
THE MICHIGAN ONE ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE ASSOCIATION
Requirements needed to achieve
status of a Standard School.
1. School year of nine months
2. Suitable salary
3. Proper lighting
4. School grounds of at least 1/2 acre
5. Schoolhouse in good repair
6. Well or sanitary drinking fountain
7. Hardwood floors
8. Heating and ventilating system
9. Library of 80 volumes
10. Seats and desks suitable for all ages
11. Good blackboards with some for small children
12. A dictionary, flag, maps, charts, glove, organ, and pictures
*Almost every school had a picture of George Washington & Abraham Lincoln. Some schools also had pictures of other significant Generals
Database of Michigan Schoolhouses
Welcome to the Michigan Schoolhouse Database collected by the Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association.
Containing more than seven-thousand entries, it is one of the largest available databases for Michigan schoolhouses.
County | Township | School & School # | Section | BM | Year | Location | Notes |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Muskegon | Dalton | Sunnyside | 23 | Bard Rd S/23 | |||
Muskegon | Moorland | Swanson #6 | 30 | M 46 & Apple Ave S/30 | Annexed to Ravenna 1956 | ||
Muskegon | Fruitport | Third Street | Third & Beech St. (?) | ||||
Muskegon | Montague | Trading Post | 11 | Trading Post & Fruitvale Rds, S/11 | Consolidated with Montague Public Schools | ||
Muskegon | Dalton | Twin Lake #2 | 12 | W | About 1900-1922 | Middle Lake Rd, S/12 | 4 R 1928. Dalton Township Branch of Muskegon Co. Library 1959 |
Muskegon | Ravenna | Union #3 | 26 | W | 1956 | Busher & Six Corners S/26 | Union of two districts |
Muskegon | Sullivan | Updyke #2f | 9 or 10 | W | Ravenna Rd, S/9 or S/10 | Annexed to Ravenna in 1964 | |
Muskegon | Fruitland | Wilson #4 | Joined Whitehall Schools | ||||
Muskegon | Tyrone | Winter | Teacher - John White, 1884 | ||||
Muskegon | Egelston | Wolf Lake #4 | White Rd W of Park St | New school in 1928 | |||
Muskegon | Sullivan | Wood #3f | W | Sternberg & Sullivan Rd | Annexed to Ravenna 1-11-1959 | ||
Muskegon | Ravenna | Zoll #5 | 16 | 1959 | Ellis & Wunsch Rds, S/16 | Annexed. Named for the Zoll Family | |
Newaygo | Denver | Aetna #1f | 36 | Log/W | 1874-1966 | Luce & 1 Mile Rd | Originally the students at Aetna #1f attended a log school. In 1874 a wooden-frame school was built near where the log school had been located. This wooden school had a basement added, the addition of more windows, indoor toilets installed and other interior remodelling making it a more comfortable schoolhouse. The school closed following the 1965-66 school year. Aetna School was eventually torn-down |
Newaygo | Bridgeton | Anscomb #6 | 29 | W | 1900-1944 | Fitzgerald Ave & 128th St | No records or photos of this school have been located. Dates of use are estimates |
Newaygo | Ashland | Applegarth #3 | 34 | W | by 1880-1964 | McClelland Ave just S of 136th St | Applegarth was a typical wooden-frame school with a belfry and an enclosed entrance porch. Consolidated in 1964 and the school was closed, sold and then converted into a residence |
Newaygo | Ashland | Ashland Center #2 (Danish Folk School) | 15 | W/B | 1858-1965 | Intersection of 120th St & McClelland St | Michigan State University Ashland Juvenile Grange #206, Ashland Grange #545 and Ashland Center Lodge #834 p. 102-104. Wooden-frame school built in 1858 was replaced with a new brick school in 1875. This was the first brick school in the county. The school closed in 1965 and the school was used as the Ashland Township Hall |
Newaygo | Ensley | Baptist Lake #6 | 14 | W | 1878-1946 | 120th St just E of Butternut St by the Lake | Named after Baptist Lake which it was near. Closed between 1941-1945, but then reopened in 1946 when the areas population increased |
Newaygo | Big Prairie | Barton #3 | 8 | W | 1880-1932 | 12th St & Locust Ave | It is reported that Barton was a Standard School. It, and 4 others, were auctioned off in 1946 by Big Prairie. It stated that Barton was 34 ft x 24 ft with a woodshed 14 ft x 20 ft |
Newaygo | Beaver | Beaver/North #3 | 26 | W | circa 1880's-1950's | Located at the corner of Stone & 8 Mile Rds | Beaver School was also known as North School as it was on North farmland. The first North School is still standing, but it was moved about 1891 to the E to the Harding Farm. Then a new schoolhouse was constructed on the original site, but burned-down in a blizzard in 1922. In the 1950's North School consolidated into the Hesperia School system and the school reverted to the Elisa North Farm. The wooden building is still standing and is privately owned |
