top of page

Database of Michigan Schoolhouses

Welcome to the Michigan Schoolhouse Database collected by the Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association.

Containing more than seven-thousand entries, it is one of the largest available databases for Michigan schoolhouses.

School & School #
Township
County
Section
BM
Year
Location
Notes
Aldrich
Curtis
Alcona
1888-1892
London Rd 1/2 mile E of Stout Rd
Can't find on map
Alvin
Mikado
Alcona
26
W
1931
Michaud & Alvin Rd
Closed in 1931
Backus Beach
Hawes
Alcona
2
On Sern shores of Hubbard Lake
Locates in the Hubbard Lake CDP (Census, demographic and population)
Backus Creek
Gustin
Alcona
21
W
1888-1892
London Rd 1/2 mile E of Stout Rd
Residence
Bailey
Harrisville
Alcona
1 or 2
Log/W
1907-1941
1.5 miles N of Harrisville, Trail to school
When closed students went to Oscoda. In 1973 Twp began a partial restoration and in 1998 it was moved to Sturgeon Point. Now a museum. Contact: Diana Rigato, 313-655-3976. * Picture on website & youtube - Exterior & Interior on Google
Barber/Ritchie
Hawes
Alcona
1
W
1902-
Somers & Sucker Creek Rd
Burned. Only foundation remains
Bean Hill
Millen
Alcona
31
CB
1911-1956
Walker Rd & Bean Hill Rd
Private Hunting Camp Association
Black River/Sand Hill
Alcona
Alcona
14
1850-
Black River Rd & S& Hill
Annexed to Alcona Community Schools. Black River School itself is demolished
Cedardale
Mitchell
Alcona
W
1908-1941
Original location on Kohler Rd just N of M-72
Moved to a 2nd location in 1930. SE corner of M-72 & Kohler Rd at Reid Lake Trail Head. Alcona Historical Society Sign on Site
Cloverdale
Mitchell
Alcona
21
W
1909-1948
Demolished sometime after 1948
Curran
Mitchell
Alcona
W
1932-
Opened in 1932
Curtisville 2nd
Curtis
Alcona
17
Log
1884
8465 Clouse Rd, S Beach, MI 48671
Both schools at same site. Now Curtisville Civil Center
Daisy Dell
Mitchell
Alcona
1888-1948
5130 Alcona Rd
First school was a logging camp. This school is now a hunting club and still stands on original site
Flynn Valley
Mitchell
Alcona
1914-
Flynn Valley Rd, Oakl& Hunt Club, Curran, MI
Hunting club
Flynn Valley/Daisy Dell
Mitchell
Alcona
NF
1911
Doctors Club Rd, Curran, MI
Also known as Daisy Dell School. The Flynn school was purchased and moved to Curran to live in while building a new home. It still stands on that property in Curran. Flynn school was used on Sundays and Sunday School was held there as late as 1936. Also, this is where Sutton school burned down. First school moved to Curran. Story of Flynn Valley by Goldie P. (Crowell Wilcox. May 1967)
French Town
Haynes
Alcona
31
W
1880-
6849 Tower Rd, Curran, MI 48728, Township Hall
Annexed to Alcona Community Schools. Currently used as Mitchell Township Hall
Glennie
Alcona
Alcona
CB
1911-1948
Glennie Elementary School closed in 2010, K-5
Celcom Community Schools
Greenbush
Greenbush
Alcona
3
W
1870-1947
5029 Campbell Rd, N side of St
Currently the Greenbush Twp Hall. Owned by Greenbush Historical Society. A Michigan Register Historic Site 1979. * Picture on Google Exterior & Interior
Gustin
Gustin
Alcona
W
1800's
Fowler Rd
Only foundation remains. Three additions
Hadley/Harrisville
Harrisville
Alcona
26
Log
1908-1920
Closed in 1920
Haynes
Haynes
Alcona
1927-1947
3993 E McNeil Rd
Hungarian
Millen
Alcona
CB
1913-
Millen Rd
Standing 1/2 mile South of Flower Rd. Annexed to Alcona Community Schools
Johnson
Haynes
Alcona
17
W
1927-1947
3930 E McNeil Rd, just W of McGregor Rd
Alcona County Historical Site. Currently Haynes Township Hall since 1963. * Picture on Google
Klondike
Mikado
Alcona
5
W
1910
433 E F-30 at Buhl Rd, Mikado, MI
Only Foundation remains. Original wood school burned down in 1906. Rebuilt by Seth Bell & Son
Lakeview
Curtis
Alcona
W
Healy Rd & Banfield 1/2 mile W of Glennie
Residence
Limerick
Mikado
Alcona
13
W
1904-1942
Was located on E side of F-41
Torn-down and lumber used to build a Lovelace Rd residence
Liston
Alcona
Alcona
W
Black River 1/2 mile from US 23
Residence. Red
Lott
Curtis
Alcona
27
W
1908
Probably located in or near Glennie
Low
Alcona
Alcona
1880's
