top of page

Needed to be awarded Standard School and given a brass plaque for their front door

​​

1.  School year of nine months

2.  Suitable salary

3.  Proper lighting

4.  School grounds of at least 1/2 acre

5.  Schoolhouse in good repair

6.  Well or sanitary drinking fountain

7.  Hardwood floors

8.  Heating and ventilating system

9.  Library of 80 volumes

10.  Seats and desks suitable for all ages

11.  Good blackboards with some for small children

12.  A dictionary, flag, maps, charts, glove, organ, and pictures

Database of Michigan Schoolhouses

Welcome to the Michigan Schoolhouse Database collected by the Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association.

Containing more than seven-thousand entries, it is one of the largest available databases for Michigan schoolhouses.

Schoolhouse Type
Description
Features
Time Period
Log
Logs filled with chinks, maybe newspaper
Crude benches, gas lanterns, no desk, no windows
Predominant before 1880
Wood Frame (W)
Wood frame, some windows & at least 1 door
Outside privies, wood stove, gas lanterns, well outside
Late 19th Century on
Outside privies, pot belly wood stove, gas lanterns, well
Brick (B)
Brick, windows, doors, floors, & desks
Gas lanterns, wood stove, & outside privies, well outside
Late 19th century on
Cement blocks. Usually made on-site
Cement Block (CD)
Well, wood stove, privies, gas lanterns
Modern era
Stucco
Stucco exterior finish
Similar amenities to wood & brick schools
Varied late 19th century on, rare
Cobblestones (CB)
Cobblestones collected from the farm fields
Similar amenities to wood & brick schools
Varied, rare
County
Township
School & School #
Section
BM
Year
Location
Notes
Alcona
Curtis
Aldrich
1888-1892
London Rd 1/2 mile E of Stout Rd
Can't find on map
Alcona
Mikado
Alvin
26
W
1931
Michaud & Alvin Rd
Closed in 1931
Alcona
Hawes
Backus Beach
2
On S shores of Hubbard Lake
Located in the Hubbard Lake CDP (Census, demographic and population)
Alcona
Gustin
Backus Creek
21
W
1888-1892
London Rd 1/2 mile E of Stout Rd
Now a residence
Alcona
Harrisville
Bailey
1 or 2
Log/W
1907-1941
1.5 miles N of Harrisville, 6071 Point Road, Trail to school
When closed students went to Oscoda. In 1973 Township began a partial restoration, and in 1998 it was moved near Sturgeon Point Lighthouse. Now a museum. See listing under Museums on MORSA site * Picture on website & Exterior & Interior on Google
Alcona
Hawes
Barber/Ritchie
1
W
1902-
Somers & Sucker Creek Rds
Burned. Only foundation remains
Alcona
Millen
Bean Hill
31
CB
1911-1956
Walker & Bean Hill Rds
Private Hunting Camp Association
Alcona
Alcona
Black River/Sand Hill
14
1850-
Black River & Sand Hill Rds
Annexed to Alcona Community Schools. Black River School itself is demolished
Alcona
Mitchell
Cedardale
W
1908-1941
Original location on Kohler Rd just N of M-72
Moved to a 2nd location in 1930. SE corner of M-72 & Kohler Rd at Reid Lake Trail Head. Alcona Historical Society Sign on Site
Alcona
Mitchell
Cloverdale
21
W
1909-1948
Demolished sometime after 1948
Alcona
Mitchell
Curran
W
1932-
Opened in 1932
Alcona
Curtis
Curtisville 2nd
17
Log
1884
8465 Clouse Rd, S Beach, MI 48671
Both schools at same site. Now Curtisville Civil Center
Alcona
Mitchell
Daisy Dell
1888-1948
5130 Alcona Rd
First school was a logging camp. This school is now a hunting club and still stands on original site
Alcona
Mitchell
Flynn Valley
1914-
Flynn Valley Rd, Oakland Hunt Club, Curran, MI
Hunting club
Alcona
Mitchell
Flynn Valley/Daisy Dell
NF
1911
Doctors Club Rd, Curran, MI
Also known as Daisy Dell School. The Flynn School was purchased and moved to Curran to live in while building a new home. It still stands on that property in Curran. Flynn School was used on Sundays and Sunday School was held there as late as 1936. Also, this is where Sutton School burned-down. First school moved to Curran. Story of Flynn Valley by Goldie P. (Crowell Wilcox, May 1967)
Alcona
Haynes
French Town
31
W
1880-
6849 Tower Rd, Curran, MI 48728, Township Hall
Annexed to Alcona Community Schools. Currently used as Mitchell Township Hall
Alcona
Alcona
Glennie
CB
1911-1948
Glennie Elementary School closed in 2010, K-5
Celcom Community Schools
Alcona
Greenbush
Greenbush
3
W
1870-1947
Present Location: 5029 Campbell Rd, N side of State Rd, Harrisville, MI 48738
Owned by Greenbush Historical Society. A Michigan Registered Historic Site 1979. School began with 24 students, K-8. Located in Village of Greenbush. During the lumbering era the school served up to 60 students. Moved next to the Township Hall. See listing under Museums on MORSA site * Picture on Google Exterior & Interior
