The brick school still stands in 1976
Saginaw
Taymouth
McNally/Fosters #5
5 later 9
W
1893-1966
McNally SE corner of S/5. Later moved for Fosters, NW corner of S/9, renamed Foster
The school moved 1 mile W from S/5 to the NW corner of S/9 which put it almost within the village limits of Foster. It consolidated with Birch Run Area Schools in 1966
Saginaw
Chapin
McQuiston #6
Saginaw
Jonesfield
Merrill - NOR
Saginaw
Chesaning
Mills #10
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Monroe #3
Saginaw
Chesaning
Morley Town #4f
Saginaw
Tittabawassee
Munger #1
Gleaner Rd
Saginaw
Lakefield
Nohel - SS #5
Standard School
Saginaw
Richland
O'Hara - SS #8f
Standard School
Saginaw
Marion
Oak Grove #5
Saginaw
Brady
Oakley #9f
32
W
1855
Parshall & 1st Sts, Oakley in Brady Township
The first school in Brady Township. Two-room frame school. Annexed to Chesaning. Echoes of Yesteryear v. 6 p. 97. Current use owned by Oakley Village and used as a park
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Old Dixie
1862-
6190 Dixie Hwy, Bridgeport, MI 48722
Now part of Bridgeport Historical Society. Michigan History Directory, 1th ed p. 26
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Orville - SS
Standard School
Saginaw
Saginaw
Otto #6
W
1871-1956
Corner of Gratiot & Enter Rds
C. Seidel sold land for one of the last one-room schools in Saginaw Township. The land cost $150 and the building was $800. The school was named in honor of pioneer, August Otto. It was in operation for 9 months a year. Otto was painted white with green shutters. It was 24 ft x 36 ft and was surrounded by a white picket fence. 50 ft behind was the privy. There were 8 grades at the school. In 1891 the teacher's salary was $200 for 9 months. In 1940 Otto was replaced by a large brick school with inside restrooms. Remembering our Past p. 71-72. History of Saginaw Township photo p. 71 of school in 1940. Otto was one of the last one-room schools built in 1871
Saginaw
Brady
Overpack #6
Log/B
-Close 1930
Saginaw
Thomas
Paines - SS #3f
Standard School
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Phelps
Saginaw
Albee
Pine Grove #2
W
1876-1951
Corner of Burt & Bueche Rds
In 1876 the 2nd school in Albee Township was built and called Pine Grove #2. In 1923 the wooden-frame school was remodeled to accommodate two classrooms, a cloak room and chemical toilets. Two teachers were hired. A music teacher visited the school. On the last day of school each year was a picnic. It is possible that Pine Grove became a Standard School. In 1951, 3 schools consolidated: Pine Grove, Barnum and Sloan. History of Albee Township p. 226
Saginaw
St Charles
Pioneer #8
St. Charles
Saginaw
Saginaw
Plainfield #4
W
1851-1959
Next to Bay Rd & halfway between Shattuck & McCarty Rds
School #4 Plainfield was built as the population grew on the eastern side of the Township. By 1859 the 4 school districts in Saginaw Township were Brick, White, Black and Plainfield. Each operated independently. Each school hired their own teacher. In 1878 little Plainfield School on Bay Rd was relocated to the NE corner of Bay & Shattuck Rds. The school was expanded to a new two-room classroom building in 1938. Then by 1957 increased enrollment at Plainfield made it necessary to build a 6 room schoolhouse farther E on Shattuck Rd. Remembering our Past p. 66 & 67. Eventually Hemmeter, Plainfield, Prosser, Westdale and McBrite sent their junior and senior high students to the City of Saginaw for their final years of education. p. 76. History of Saginaw Township
Saginaw
James
Pokagon - SS #1
Standard School
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Popp
Saginaw
Tittabawassee
Porter #2
6125 Garfield Rd
Saginaw
Albee
Prairie Farm #5f
18
W
1905-1930
1st Bishop Rd
Albee Fractional School #5f was built in S/18 on the Tony Kulhanek Farm. The first year, in 1905, there were 65 students. This building burned-down in 1930. The replacement school had two-rooms and measured 35 ft x 20 ft. A 3rd and final building called Prairie Farm was built about 1942 and the 2nd building sold and became a store. The last school was used until 1961, when Prairie Farm annexed with Chesaning. The 3rd building was later sold to the Alicia Crop Service as an office building. History of Albee Township p. 242