Was at SW corner of Lake Shore Dr & Alger Smith Rd
Alcona County Historical Site. Vacant school, but Bell located at Alcona Township Hall. * Picture of Sign & Bell
Mikado
Mikado
Alcona
12
W
1902-
Located on Mikado Rd
Gone. Was a two-room school
Millen
Millen
Alcona
CB
Millen Rd, 1/2 mile S of Fowler Rd
Vacant
Mitchell
Mitchell
Alcona
Log
1911-
6849 W Tower Rd, Curran, MI
Currently Mitchell Township Hall. * Picture on Google - Poor Quality
Mount Joy
Haynes
Alcona
11
B
1888-1948
5130 Alcona Rd between US-23 & Lake Shore Dr
Alcona County Historical Site. Currently a residence located across from cemetary. * Picture on Google
NF
Curtis
Alcona
Log
1884
Curtisville Rd
Land donated by Lumber Company Moore & Tanner. First school built west of Au Sable River
Norwegian/McDonald
Caledonia
Alcona
7
W
Located on School Rd
Poor condition. McDonald School was moved four miles and attached to the Norwegian School
Pine Grove
Caledonia
Alcona
2
W
1902-1939
6540 Hickey Hill Rd in Hubbard Lake
Residence. Pine Grove School Annexed to Alcona Community Schools
Pine/Pyne
Haynes
Alcona
21
W
1901-1945
On the E side of Poor Farm Rd, 1/4 mile S of Quick Rd
Abandoned. * Picture on Google - Poor Quality
Poor Farm
Greenbush
Alcona
W
-1954
Mikado & Coville Rds, F-30
Annexed in 1954 to Oscoda Public Schools. Moved in 1979. Vacant
Silverthorn
Haynes
Alcona
W
1870-1921
Silverthorn Family, S/25
Fisher Grange in Harrisville
Wilson
Harrisville
Alcona
31?
W
1931
Barlow & Procunier Rds
3rd building part of Knights of Columbus building in Lincoln
Rock River
Alger
1885
First school on the N side of the track near the bridge. The first teacher had 20 students. The school is well furnished with maps, a globe and in good shape in every way as reported in the the Mining Journal. The 2nd schoolhouse was a two-story building, the lower level for school and upstairs for a community center. Sunday School was held there as well. In 1892 two sisters from Midland County came to teach at Rock River. Alice had the Rock River School and Agnes the Hawley School. Rock River is now gone
#3
Mathias
Alger
Had a horse drawn school bus in 1919
Au Train
Au Train
Alger
Log
1905
School may have closed about 1905
Birch School
Alger
Sunday School held here at least in 1881. By 1885 it was turned into a residence
Chatham
Rock River
Alger
1896
2nd story added in 1915, principal was paid $80.00 and teachers were paid $50.00 per month. A new school at Chatham $25,000 bond issue was voted down in May 1914. $15,000 for new school in Eben and $10,000 for rebuilding Chatham 47 to 28. In June a $20,000 bond was approved 49 to 15
Coalwood
Au Train
Alger
Near Stillman & Wyman Rds
Cold Springs
Au Train
Alger
1919
Closed in 1919. Jacob Luoma, $2,094
Deerton
Onota
Alger
1926
After burning down in 1926 the school was immediately re-built
Demling
Alger
1907-08
18 ft X 34 ft structure built by John Keya for $750.00. New School built by Matt Kamppinen for $4,344.77. School moved to Ferguson in 1912
Diffin #1
Limestone
Alger
US 41, S of the W Branch of the White Fish River
Dorsey
Winters
Alger
Eben
Limestone
Alger
Eben Junction
Rock River
Alger
1915 (2nd)
All children attended Eben who built 3 schools over time. The first school was built in 1904 and the 2nd school was built in 1915
Grand Island City
Munising #1
Alger
Grand Marais
Burt
Alger
1885-current
Serves entirety of Burt Township Almost 240 sq miles
In 1896 the village of Munising needed a building to serve grades K-12. This building first called Central and later Frobel School, was completed Jan 1, 1897. It was a two-story frame building with a basement. Also in 1896 the village had constructed a West Ward School for that end of town. After paying the last payment on Central school on Dec. 21, 1920 the school burned, but was covered by insurance. The students were on Christmas break. A new modern school was built with an auditorium, gymnasium and indoor swimming pool. This school was named after William G. Mather. A new Munising High School was built on the shore of Lake Superior in 1980 at a cost of 5 million dollars.