Alcona
Gustin
Gustin
W
1800's
Fowler Rd
Only foundation remains. Three additions
Alcona
Harrisville
Hadley/Harrisville
26
Log
1908-1920
Closed in 1920
Alcona
Haynes
Haynes
1927-1947
3993 E McNeil Rd
Alcona
Millen
Hungarian
CB
1913-
Millen Rd
Standing, 1/2 mile S of Flower Rd. Annexed to Alcona Community Schools
Alcona
Haynes
Johnson
17
W
1927-1947
3930 E McNeil Rd, just W of McGregor Rd
Alcona County Historical Site. Currently Haynes Township Hall since 1963 * Picture on Google
Alcona
Mikado
Klondike
5
W
1910-after-1931
433 E F-30 at Buhl Rd, Mikado, MI
Original wood school burned-down in 1906 destroying everything. Was rebuilt at same site, but now only foundation remains
Alcona
Curtis
Lakeview
W
Healy & Banfield Rds, 1/2 mile W of Glennie
Now a residence
Alcona
Mikado
Limerick
13
W
1904-1942
Was located on E side of F-41
Torn-down and lumber used to build a Lovelace Rd residence
Alcona
Alcona
Liston
20
W
SE corner of Sayers Rd
Now a residence
Alcona
Curtis
Lott
27
W
1908
Probably located in or near Glennie
Alcona
Alcona
Low
1880's - after-1908
Was at SW corner of Lake Shore Dr & Alger Smith Rd
Alcona County Historical Site. Vacant school, but Bell to school is located at Alcona Township Hall * Picture of Sign & Bell
Alcona
Mikado
Mikado
12
W
1902-
Located on Mikado Rd
Gone. Was a two-room school
Alcona
Millen
Millen
CB
Millen Rd, 1/2 mile S of Fowler Rd
Vacant
Alcona
Mitchell
Mitchell
Log
1911-
6849 W Tower Rd, Curran, MI
Currently Mitchell Township Hall. * Picture on Google - Poor Quality
Alcona
Haynes
Mount Joy
11
B
1888-1948
5130 Alcona Rd between US-23 & Lake Shore Dr
Alcona County Historical Site. Currently a residence located across from cemetery. * Picture on Google
Alcona
Curtis
NF
Log
1884
Curtisville Rd
Land donated by Lumber Company Moore & Tanner. First school built west of Au Sable River
Alcona
Caledonia
Norwegian/McDonald
8
W
E side of School Rd between Spruce & Swede Rds
No longer standing
Alcona
Caledonia
Pine Grove
3
W
1902-1939
6540 Hickey Hill Rd in Hubbard Lake
Residence. Pine Grove School Annexed to Alcona Community Schools
Alcona
Haynes
Pine/Pyne
21
W
1901-1945
On the E side of Poor Farm Rd, 1/3emile S of Quick Rd
Abandoned. * Picture on Google - Poor Quality
Alcona
Greenbush
Poor Farm
W
-1954
Mikado & Coville Rds, F-30
Annexed in 1954 to Oscoda Public Schools. Moved in 1979. Vacant
Alcona
Haynes
Silverthorn
25
W
1870-1921
Silverthorn Family Farm, S/25
Fisher Grange in Harrisville
Alcona
Harrisville
Wilson
31
W
1931
Barlow & Procunier Rds
3rd building part of Knights of Columbus building in Lincoln
Alger
Mathias
#3
Had a horse drawn school bus in 1919
Alger
Au Train
Au Train
Log
1905
School may have closed about 1905
Alger
Harrisville
Birch School
Sunday School held here at least in 1881. By 1885 it was turned into a residence
Alger
Rock River
Chatham
1896
2nd story added in 1915. Principal was paid $80.00 and teachers were paid $50.00 per month. A new school at Chatham, $25,000 bond issue was voted down in May 1914. $15,000 for a new school in Eben and $10,000 for rebuilding Chatham 47 to 28. In June a $20,000 bond was approved 49 to 15
Alger
Au Train
Coalwood
Near Stillman & Wyman Rds
Alger
Au Train
Cold Springs
1919
Closed in 1919. Jacob Luoma, $2,094
Alger
Onota
Deerton
1926
After burning down in 1926 the school was immediately re-built
Alger
Demling
1907-still 1912
School moved to Ferguson
18 ft X 34 ft structure built by John Keya for $750.00. New school built by Matt Kamppinen for $4,344.77. School moved to Ferguson in 1912
Alger
Limestone
Diffin #1
US-41, S of the W Branch of the White Fish River
Alger
Winters
Dorsey
Alger
Limestone
Eben
Alger
Rock River
Eben Junction
1915 (2nd)
All children attended Eben. They built 3 schools over time. The first school was built in 1904 and the 2nd school was built in 1915
Alger
Munising
Grand Island City #1
Alger
Burt
Grand Marais
1885-current
Serves entirety of Burt Township almost 240 sq miles
In 1896 the Village of Munising needed a building to serve grades K-12. This building first called Central and later Froebel School, was completed Jan 1, 1897. It was a two-story frame building with a basement. In 1896 the Village constructed a West Ward School for that end of town. After paying the last payment on Central School on Dec. 21, 1920 the school burned. A new modern school was built with an auditorium, gym and indoor pool. A new Munising High School was built on the shore of Lake Superior in 1980 at a cost of 5 million dollars
Alger
Mathias
Hawley
Log
1880's