Saginaw
Blumfield
Pratt #7
Saginaw
Saginaw
Prosser - #7
3
W
1878-1959
Located halfway between Shattuck & McCarty Rds near Bay Rd
Standard School. Prosser #7 was the last one-room schoolhouse built in Saginaw Township. A 1/2 acre of land was purchased from W. Elmer. Construction was completed by December 1878. The school was named after David Prosser, a prominent member of the community. In 1926, the 48 year old school was remodeled and dedicated as a STANDARD SCHOOL. In Jan, 1953 the building was replaced with a three-room schoolhouse. It was grades 1-7. It operated until 1970, when it was sold to the Tri-City Assoc. of the Deaf. Remembering our Past p. 73-74. Eventually Hemmeter, Plainfield, Prosser, Westdale and McBrite sent their junior and senior high students to the City of Saginaw for their final years of education p. 76. History of Saginaw Township. Photo p. 73-74
Saginaw
Brady
Red #2
Saginaw
Freemont
Reynolds - SS #2
Standard School
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Ricker - SS #1
Standard School
Saginaw
Brant
Ring #8f
Saginaw
Brady
Robinson - SS #3f
Standard School
Saginaw
Taymouth
Ross #1
22
W
by 1893-1956
Mooresville Rd S/22, W part of S/22
K-8 Consolidated with Birch Run Area Schools in the 1950's. Mooresville Rd the main N-S Rd in the town of Taymouth now called Saginaw Rd. Mooresville was 14 miles S of Saginaw on Flint river
Saginaw
Birch Run
Rottier #4
Saginaw
Swan Creek
Schaupp - SS #3
Standard School
Saginaw
Bridge Port
Schiltz
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Service - SS Closed #8
1930
Standard School
Saginaw
Marion
Shadynook - SS #3
Standard School
Saginaw
Albee
Sloan #4
Log/B
1880-1957
Originally on Sloan Rd
The first Sloan School was built of logs in 1880. It was named after early pioneers and was on Sloan Rd. The school was used for all 8 grades until 1891 when a red brick school was built. At that time Myron Ladd gave the district a deed for an acre of land for the school. It was a very nice school with chemical toilets and other nice touches. In 1951, 3 schools consolidated: Pine Grove, Barnum and Sloan. History of Albee Township p. 235
Saginaw
Richland
Smith - SS #2
29
B
17980 Gratiot Rd (Present address)
Standard School. Annexed to Hemlock Schools. Now a business office
Saginaw
Taymouth
Smith Station
Saginaw
Chapin
Somers
Kremer & Fenmore Rds
Stand School. N of County line. Attended by students of Shiawassee also. Echoes of Yesterday v6. p. 47
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Springbrook
18
W
6004 Bishop Rd, Chesaning
Currently a private home
Saginaw
Maple Grove
Springbrook #4
Block, as of 1904
1859-1955
Corner of Bishop & Peet Rds (M-57)
Residence. Photo in Gallery
Saginaw
St Charles
St Charles - NOR
Saginaw
Buena Vista
Star - SS #3
Standard School
Saginaw
Richland
Stone #1
35
W
Sheffer at Black Rd S/35, 1 mile N of Ogemaw/Arenac County line
Saginaw
Jonesfield
Striped - SS #3
Standard School
Saginaw
Swan Creek
Swan Creek - SS #2f
1967
Standard School. 2 R burned 1967
Saginaw
Thomas
Swan Valley
early 1960's
Four locations in Thomas Township
Because of many factors, the main one being continued growth in Thomas Township which added more and more students to the overcrowded school buildings, it was decided to establish a K-12 school district for all of Thomas Township called Swan Valley School District. It currently has four schools: Liskow, Robert Havens Elementary, Swan Valley Jr High and Swan Valley H.S. History of Thomas Township
Saginaw
Brady
Swim #7
Saginaw
Taymouth
Taymouth Elementary Sch
1956-present
6205 E Birch Run Rd
Combined Ross and McGregor in 1956 (low enrollment) 1958 by 1959 Blarmar 1959 by and Canada McIntosh and Burt were last to consolidate. Burt had additional rooms and it along with Taymouth Elementary are still used by Birch Run Area Schools

2026 The Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association

bottom of page