Hawley
Mathias
Alger
Log
1880's
Was made of logs and opened circa 1880's
Indian Town/Thomasville
Munising
Alger
Located in Munising, Van Meer & Shingleton Rds
Ojibwe Village. Book on Indian Town won Michigan Historical Society Award
Jack Walls
Mathias
Alger
1908
Replaced the burned down Stevens School
Jenney Station
Munising
Alger
Joe Stevens
Alger
1908
Kentucky
Munising
Alger
Located on Doe Lake Rd, W of Kentucky Trail
Kiva #3
Limestone
Alger
Was located on or near what became US 41
Limestone
Limestone
Alger
1890
Lincoln
Munising
Alger
B
1916
New 8 room school to replace the old West Ward School. Could accommodate 300 in grades 1st-8th in individual classrooms
Little Red Schoolhouse
Grand Island
Alger
Driftwood
Built at Powell's Point
Was still standing in 1985
Loud
Louds Spur
Alger
8
1908-
S/8
Built by Matt & Isaac Kamppinen
McAfee No #
Limestone
Alger
1908-
At Diffin Village
Was the 2nd school in Diffin. Salary to be paid at the end each month if there was enough money in the treasury
Melstrand
Munising
Alger
Unincorporated community at the Junction of County Highways H-58 and H-52. It was a sawmill village with a railway station and post office that closed in 1926
Munising
Munising
Alger
Log
1847
After highway went through the Grand Island Twp, kids were transported to Munising from 1936-1941
Munising Station (Wetmore)
Munising
Alger
Log
before 1891
Myren
Munising
Alger
North Stevens
Mathias
Alger
1888
Burned
Petrel
Munising
Alger
On the E side of Poor Farm Rd, 1/4 mile S of Quick Rd
Powell's Point
Grand Island
Alger
before 1915
Ridge
Au Train
Alger
Near Ridge Rd & the Duluth, S Shore & Atlantic RR
Rumely
Rock River
Alger
1886-
Near Au Sable River by Sundell & Dorsey Rds
Built in 1923 by Matt Lammi & Alex Jokipii for $5,358
Sacred Heart (Catholic)
Munising
Alger
B
1913-1970
Photo on Internet is under Old Sacred Heart School (Munising, Michigan)
Schaeffer's Camp
Onota
Alger
B
Schaffer
Onota
Alger
1881
Frame complex was built by the company which also included other guilding
Schoolcraft
Munising #2
Alger
1867
Oldest Township of Munising. In 1876 Munising #2 was built and was a two-story schoolhouse. Top floor to be the Township Hall. Cost $20,000
Shelter Bay
Onota
Alger
Located on M-28 between Munising & Marquette
Shingleton
Munising
Alger
B
before 1891
County Rd in Cusino State Wildlife Research Area
2 Photo on Internet. Began as a station on the Detroit, Mackinaw & Marquette RR in 1882. Town known for making shingles. Originated as Jeromesville.
Sixteen Mile Lake
Au Train
Alger
443 acre natural lake in Au Train Township
One of 3 dams. Dame/logging closed by 1947/48
Slapneck
Rock River
Alger
Sundell
Rock River
Alger
Located nearby to Dorsey & Rumely Rds
Thomasville (Indiantown)
Munising
Alger
before 1891
See Indiantown School
Traunik
Limestone
Alger
1890
School was closed until spring because of a large amount of snow. In 1890 a school was built at Limestone Creek
Trenary
Mathias
Alger
1916
In 1916, a High School was built. Trenary School in 2024 was 11 miles N of the village
Tyoga/Tioga
Onota
Alger
Web site: Tyoga Historical Pathway, Ghost Town. 2 mile long interpretive hiking trail. No buildings left. Founded in 1900, but abandoned. Mill on the Laughing Whitefish River. In 1908 a school was built. The schoolhouse was moved by a sleigh and horse team along the railroad grade to Deerton where it still stands
Vall
Au Train
Alger
W of the Rapid River Truck Trail
Van Meer
Munising
Alger
A two-room brick school was completed in 1921. After the 1951-52 year all of the Van Meer and Melstrand students were bused to Shingleton. The Shingleton School opened in 1923, with 2 teachers in two-rooms teaching 8 grades. One teacher then taught the remaining 6 grades. Those grades were divided into two sections, with that lasting until 1952 when grades 5th and 6th were also transferred to Munising. Annexed in 1961. School was closed and the building was sold to the Shingleton Recreation Club
Village/City
Munising #4
Alger
1876
Two-story building also between Stonewall. Cost $10,000
West Ward School
Munising
Alger
1896-1913
In 1896 construction started for a school in the W end of town. In 1916 it replaced the West Ward School and was called Lincoln. Lincoln had 8 classrooms and could accommodate 300 children in Grades 1 thru 8
Wetmore/Station
Munising #3
Alger
1874
From 1881-1897 classes were held regularly. In 1883, 60 children both Indian and White were enrolled. (Although only 40 attended regularly). In 1936, a fire destroyed Wetmore School. A 3rd school was built on the site in 1937 and used until 1945 when students were transferred to Munising. The school was turned into a residence
Whitefish
Onota
Alger
Winters
Mathias
Alger
1908-
Wyman's School of the Woods
Munising
Alger
1909-1915
Students came from all over the USA to learn about lumber management and conservation. School was nationally famous. Closed during WWI. Entire site on internet. Archives at Michigan State University archives.