Was made of logs and opened circa 1880's
Alger
Munising
Indian Town/Thomasville
Located in Munising, Van Meer & Shingleton Rds
Ojibwe Village. Book on Indian Town won Michigan Historical Society Award
Alger
Mathias
Jack Walls
1908
Replaced the burned down Stevens School
Alger
Munising
Jenney Station
Alger
Joe Stevens
1908
Alger
Munising
Kentucky
Located on Doe Lake Rd, W of Kentucky Trail
Alger
Limestone
Kiva #3
Was located on or near what became US-41
Alger
Limestone
Limestone
1890
Alger
Munising
Lincoln
B
1916
New 8 room school to replace the old West Ward School. Could accommodate 300 in grades 1st-8th in individual classrooms
Alger
Grand Island
Little Red Schoolhouse
2
Driftwood
Webster Rd & Oceans Dr
Was still standing in 1985
Alger
Louds Spur
Loud
8
1908-
S/8
Built by Matt & Isaac Kamppinen
Alger
Limestone
McAfee - No #
1908-
At Diffin Village
Was the 2nd school in Diffin. Teacher salary to be paid at the end each month if there was enough money in the treasury
Alger
Munising
Melstrand
Unincorporated community at the Junction of County Highways H-58 and H-52. It was a sawmill village with a railway station and post office that closed in 1926
Alger
Munising
Munising
Log
1847
After the highway went through the Grand Island Township, kids were transported to Munising from 1936-1941
Alger
Munising
Munising Station (Wetmore)
Log
before 1891
Alger
Munising
Myren
Alger
Mathias
North Stevens
1888
Burned
Alger
Au Train
Paulson House
Log
circa 1884-
National Register of Historic Places, 1972. Large log cabin. Upper floor was a district school according to Michigan Historic Site Sign on property. "The Paulson House has been restored and serves as a museum of pioneer life"
Alger
Munising
Petrel
On the E side of Poor Farm Rd, 1/4 mile S of Quick Rd
Alger
Grand Island
Powell's Point
before 1915
Alger
Au Train
Ridge
Near Ridge Rd & the Duluth, S Shore & Atlantic RR
Alger
Rock River
Rock River
1885
First school on the N side of the track near the bridge. The first teacher had 20 students. The school is well furnished with maps, a globe and in good shape in every way as reported in the the Mining Journal. The 2nd schoolhouse was a two-story building, the lower level for school and upstairs for a Community Center. Sunday School was held there as well. In 1892 two sisters from Midland County came to teach at Rock River. Alice had the Rock River School and Agnes the Hawley School. Rock River is now gone
Alger
Rock River
Rumely
1886-
Near Au Sable River by Sundell & Dorsey Rds
Built in 1923 by Matt Lammi & Alex Jokipii for $5,358
Alger
Munising
Sacred Heart (Catholic)
B
1913-1970
Photo on Internet is under Old Sacred Heart School (Munising, Michigan)
Alger
Onota
Schaeffer's Camp
B
Alger
Onota
Schaffer
1881
Frame complex was built by the company which also included other building
Alger
Munising
Schoolcraft #2
1867
Oldest Township of Munising. In 1876 Munising #2 was built and was a two-story schoolhouse. Top floor to be the Township Hall. Cost $20,000
Alger
Onota
Shelter Bay
Located on M-28 between Munising & Marquette
Alger
Munising
Shingleton
B
before 1891
County Rd in Cusino State Wildlife Research Area
2 Photos on Internet. Began as a station on the Detroit, Mackinaw & Marquette RR in 1882. Town known for making shingles. Originated as Jeromesville.
Alger
Au Train
Sixteen Mile Lake
443 acre natural lake in Au Train Township
1 of 3 dams. Dams/logging closed by 1947/48
Alger
Rock River
Slapneck
Alger
Rock River
Sundell
Located nearby to Dorsey & Rumely Rds
Alger
Munising
Thomasville (Indiantown)
before 1891
See Indiantown School
Alger
Limestone
Traunik
1890
School was closed until spring because of a large amount of snow. In 1890 a school was built at Limestone Creek
Alger
Mathias
Trenary
1916
In 1916, a High School was built. Trenary School in 2024 was 11 miles N of the village
Alger
Onota
Tyoga/Tioga
Web site: Tyoga Historical Pathway, Ghost Town. 2 mile long interpretive hiking trail. No buildings left. Founded in 1900, but abandoned. Mill on the Laughing Whitefish River. In 1908 a school was built. The schoolhouse was moved by a sleigh and horse team along the railroad grade to Deerton where it still stands
Alger
Au Train
Vall
W of the Rapid River Truck Trail
Alger
Munising
Van Meer
A two-room brick school was completed in 1921. After the 1951-52 year all of the Van Meer and Melstrand students were bused to Shingleton. The Shingleton School opened in 1923, with 2 teachers in two-rooms teaching 8 grades. One teacher then taught the remaining 6 grades. Those grades were divided into two sections, with that lasting until 1952 when grades 5th and 6th were also transferred to Munising. Annexed in 1961. School was closed and the building was sold to the Shingleton Recreation Club
Alger
Munising
Village/City #4
1876
Two-story building also between Stonewall. Cost $10,000
Alger
Munising
West Ward School
1896-1913
In 1896 construction started for a school in the W end of town. In 1916 it replaced the West Ward School and was called Lincoln. Lincoln had 8 classrooms and could accommodate 300 children in Grades 1 thru 8
Alger
Munising
Wetmore/Station #3
1874
From 1881-1897 classes were held regularly. In 1883, 60 children both Indian and White were enrolled. (Although only 40 attended regularly). In 1936, a fire destroyed Wetmore School. A 3rd school was built on the site in 1937 and used until 1945 when students were transferred to Munising. The school was turned into a residence
Alger
Onota
Whitefish
Alger
Mathias
Winters
1908-
Alger
Munising
Wyman's School of the Woods
1909-1915
Students came from all over the USA to learn about lumber management and conservation. School was nationally famous. Closed during WWI. Entire site on internet. Archives at Michigan State University archives
Allegan
Watson
Abronia/Wright #10
31
W
1976
W side of 22nd St & S of 114th
Allegan book p. 92. Photo of school p. 92. Standard School. History of Allegan County. Per: Karen Cox (Mathes), a nurse, who was a student in 1961, 62, & 63. Located on Hendrickson property. Pic
Allegan
Overisel
Albers/Highland #4
29
B
N side of 139th Ave & E of 45th St
Allegan book p. 38. Photo of school p. 38. In 1945, 34 students were enrolled. Looks to have 2-3 classrooms. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Allegan
Allegan
18
MORSA. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Wayland
Angell #6
27
W
S side of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 2. Photo of school p. 2. Appears to be a wooden-frame building. Photo of school and children in 1924-25. Photo says District #7
Allegan
Allegan
Babylon #7
17
W
1973
Babylon Rd & 34th St (M-89)
Allegan book p. 3. Photo of school p. 3. In 1960, 52 students were enrolled. Standard School in 1922. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Gun Plain
Banning/Neeley #9
1
B
Just N of intersection at Marsh & Pine Rds
Allegan book p. 3. Appears to be a brick school. Photo of school p. 3. In 1952, 47 students were enrolled. Photo of school possibly taken in 1973
Allegan
Saugatuck
Barrager #7
36
W or B
1850-6/14/1956
E side of 64th St & S of 127th Ave
Allegan book p. 4. Photo of school p. 4. It is either wooden-frame or possibly brick. Converted into a residence in 1998
Allegan
Otsego
Barton/Gates #6
6
1 1/4 miles N of Otsego on NW corner of E & W Crossroads (108th Ave & 15th St)
Allegan book p. 4. No photo available at time of publication. Contact: Mrs. Alice Newcomb, 308 E. Orleans St, Otsego, MI 49078. Ph: 694-6872. Also known as Gates School
Allegan
Cheshire
Baseline #3
34
W
Corner of Baseline Rd & 42nd St
Allegan book p. 5. Photo of school p. 5. It appears to be a wooden-frame school. In 1951, 16 students were enrolled
Allegan
Hopkins
Bear Creek #4
20
B?
1899-
1 mile N of Hopkins on 22nd St & 132nd Ave
Allegan book p. 5. Photo of school. p. 5. Allegan Gazette, Oct. 21, 1899. Hopkins preparing to build brick schoolhouse. Cost $1,025. In 1951, 15 students were enrolled
Allegan
Fillmore
Becksvoort/Klomparens/Westview #5
19
B?
1973
5130 Alcona Rd between US-23 & Lake Shore Dr
Allegan book p. 88. Photo of School p. 88. Known as Westview, Klomparens and Becksvoort School. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Overisel
Beechwood/Koopman
9
144th Ave & 43rd St
MORSA. History of Allegan County. Not listed in Allegan book
Allegan
Monterey
Belden/Spec Lake #9
30
W
NW corner of 126th Ave & 35th St
Allegan book p. 81. Photo of school p. 81. In 1952, 56 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County. Also called Spec Lake School
Allegan
Gun Plain
Bellingham #6
15
W
Intersections of Marsh & Pierce Rds
Allegan book p. 7. Photo in book. In 1945, 30 students were enrolled
Allegan
Casco
Berry/Beechdale #7
15
W
1864-1967
N side of 106th Ave at 65th
Allegan book p. 6. Photo of school p. 6. Basement used as a classroom in 1914. A room was added in 1940. Student: Charles Hurlbut Teacher: Nelson Ransom. Charles is deceased, his brother Frank of South Haven has a photo. Still standing in 1998. Contact: Frank Hurlbut, 67663 CR 388 No. 17, South Haven, MI
Allegan
Trowbridge
Blackman #2
1
W
1973
2 miles E of Allegan on M-89 & 26th St