Leighton
Allegan
6
147th Ave E of 12th St S/6
Gone
Martin
Allegan
7
10th St, N of 120th Ave S/7
Abronia/Wright #10
Watson
Allegan
31
W
1976
W side of 22nd St & S of 114th
Allegan book p. 92. Photo of school p. 92. Standard School. History of Allegan County. Per: Karen Cox (Mathes), a nurse, who was a student in 1961, 62, & 63. Located on Hendrickson property. Pic
Albers/Highland #4
Overisel
Allegan
29
B
N side of 139th Ave & E of 45th St
Allegan book p. 38. Photo of school p. 38. In 1945 enrollment of students was 34. Looks to have 2-3 classrooms. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Allegan
Allegan
18
MORSA. History of Allegan County
Angell #6
Wayland
Allegan
27
W
S side of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 2. Photo of school p. 2. Appears to be a wooden frame building. Photo of school and children in 1924-25. Photo says District #7
Babylon #7
Allegan
Allegan
17
W
1973
Babylon Rd & 34th St (M-89)
Allegan book p. 3. Photo of school p. 3. 1960 enrollment was 52 students. Standard School in 1922. History of Allegan County. Pic
Banning/Neeley #9
Gun Plain
Allegan
1
B
Just N of intersection at Marsh & Pine Rds
Allegan book p. 3. Appears to be a brick school. Photo of school p. 3. In 1952 the enrollment was 47 students. Photo of school possibly taken in 1973
Barrager #7
Saugatuck
Allegan
36
W or B
1850-6/14/1956
E side of 64th St & S of 127th Ave
Allegan book p. 4. Photo of school p. 4. It is either wooden frame or possibly brick. Converted into a residence in 1998
Barton/Gates #6
Otsego
Allegan
6
1 1/4 miles N of Otsego on NW corner of E & W Crossroads (108th Ave & 15th St)
Allegan book p. 4. No photo available at time of publication. Contact: Mrs. Alice Newcomb, 308 E. Orleans St, Otsego, MI 49078. Ph# 694-6872. Also known as Gates School
Baseline #3
Cheshire
Allegan
34
W
Corner of Baseline Rd & 42nd St
Allegan book p. 5. Photo of school p. 5. It appears to be a wooden frame school. In 1951 there were 16 students enrolled
Bear Creek #4
Hopkins
Allegan
20
B?
1899-
1 mile N of Hopkins on 22nd St & 132nd Ave
Allegan book p. 5. Photo of school. p. 5. Allegan Gazette, Oct. 21, 1899. Hopkins preparing to build brick schoolhouse. Cost $1,025. In 1951 there were 15 students enrolled
Becksvoort/Klomparens/Westview #5
Fillmore
Allegan
19
B?
1973
5130 Alcona Rd between US-23 & Lake Shore Dr
Allegan book p. 88. Photo of School p. 88. Known as Westview, Klomparens and Becksvoort School names. History of Allegan County. Pic
Beechwood/Koopman
Overisel
Allegan
9
144th Ave & 43rd St
MORSA. History of Allegan County. Not listed in Allegan book
Belden/Spec Lake #9
Monterey
Allegan
30
W
NW corner of 126th Ave & 35th St
Allegan book p. 81. Photo of school p. 81. In 1952 there were 56 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Also called Spec Lake School
Bellingham #6
Gun Plain
Allegan
15
W
Intersections of Marsh & Pierce Rds
Allegan book p. 7. Photo in book. In 1945 there were 30 students enrolled
Berry/Beechdale #7
Casco
Allegan
15
W
1864-1967
N side of 106th Ave at 65th
Allegan book p. 6. Photo of school p. 6. Basement used as a classroom in 1914 + a room was added in 1940. Charles Hurlbut, Student. Teacher: Nelson Ransom. Charles is deceased, his brother Frank of South Haven has a photo. Still standing in 1998. Contact: Frank Hurlbut, 67663 CR 388 No. 17, South Haven, MI
Blackman #2
Trowbridge
Allegan
1
W
1973
2 miles E of Allegan on M-89 & 26th St
Privately owned. Allegan book p. 8. Photo of school p. 8 in around 1967. In 1967 there were 113 students enrolled. 2 rooms? Pic
Blossom #5
Martin
Allegan
2
W
E side of 4th St & S of 124th Ave
Residence. Allegan book p. 8. Photo on p. 8
Bowles/Belknap #8
Ganges
Allegan
27
W
1928-29
E side of 66th St, S of 116 Ave
Gone. Black River Gun Club. Sometimes called Belknap School. Student: Frank Conner attended 4th grade, about 1947. MORSA. History of Allegan County. Allegan book p. 7. Photo of school p. 7. Pic
Bradley/Wayland #2
Wayland
Allegan
B?
1974
At 1015 129th Ave about 1/2 mile E of the Gun Lake Casino
Fractional.? History of Allegan County. p. 9. Also known as Wayland School. Wayland Twp Hall Organic Foods Enterprise? Photo in Allegan book p. 9. Pic
Bravo/Oak Grove
Clyde
Allegan
32
113th Ave, E of 56th St
Privately owned. Allegan book p. 8. Photo of school in around 1967. In 1967 there were 113 enrolled students enrolled. 2 rooms?