Privately owned. Allegan book p. 8. Photo of school p. 8 in around 1967. In 1967, 113 students were enrolled. 2 rooms? Pic
Allegan
Martin
Blossom #5
2
W
E side of 4th St & S of 124th Ave
Residence. Allegan book p. 8. Photo on p. 8
Allegan
Ganges
Bowles/Belknap #8
27
W
1928-29
E side of 66th St, S of 116 Ave
Gone. Black River Gun Club. Also known as Belknap School. Student: Frank Conner attended 4th grade, about 1947. MORSA. History of Allegan County. Allegan book p. 7. Photo of school p. 7. Pic
Allegan
Wayland
Bradley/Wayland #2
B?
1974
At 1015 129th Ave about 1/2 mile E of the Gun Lake Casino
Fractional.? History of Allegan County. p. 9. Also known as Wayland School. Wayland Township Hall Organic Foods Enterprise? Photo in Allegan book p. 9. Pic
Allegan
Clyde
Bravo/Oak Grove
32
113th Ave, E of 56th St
Privately owned. Allegan book p. 8. Photo of school in around 1967. In 1967, 113 students were enrolled. 2 rooms?
Allegan
Valley
Brininger #3
17
W?
NE corner of 46th St & 119th Ave
Allegan book p. 10. Photo on p. 10
Allegan
Laketown
Brinkman/Pioneer #1
12
Clapboard
NW corner of 145th Ave & 61st St
Allegan book p. 70. Photo captioned Pioneer School West of Graafschap. In 1945, 62 students were enrolled. Schoolhouse now owned by David Bolles. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Cheshire
Brown #2
32
W
SE corner of 102nd Ave & 46th St
Allegan book p. 11. Photo on p. 11. In 1951, no students were enrolled
Allegan
Allegan
Brownell/Jewett
8
W
1888-1964
Dumont Rd & 122nd St
DORS, MOVED to Allegan County Fairgrounds. Part of the 100th birthday in July 1988. There are other historical buildings nearby. Open Fair Week. Standard School in 1922. MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517. Building later moved. Also known as Jewett School
Allegan
Salem
Burnips Corner #3
15
B
1856-
E side of 30th St, between Burnips & Salem Center
Allegan book p.12. Photo on p. 12. School building or log school erected at Salem Center. In 1876 a new frame building was erected at Burnip's Corners. It was a two-room brick building. It was organized into a graded school of 10 grades in 1886. There were 2 teachers and 110 pupils. History of Allegan County. p. 530
Allegan
Lee
Burrows #2
19
W
NW corner of 104th Ave & 58th St
Allegan book p. 12. Photo of school on p. 12. In 1962, 54 students were enrolled
Allegan
Heath
Burton #6
1
W
1886-
SE corner of M-40 & S of 128th Ave
History of Allegan County. Allegan book p. 13. Photo on p. 13. Still standing in 2000. Allegan County Historical Atlas & Gazetteer indicates this school was located in S/28 not in S/1. In 1961, 7 students were enrolled
Allegan
Overisel
Butler/High Point #5
26
W
1928-32
N side of 139th Ave, & E of 45th St
Allegan book p. 38. Photo of school p. 38. In 1946, 18 students were enrolled. Also known as High Point School. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Casco
Buys/Rice #5
6
W
1862-1962
71st St between 111th Ave & 109th Ave
Built in 1862, replaced in 1894. Also known as Rice School. In 1962, students transferred to South Haven. Remodeled as a residence in 1994. Still standing. History of Allegan County. See Buys School
Allegan
Valley
Calkins/Crill #2
10
W
NE corner of 21st Ave & 41st St
Allegan book p. 14. Photo of school on page 14. Also known as Crill School
Allegan
Hopkins
Chamberlain
2
1975
135th Ave & 16th St
Gone. Pic
Allegan
Saugatuck
Chase #5
33
W
closed by July 1956
SE corner 126th Ave & 68th St
Allegan book p. 15. Photo of school on p. 15. History of Allegan County. Operated until July 1956 when annexed to Fennville School system. Building was sold and moved to Ganges Township & converted into residence
Allegan
Trowbridge
Clifford #6
10
W? or CB?
-1963
N side of 108th Ave, E of 30th. Moved 1 mile S of Pullman in 1963
Allegan book p. 16. Photo of school p. 16. Moved in 1963, 1 mile S of Pullman. Owned by William Sweet. In 1955, 40 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County, page 517
Allegan
Manlius
Colf #5
7
W
1975
W side of 58th St between 132nd & 133rd St
Allegan book p. 16. Photo of school p. 16. Gone, torn-down. Was a large school with 5 windows on each side. History of Allegan County. In 1957, 26 students were enrolled. Pic
Allegan
Leighton
Corning #5
15
W
N side of 142nd Ave, W of Corning Ave
Allegan book p. 17. Photo on p. 17. In 1962, 26 students were enrolled
Allegan
Martin
Crittendon #6
4
W
NW corner of 7th St & 122nd Ave
Allegan book p. 17. Photo of school p. 17. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Casco
Crow #4
25
B
1860-1974
SW corner of 102nd Ave & 62nd St
Allegan book p. 18. Photo of school p. 18. Moved to a field on Baseline Rd near Lacota. Built in 1860. In 1962, 31 students were enrolled. Closed in 1974. Looks abandoned in 2024
Allegan
Monterey
Dallas #7
12
W
1973
2 miles E of Monterey Center on the N. side of 134th Ave & S of 26th St
Allegan book p. 18. Photo of school p. 18. In 1962, 23 students were enrolled. Pic
Allegan
Ganges
Darling #3
20
W
Closed 7/31/1962
S side of 118th Ave between US-31 & 70th St, E of 68th St
Allegan book p. 19. Photo of school p. 19. History of Allegan County. Annexed to Fennville School District in 1962. Extant. Private residence
Allegan
Salem
Diamond Springs #8
31
W
NE corner of 136th Ave & 34th St
Allegan book p. 20. Photo of school on p. 20. In 1962, 25 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Dorr
Dorr #5
15
W/B?
1860-
NE corner of 142nd Ave & 18th St
Allegan book p. 20. Photo of school p. 20. City of Dorr. First schoolhouse was built in Dorr around 1860 (possibly of logs) The school was moved in 1908, and then possibly built as a wooden-frame. All grades and subjects were taught according to Clem Rewa of Dorr. In 1961, 12 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Gun Plain
Doster #7
20
Log/W
1837
At the 4 corners on the S side of 106th St
Log school in 1834. Red frame photo of Allegan book p. 21. Photo of school p. 21. In 1955, 16 students were enrolled. Appears to be a residence now. Photo in gallery
Allegan
Saugatuck
Douglas Union #9
2
W
1836 or 1866?
Saugatuck Township
Allegan book p. 21. Photo of school p. 21. Built in 1866. On the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. The school is one of Michigan's oldest extant multi-classroom union school buildings, constructed soon after the state law authorizing union schools was adopted. It currently serves as the Old School House History Center. It is possible this is NOT Douglas Union but Douglas Elementary
Allegan
Heath
Dunningville #1
27
W/B?
1888-1973
W side of M-40, & N of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 212. Photo of school p. 22. In 1962, 26 students were enrolled. Pic
Allegan
Watson
Dunwell/Wicks #5
2
W
1975
123rd Ave & 15th St
Allegan book p. 90. Photo of school p. 90. Also school of same name in Hopkins Township. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Manlius
East Saugatuck #5
7
W
S side of 136th Ave & E of 57th St
Allegan book p. 22. Photo of school page 22. In 1945, 20 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Watson
Elm Hill/Watson Corners #2
27
W
SW corner of 116 Ave & 16th St
Allegan book p. 23. Photo of school p. 23. History of Allegan County. See Watson Corners School. Converted into a residence. Contact: Virginia Van Horn, 40279 Baseline Rd, Bloomingdale, MI 49026. In 1958, 28 students were enrolled
Allegan
Casco
Evergreen Glade/Sheffer #9
29
W
1878-1952
NE corner of 103rd & 1 mile W of 68th St
Allegan book p. 23. Photo of school on p. 23. Originally called Sheffer School. In 1970, no students were enrolled. Converted into a residence
Allegan
Monterey
Fairview #3
23
B
1973
2 miles E of Monterey Center on the corner of 26th St & 130th Ave
Allegan book p. 24. Photo of school p. 24. In 1951, 14 students were enrolled. Pic
Allegan
Casco
Farnum/Farnham #2
29
W
1856-1955
Located on 103rd Ave, E of 72nd St
Allegan book p. 24. Photo of school p. 24. School burned down in 1998 and was torn-down.1 mile N of S Haver Rd, E of Blue Star Hwy, "Casco Township History" Also shown as S/36. In 1945, 24 students were enrolled
Allegan
Manlius
Fennville #2
32
W
N side of M-89 W of 48th or 58th St
In 1898, District #2 was organized for High School. Up until that time the old building W of the village had school. In 1898, a new brick building was erected on the N side of Main St & the old school was abandoned. History of Allegan Co. p. 529
Allegan
Cheshire
Ferris #4
18
W
E of 46th St, N of 106th Ave
Allegan book p. 25. Photo of school p. 25. In 1962, 30 students were enrolled. In 1974 was privately owned. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Fillmore
Fillmore/Beeline
25
W
M-40 & 50th St, S of Fillmore
MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517
Allegan
Trowbridge
Foster #4
20
B?
1888
6 miles S of Allegan on M-40 between 104th & 106th St
Allegan book p. 26. Photo of school p. 26. In 1962, 20 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Salem
Franklin #5
5
W
NE corner of 146th Ave & 34th St
Allegan book p. 26. Photo of school p. 26
Allegan
Heath
Frayer #3
1
W
SW corner of 136th Ave & 38th St
Allegan book p. 27. Photo of school p. 27. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Hopkins
Frohm #1
2
1974