Brininger #3
Valley
Allegan
17
W?
NE corner of 46th St & 119th Ave
Allegan book p. 10. Photo on p. 10
Brinkman/Pioneer #1
Laketown
Allegan
12
Clapboard
NW corner of 145th Ave & 61st St
Allegan book p. 70. Photo captioned Pioneer School West of Graafschap. In 1945 there were 62 students enrolled. Schoolhouse now owned by David Bolles. History of Allegan County
Brown #2
Cheshire
Allegan
32
W
SE corner of 102nd Ave & 46th St
Allegan book p. 11. Photo on p. 11. In 1951 there were no students enrolled
Brownell/Jewett
Allegan
Allegan
8
W
1888-1964
Dumont Rd & 122nd St
DORS, MOVED to Allegan County Fairgrounds. Part of the 100th birthday in July 1988. There are other historical buildings nearby. Open Fair Week. Standard School in 1922. MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517. Building later moved. Also known as Jewett School
Burnips Corner #3
Salem
Allegan
15
B
1856-
E side of 30th St, between Burnips & Salem Center
Allegan book p.12. Photo on p. 12. School building or log school erected at Salem Center. In 1876 a new frame building was erected at Burnip's Corners. It was a two-room brick building. It was organized into a graded school of 10 grades in 1886. There were two teachers and 110 pupils. Hist of Allegan. Co. p. 530
Burrows #2
Lee
Allegan
19
W
NW corner of 104th Ave & 58th St
Allegan book p. 12. Photo of school on p. 12. In 1962 there were 54 students enrolled
Burton #6
Heath
Allegan
1
W
1886-
SE corner of M-40 & S of 128th Ave
History of Allegan County. Allegan book p. 13. Photo on p. 13. Still standing in 2000. Allegan County Historical Atlas & Gazetteer indicates this school was located in Section 28 not in section 1. In 1961 there were 7 students enrolled
Butler/High Point #5
Overisel
Allegan
26
W
1928-32
N side of 139th Ave, & E of 45th St
Allegan book p. 38. Photo of school p. 38. In 1946 there were 18 students enrolled. Also known as High Point School. History of Allegan County
Buys/Rice #5
Casco
Allegan
6
W
1862-1962
71th St between 11th Ave & 109th Ave
Built in 1862, replaced in 1894. Also known as Rice School. In 1962 students transferred to South Haven. Remodeled as a residence in 1994. Still standing. History of Allegan County, See Buys School
Calkins/Crill #2
Valley
Allegan
10
W
NE corner of 21st Ave & 41st St
Allegan book p. 14. Photo of school on page 14. Also known as Crill School
Chamberlain
Hopkins
Allegan
2
1975
135th Ave & 16th St
Gone. Pic
Chase #5
Saugatuck
Allegan
33
W
closed by July 1956
SE corner 126th Ave & 68th St
Allegan book p. 15. Photo of school on p. 15. History of Allegan County. Operated until July 1956 when annexed to Fennville School system. Building was sold and moved to Ganges Township & converted into residence
Clifford #6
Trowbridge
Allegan
10
W? or CB?
-1963
N side of 108th Ave, E of 30th. Moved 1 mile S of Pullman in 1963
Allegan book p. 16. Photo of school p. 16. Moved in 1963, 1 mile S of Pullman. Owned by William Sweet. In 1955 there were 40 students enrolled. History of Allegan County, page 517
Colf #5
Manlius
Allegan
7
W
1975
W side of 58th St between 132nd & 133rd
Allegan book p. 16. Photo of school p. 16. Gone, torn-down. Was a large school with 5 windows on each side. History of Allegan County. In 1957 there were 26 students enrolled. Pic
Corning #5
Leighton
Allegan
15
W
N side of 142nd Ave, W of Corning
Allegan book p. 17. Photo on p. 17. In 1962 there were 26 students enrolled
Crittendon #6
Martin
Allegan
4
W
NW corner of 7th St & 122nd Ave
Allegan book p. 17. Photo of school p. 17. History of Allegan County
Crow #4
Casco
Allegan
25
B?
1860-1974
SW corner of 102nd Ave & 62nd St
Allegan book p. 18. Photo of school p. 18. Moved to a field on Baseline Rd near Lacota. Built in 1860. Closed in 1974. 1974 farm building remodeled as a residence. In 1962 there were 31 students enrolled
Dallas #7
Monterey
Allegan
12
W
1973
2 miles E of Monterey Center on the N. side of 134th Ave & S of 26th St, 134th Ave, S of 26th St
Allegan book p. 18. Photo of school p. 18. In 1962 there were 23 students enrolled. Pic
Darling #3
Ganges
Allegan
20
W
Closed 7/31/1962
S side of 118th Ave between US 31 & 70th St, E of 68th St
Allegan book p. 19. Photo of school p. 19. History of Allegan County. Annexed to Fennville School District in 1962. Extant. Private residence
Diamond Springs #8
Salem
Allegan
31
W
NE corner of 136th Ave & 34th St
Allegan book p. 20. Photo of school on p. 20. In 1962 there were 25 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Dorr #5
Dorr
Allegan
15
W/B?