Allegan book p. 4. Photo of site where school was. Not gone p. 14. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Ganges
Ganges Union #10
10
B
1867-1961
Blue Star Hwy & 122nd Ave
Allegan book p. 28. Photo of school p. 28. In 1959, 56 students were enrolled. Residence
Allegan
Wayland
Gardner #5
15
W
W 131st Ave & 7th St
Allegan book p. 29. Photo of school p. 29. Has fallen into just a pile of wood
Allegan
Fillmore
Garvelink/Maplewood
5
1973
146th Ave, E of Graafschap
History of Allegan County. Also known as Maplewood School. Student: Dave Norem, Clarksville, TN. See Garvelink School. Burned and rebuilt in 1916 on Buchanan St. Converted into a residence. Not listed in Allegan book. Pic
Allegan
Laketown
Gibson #2
27
W
Located at intersection of 140th Ave & 65th St
Allegan book p. 29. 3 photos of school p. 29. Contact: Murlyn Vollink, 257 Brook St, Saugatuck, MI
Allegan
Manlius
Gidley #4
20
W
closed 7/11/1960
N side 128th Ave at 56th St
Allegan book p. 30. Photo of school p. 30. History of Allegan County. In 1957, 21 students were enrolled
Allegan
Dorr
Gilbert #1
1
NE 146th & 14th St in Dorr Township
Allegan book p. 30. Photo of former site on p. 30
Allegan
Ganges
Glenn/Crawford #4
31
B
1854-1997?
114th Ave & 64th St
Allegan book p. 31. Photo of school before addition to the front p. 31. Photo entitled "Our Amazing Little Red School House" Located in Ganges Township. In 1962, 64 students were enrolled. Built in 1854. Still in operation in 1997. Also known as Crawford School
Allegan
Salem
Goodman/Maple Grove
17
1974
142nd Ave & 34th St, 2 miles W of Bunker Hill at Burnips
MORSA. History of Allegan County p. 517. Pic
Allegan
Otsego
Grable//Lewis/Little Red Schoolhouse #9
17
B
1973
108th Ave, SE corner of M-89, 2 miles W of Otsego
Allegan book p. 31. Photo of school. p. 31. Now owned or was owned by Michigan author, Larry Massie. Now an Antique shop. Owned by Esther Wyman. Also known as Grable School and Lewis School. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Ganges
Gramges #6
6
B
closed by 10/1960
6292 114th Ave, Fennville
Standard School. Annexed to Fennville in 1961. State Historic Site. Residence in 1959. In 1959, 56 students were enrolled
Allegan
Ganges
Grange Hall Lewis #10
10
SW 122nd Ave & 66th St
Allegan book p. 32. Seeking photo of school. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Leighton
Green Lake/Chappell #3
10
B?
1976
7th St & 146th Ave
Allegan book p. 15. Photo of school p. 15. Now a residence. In 1955, 38 students were enrolled. Pic
Allegan
Wayland
Gregg School #3
26
W
1850-
N side of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 32. Photo of students in front of school. p. 32. County Little Red Schoolhouse built in 1850 in the Village of Wayland. It was 16 ft X 20 ft. In 1879 Wayland became a grade school and a brick school was built. This building burned in 1896. Fortunately a new two-story brick school with a basement was built to replace it. It is steam heated, well lighted, ventilated and furnished. It goes to 12th grade and is now on the approved list of Normal Schools. History of Allegan County p. 531
Allegan
Wayland
Gregoryville #10, #11
10
W?
NE side of Gregorville Rd
Allegan book p. 33. Photo of school with students out front p. 33. Photo from circa 1930
Allegan
Martin
Gun River #7
23
W?
SW corner of 2nd St & 118th Ave
Allegan book p. 33. Photo of school p. 33
Allegan
Casco
Hadaway #6
9
Log/Stucco
1868-1962?
SW corner of 109th Ave on E side of 68th St between 111th & 109th Ave
Allegan book p 34. Photo of school p. 34. Log school burned in 1918. Replacement school moved to S/4 and built of Stucco. Now a residence. In 1961, 31 students were enrolled
Allegan
Heath
Hamilton #5
6
B
M-40 S of 135th Ave
Allegan book p. 34 Photo of school p. 34. Has more than one classroom
Allegan
Wayland
Hamilton #6
3
W
S side of 130th Ave & W of 6th St
Allegan book p. 35. Photo of school p. 35
Allegan
Trowbridge
Harper #7
26
W
1973
E side 28th St, N of 102nd Ave
Allegan p. 35. Photo of school p. 35. Owner J Mohr. History of Allegan County. In 1962, 25 students were enrolled. Pic
Allegan
Otsego
Hart/White
20
S of Jefferson Rd near Gobles
Gobles. Also known as White School. MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517. Paw Paw True Northerner, August 4, 1900 "Globeville. The White Schoolhouse four miles N of here was burned to the ground last Thursday night." Also known as Hart School
Allegan
Dorr
Hartzig/Bartz #3
6
B
S side of 147th & E 24th St
Allegan p. 36. Photo of school/residence p. 36. History of Allegan County. Now a residence. Also known as Bartz School
Allegan
Overisel
Hawthorn #2
2
W
1978
N 146th between 38th & 40th St
Allegan book p. 37. Photo of school p. 37. History of Allegan County. In 1962, 66 students were enrolled (appears to be more than 1 room) Pic
Allegan
Valley
Hettinger/Messinger #5
21
W
NW corner of 117th (Monroe) & 42nd St
Allegan book p. 36. Photo of school p 36. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Trowbridge
Hicks/East Arlington #5
25
W
NE corner of 26th St & 103rd Ave
Owned by Archie Cullum in 1973. Ken Scott (per Jim Starbuck) 14894 23rd St, Gobles, MI 49055. Ph: 628-2564. May also have been known as East Arlington School. In 1962, 20 students were enrolled. Allegan book p. 37. Photo of school p. 37
Allegan
Valley
Hill/Moore #2
21
W
1973
S side of Monroe Rd & W of 37th St
Allegan book p. 61. Photo of school, dated 1922. p. 36. The school is apparently gone. Moved or torn-down. History of Allegan County. Also known as Moore School. Pic
Allegan
Hopkins
Hillards #6
5
W
1974
S side 135th Ave, E of 22nd St
Allegan book p. 39. Photo of school p. 39. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Dorr
Hillside #8
28
NW corner 138th Ave & 18th St
Allegan book p. 40. No photo available in book. In 1952, no students were enrolled
Allegan
Lee
Hilton #10
29
W
closed by 09/1957
SE corner of 108th or 109th Ave & 52nd St
Allegan book p. 41. No photo available at time of publication. Contact: Mrs. Alice Newcomb, 308 E. Orleans St, Otsego, MI 49078. Ph: 694-6872. Also known as Gates School
Allegan
Leighton
Hooker #1
34
W
E side of Kalamazoo River, S of 139th Ave
Allegan book p. 41. Photo of school/residence p. 41. History of Allegan County. In 1962, 26 students were enrolled
Allegan
Gun Plain
Hooper #10
N side of 110th Ave, E of 10th St
Allegan book p. 41. No photo of school available. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Hopkins
Hopkins #6
10
W
W side of 22nd St & S of 126th Ave
Allegan book p. 42. Photo on p. 42
Allegan
Hopkins
Hopkinsburg #9
27
W
16th St, N of 128th Ave
Photo in Gallery. Allegan book p. 42. Photo on p. 42. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Lee
Horseshoe #4
25
W
SE corner of 104th Ave & 50th St
Allegan book p. 43. Photo of school p. 43. In 1962, 20 students were enrolled
Allegan
Monterey
Hoyer/Oakview #6
17
B
1899-1962?
NE corner of 130th Ave & 34th St
Allegan book p. 65. Photo of brick school p. 65. In 1962, 19 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County. Also known as Oakview School
Allegan
Otsego
Hoyerville Pullen/Otto
30
1974
102nd Ave, W of 23rd St
Residence. MORSA. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Allegan
Hudson Corners #3
26
W
1973
2 miles N of Allegan on 30th St & 118th Ave W of Current Town Hall
Near Township Hall. Allegan book p. 43. Photo on page 43. In 1962, 63 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County. Pic
Allegan
Watson
Hughes #11
35
W
1973
2 miles S of Watson Corners on 16th St & N of 112th Ave
Allegan book p. 44. Photo p. 44. In 1962, 12 students were enrolled. Pic
Allegan
Leighton
Huver #6
1
E side of 2nd St, N of 146th Ave
Allegan book p. 44. Photo unavailable. In 1952, no students were enrolled
Allegan
Casco
Iddles #3
11
Log/W/B
1859-closed 5/1962
S of 109th Ave between 64th & 62nd St. Near the big spring where Indians had a campground
Allegan book p. 45. Photo of school/residence p. 45. Moved to Harry Litt's Farm and was used as a packing shed in fruit season by migrant workers. Built in 1859 and still standing in 1998. In 1962 it was housing for migrant workers 2-24. Looks like a very nice residence. Red brick school built in 1901. School used for 103 years
Allegan
Clyde
Ikeler/Walker/Fraser
25
B
See Ikeler/Walker/Fraser
Allegan
Salem
Indian Trail #4
9
W
SW 30th St & 146th Ave in Salem Township
Allegan book p. 46. Photo on p. 46. In 1954, 31 students were enrolled
Allegan
Clyde
Jackson/Whitemeyer #49
9
W
E side of 52nd St, N of 120th Ave
Allegan book p. 45. History of Allegan County
Allegan
Allegan
Jewett/Brownell #5
5
1888-1964
John Pahl Historic Village, Allegan County Fairgrounds
Photo in gallery. Part of the Allegan Fairgrounds Historical Village. Celebrated 100th birthday in July 1988. See Brownell School
Allegan
Dorr
Jones #2
3
B
NE corner of 146th Ave & 17th St
Allegan book p. 47. Photo on p. 47. History of Allegan County. In 1962, 30 students were enrolled
Allegan
Cheshire
Kaylor/Diamond #3
16
W
1887-1962
Corner of 112th Ave & 38th St
Allegan book p. 19. Photo of school taken in 1964 on p. 19. In 1962, 28 students enrolled. School is now gone. History of Allegan County. Also known as Kaylor or Diamond
bottom of page