1860-
NE corner of 142nd Ave & 18th St
Allegan book p. 20. Photo of school p. 20. City of Dorr. First schoolhouse was built in Dorr around 1860 (possibly of logs). The school was moved in 1908 and then possibly built as a wooden frame. All grades and subjects were taught according to Clem Rewa of Dorr. In 1961 there were 12 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Doster #7
Gun Plain
Allegan
20
Log/W
1837
At the 4 corners on the S side of 106th St
Log school in 1834. Red frame photo of Allegan book p. 21. Photo of school p. 21. In 1955 there were 16 students enrolled. Appears to be a residence now. Photo in gallery
Douglas Union #9
Saugatuck
Allegan
2
W
1836 or 1866?
Saugatuck Township
Allegan book p. 21. Photo of school p. 21. Built in 1866. On the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. The school is one of Michigan's oldest extant multi-classroom union school buildings, constructed soon after the state law authorizing union schools was adopted. It currently serves as the Old School House History Center. It is possible this is NOT Douglas Union but Douglas Elementary
Dunningville #1
Heath
Allegan
27
W/B?
1888-1973
W side of M-40, & N of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 212. Photo of school p. 22. In 1962 there were 26 students enrolled. Pic
Dunwell/Wicks #5
Watson
Allegan
2
W
1975
123rd Ave & 15th St
Allagan book p. 90. Photo of school p. 90. Also school of same name in Hopkins Township. History of Allegan County. Pic
East Saugatuck #5
Manlius
Allegan
7
W
S side of 136th Ave & E of 57th St
Allegan book p. 22. Photo of school page 22. In 1945 there were 20 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Elm Hill/Watson Corners #2
Watson
Allegan
27
W
SW corner of 116 Ave & 16th St
Allegan book p. 23. Photo of school p. 23. History of Allegan County. See Watson Corners School. Converted into a residence. Contact: Virginia Van Horn, 40279 Baseline Rd, Bloomingdale, MI 49026. In 1958 there were 28 students enrolled
Evergreen Glade/Sheffer #9
Casco
Allegan
29
W
1878-1952
NE corner of 103rd & 1 mile W of 68th St
Allegan book p. 23. Photo of school on p. 23. Originally called Sheffer School. In 1970 there were no students enrolled. Converted into a residence.
Fairview #3
Monterey
Allegan
23
B
1973
2 miles E of Monterey Center on the corner of 26th St & 130th Ave
Allegan book p. 24. Photo of school p. 24. In 1951 there were 14 students enrolled. Pic
Farnum/Farnham #2
Casco
Allegan
29
W
1856-1955
Located on 103rd Ave, E of 72nd St
Allegan book p. 24. Photo of school p. 24. School burned down in 1998 and was torn-down.1 mi N of S Haver, E of Blue Star Hwy, "Casco Township History" Also shown as Section 36. In 1945 there were 24 students enrolled
Fennville #2
Manlius
Allegan
32
W
N side of M-89 W of 48th or 58th St
In 1898 District #2 was organized for HS. Up until that time the old building W of the village had school. In 1898 a new brick building was erected on the N side of Main St & the old school was abandoned. History of Allegan Co. p. 529
Ferris #4
Cheshire
Allegan
18
W
E of 46th St, N of 106th Ave
Allegan book p. 25. Photo of school p. 25. In 1962 there were 30 students enrolled. In 1974 privately owned. History of Allegan County
Fillmore/Beeline
Fillmore
Allegan
25
W
M-40 & 50th St, S of Fillmore
MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517
Foster #4
Trowbridge
Allegan
20
B?
1888
6 miles S of Allegan on M-40 between 104th & 106th St
Allegan book p. 26. Photo of school p. 26. In 1962 there were 20 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Franklin #5
Salem
Allegan
5
W
NE corner of 146th Ave & 34th St
Allegan book p. 26. Photo of school p. 26
Frayer #3
Heath
Allegan
1
W
SW corner of 136th Ave & 38th St
Allegan book p. 27. Photo of school p. 27. History of Allegan County
Frohm #1
Hopkins
Allegan
2
1974
Allegan book p. 4. Photo of site where school was. Not gone p. 14. History of Allegan County. Pic
Ganges Union #10
Ganges
Allegan
10
B
1867-1961
Blue Star Highway & 122nd Ave
Allegan book p. 28. Photo of school p. 28. In 1959 there were 56 students enrolled. Residence
Gardner #5
Wayland
Allegan
15
W
W 131st Ave about 7th St
Allegan book p. 29. Photo of school p. 29. Close to falling down. Very poor condition
Garvelink/Maplewood
Fillmore
Allegan
5
1973
146th Ave, E of Graafschap
History of Allegan County. Also known as Maplewood School. Student: Dave Norem, Clarksville, TN. See Garvelink School. Burned and rebuilt in 1916 on Buchanan Street. Converted into a residence. Not listed in Allegan book. Pic
Gibson #2
Laketown
Allegan
27
W
Located at intersection of 140th Ave & 65th St
Allegan book p. 29. 3 photos of school p. 29. Contact: Murlyn Vollink, 257 Brook St, Saugatuck, MI
Gidley #4
Manlius
Allegan
20
W
closed 7/11/1960
N side 128th Ave at 56th
Allegan book p. 30. Photo of school p. 30. History of Allegan County. In 1957 there were 21 students enrolled
Gilbert #1
Dorr
Allegan
1
NE 146th & 14th St in Dorr Township
Allegan book p. 30. Photo of former site on p. 30
Glenn/Crawford #4
Ganges
Allegan
31
B
1854-1997?
114th Ave & 64th St
Allegan book p. 31. Photo of school before addition to the front p. 31. Photo entitled "Our Amazing Little Red School House" Located in Ganges Township. In 1962 there were 64 students enrolled. Built in 1854. Still in operation in 1997. Also known as Crawford School
Goodman/Maple Grove
Salem
Allegan
17
1974
142nd Ave & 34th St, 2 miles W of Bunker Hill at Burnips
MORSA. History of Allegan County p. 517. Pic
Grable//Lewis/Little Red Schoolhouse #9
Otsego
Allegan
17
B
1973
108th Ave, SE corner of M-89, 2 miles W of Otsego
Allegan book p. 31. Photo of school. p. 31. Now owned or was owned by Michigan author, Larry Massie. Now an Antique shop. Owned by Esther Wyman. Also known as Grable School and Lewis School. History of Allegan County. Pic
Gramges #6
Ganges
Allegan
6
B
closed by 10/1960
6292 114th Ave, Fennville
Standard School. Annexed to Fennville in 1961. State Historic Site. Residence in 1959. In 1959 there were 56 students enrolled
Grange Hall Lewis #10
Ganges
Allegan
10
SW 122nd Ave & 66th St
Allegan book p. 32. Seeking photo of school. History of Allegan County
Green Lake/Chappell #3
Leighton
Allegan
10
B?
1976
Located at 7th St & 146th
Allegan book p. 15. Photo of school p. 15. Now a residence. In 1955 there were 38 students enrolled. Pic
Gregg School #3
Wayland
Allegan
26
W
1850-
N side of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 32. Photo of students in front of school. p. 32. County Little Red Schoolhouse built in 1850 in the village of Wayland. It was 16 ft X 20 ft. In 1879 Wayland became a grade school and a brick school was built. This building burned in 1896. Fortunately a new two-story brick school with a basement was built to replace it. It is steam heated, well lighted, ventilated and furnished. It goes to 12th grade and is now on the approved list of Normal Schools. History of Allegan p. 531
Gregoryville #10, #11
Wayland
Allegan
10
W?
NE side of Gregorville Rd
Allegan book p. 33. Photo of school with students out front p. 33. Photo from circa 1930
Gun River #7
Martin
Allegan
23
W?
SW corner 2nd St & 118th Ave
Allegan book p. 33. Photo of school p. 33
Hadaway #6
Casco
Allegan
9
Log/Stucco
1868-1962?
SW corner on 109th Ave on E side of 68th St between 111th & 109th Ave
Allegan book p 34. Photo of school p. 34. Log school burned in 1918. Replacement school moved to Section 4 and built of Stucco. Now a residence. In 1961 there were 31 students enrolled
Hamilton #5
Heath
Allegan
6
B
M-40 S of 135th Ave
Allegan book p. 34 Photo of school p. 34. Has more than one classroom
Hamilton #6
Wayland
Allegan
3
W
S side of 130th Ave & W of 6th St
Allegan book p. 35. Photo of school p. 35
Harper #7
Trowbridge
Allegan
26
W
1973
E side 28th St, N of 102nd Ave
Allegan p. 35. Photo of school p. 35. Owner J Mohr. History of Allegan County. In 1962 there were 25 students enrolled. Pic
Hart/White
Otsego
Allegan
20
S of Jefferson Rd near Gobles
Gobles. Also known as White School. MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517. Paw Paw True Northerner, August 4, 1900 "Globeville. The White schoolhouse four miles north of here was burned to the ground last Thursday night." Also known as Hart School.
Hartzig/Bartz #3
Dorr
Allegan
6
B
S side of 147th & E 24th St
Allegan p. 36. Photo of school/home p. 36. History of Allegan County. Now a residence. Also known as Bartz School
Hawthorn #2
Overisel
Allegan
2
W
1978
N 146th between 38th & 40th St
Allegan book p. 37. Photo of school p. 37. History of Allegan County. In 1962 there were 66 students enrolled (appears to be more than 1 room) Pic
Hettinger/Messinger #5
Valley
Allegan
21
W
NW corner of 117th (Monroe) & 42nd St
Allegan book p. 36. Photo of school p 36. History of Allegan County
Hicks/East Arlington #5
Trowbridge
Allegan
25
W
NE corner of 26th St & 103rd Ave, S/26
Owned by Archie Cullum in 1973. Ken Scott (per Jim Starbuck) 14894 23rd St, Gobles, MI 49055. Ph: 628-2564. May also have been known as East Arlington School. In 1962 there were 20 students enrolled. Allegan book p. 37. Photo of school p. 37
Hill/Moore #2
Valley
Allegan
21
W
1973
S side of Monroe Rd & W of 37th St
Allegan book p. 61. Photo of school, dated 1922. p. 36. The school is apparently gone. Moved or torn-down. History of Allegan County. Also known as Moore school. Pic
Hillards #6
Hopkins
Allegan
5
W
1974
S side 135th Ave E of 22nd St
Allegan book p. 39. Photo of school p. 39. History of Allegan County. Pic
Hillside #8
Dorr
Allegan
28
NW corner 138th Ave & 18th St
Allegan book p. 40. No photo available in book. In 1952 there were no students enrolled
Hilton #10
Lee
Allegan
29
W
closed by 09/1957
SE corner of 108th or 109th Ave & 52nd St
Allegan book p. 41. No photo available at time of publication. Contact: Mrs. Alice Newcomb, 308 E. Orleans St, Otsego, MI 49078. Ph# 694-6872. Also known as Gates School
Hooker #1
Leighton
Allegan
34
W
E side of Kalamazoo River, S of 139th Ave
Allegan book p. 41. Photo of school/residence p. 41. History of Allegan County. In 1962 there were 26 students enrolled
Hooper #10
Gun Plain
Allegan
N side of 110th Ave, E of 10th St
Allegan book p. 41. No photo of school available. History of Allegan County
Hopkins #6
Hopkins
Allegan
10
W
W side of 22nd St & S of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 42. Photo on p. 42
Hopkinsburg #9
Hopkins
Allegan
27
W
16th St, N of 128th Ave
Photo in Gallery. Allegan book p. 42. Photo on p. 42. History of Allegan County
Horseshoe #4
Lee
Allegan
25
W
SE corner of 104th Ave & 50th St
Allegan book p. 43. Photo of school p. 43. In 1962 there were 20 students enrolled
Hoyer/Oakview #6
Monterey
Allegan
17
B
1899-1962?
NE corner of 130th Ave & 34th St
Allegan book p. 65. Photo of brick school p. 65. In 1962 there were 19 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Also called Oakview School
Hoyerville Pullen/Otto
Otsego
Allegan
30
1974
102nd Ave, W of 23rd St
Residence. MORSA. History of Allegan County. Pic
Hudson Corners #3
Allegan
Allegan
26
W
1973
2 miles N of Allegan on 30th St & 118th Ave W of Current Town Hall
Near Township Hall. Allegan book p. 43. Photo on page 43. In 1962 there were 63 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Pic
Hughes #11
Watson
Allegan
35
W
1973
2 miles S of Watson Corners on 16th St & N of 112th Ave
Allegan book p. 44. Photo p. 44. In 1962 there were 12 students enrolled. Pic
Huver #6
Leighton
Allegan
1
E side of 2nd St, N of 146th Ave
Allegan book p. 44. Photo unavailable. In 1952 there were no students enrolled
Iddles #3
Casco
Allegan
11
Log/W/B
1859-closed 5/1962
S of 109th Ave between 64th & 62nd. Near the big spring where Indians had a campground
Allegan book p. 45. Photo of school/residence p. 45. Moved to Harry Litt's farm and was used as a packing shed in fruit season by migrant workers. Built in 1859 and still standing in 1998. In 1962 it was housing for migrant workers 2-24. Looks like very nice residence Red brick school built 1901 School used for 103 years
Ikler/Walker/Fraser
Clyde
Allegan
25
B
See Ikeler/Walker/Fraser
Indian Trail #4
Salem
Allegan
9
W
SW 30th St & 146th Ave in Salem Township
Allegan book p. 46. Photo on p. 46. In 1954 there were 31 students enrolled
Jackson/Whitemeyer #49
Clyde
Allegan
9
W
E side of 52nd St, N of 120th Ave
Allegan book p. 45. History of Allegan County
Jewett/Brownell #5
Allegan
Allegan
5
1888-1964
John Pahl Historic Village, Allegan Co. Fairgrounds
Photo in gallery. Part of the Allegan Fairgrounds Historical Village. Celebrated 100th birthday in July 1988. See Brownell School
Jones #2
Dorr
Allegan
3
B
NE corner of 146th Ave & 17th St
Allegan book p. 47. Photo on p. 47. History of Allegan County. In 1962 there were 30 students enrolled
bottom of page