Newaygo | Troy | Bethke #1 | 18 | W | 1880's-1940's | On Newaygo/Oceana County line, S/18 | Structure gone |
Newaygo | Big Prairie | Big Bend #7 | 14/15 | Log/W | by 1901-1945 | Stood Where Hardy Pond is now. Moved it N to Stuart Howe's Farm in 1928 | Burned-down in 1901, but was re-built. Then it was taken down about 1928 and moved to Stuart Howe's. A new frame school was erected in its place. It was there until 1930 when it was moved a 1/4 mile N by John Miller. Miller had sold his farm to Consumers Power in 1928 to flood the area for Hardy Dam. Miller moved Big Bend School taking it across Hardy Dam. He moved the building with his team of horses and log rollers. This school and 4 others were auctioned off by Big Prairie in 1946. It stated that Big Bend was 30 ft x 22 ft and had a 14 ft x 16 ft woodshed |
Newaygo | Home | Big Jackson #1f | 36 | W | 1898-current | 402 E 13 Mile Rd, Paris MI | Big Jackson School has been a place of learning for over 100 years. Although the exact date it opened is unknown. In the spring of 1931 the school did burn-down. While waiting for a new school to be built the students had to go 4 miles S to Foxville. Many of the rural one-room schools around 1954 consolidated to Big Jackson. That included Whipple, Little Jackson, Riverside, McDuffy, and Stone. Those wanting to go onto H.S. had their choice of moving to Baldwin, Reed City or Big Rapids. They paid tuition for their students to attend there. Although no longer a one-room school, it appears to be teaching elementary grade students in Paris, Michigan. A 28 ft x 38 ft addition was added to the school and it got its first computer installed in March of 1983 |
Newaygo | Big Prairie | Big Prairie #1 | 18 | Log/W | 1868-1957 | Big Prairie settlement, E side of Croton Dam Pond | Michigan State University Big Prairie Grange #935 p. 104. The first Big Prairie School was log slabs and it burned-down and a new building was erected. In 1884 there were 5 school districts in Big Prairie Township. The children ages 5 to 20 was 177. Two wooden-frame schools and three log schools. The schools were Barton, Germantown, Thompson, Forwood and Big Bend. In 1946 these were auctioned off |
Newaygo | Everett | Bigelow #2 | 28 | W | by 1895-1959 | Named for Bigelow Creek which flowed behind the school | Bigelow School was wooden-framed with a basement. It was annexed to White Cloud Public Schools in the fall of 1959. It was sold and remodeled into a residence that still stands |
Newaygo | Lincoln | Birch Grove #4 | 11 | W/B | 1895-early 1960's | 3962 N Felch at Five Mile Rd near Diamond Lake | Between 1892-95, Birch Grove bought the building from Park City for $35 and moved it. Park City was a lumbering camp in Newaygo County. When it was no longer needed the villagers of Birch Grove purchased it for $35. It was an active school until the early 1960's when the school district annexed to White Cloud. It was then used as a community center before being abandoned in the early 1970's. It is now owned by the International Backpackers Inc. and used as a hostel for hikers and bikers using The North Country Trail which goes from NY to South Dakota. It passes through Michigan at White Cloud. Birch Grove is listed on the State Register of Historic Sites |
Newaygo | Lilley | Bitely #5 | 27 | W/B | 1887-1957 | Corner of Bingham & Rothwell Aves in Bitely | Bitely built a new school in 1957 inside the Manistee National Forest on the corner of Marsh and Prospect Aves. Bitely deeded land for the school. In 1957 they built a new school on a two acre parcel. It was a modern block and brick building. It had two classrooms, a kitchen, furnace room, janitor room and two restrooms. That school was purchased by Baldwin Public Schools in 1966. Baldwin operated the school until the early 1980's when the school closed. Lilley Township then bought the school back from Baldwin in 1992. The school has had various uses since the 1992 purchase. Area children attend Baldwin and White Cloud. The last public school in Bitely closed by 1970 and it became a private boys school, but that closed in 2002. It is now used as a community center. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 121 |
Newaygo | Lilley | Block #7 | 2 | W | 1881-1948 | Corner of 17 Mile & Gordon Rds | Block was a small school. After 1948 students from Block School #7 were being transported to Baldwin Schools. Unknown status as of today |
Newaygo | Bridgeton | Bridgeton #1f | 13 | W | 1870-1965 | Corner of 120th St & Warner Ave | One of the first 2 school districts organized in the Township |
Newaygo | Merrill | Brohman/Otia #5f | 24 | W | 1884-1959 | At the corner of M-37 & Pierce Rd in community called North Woods | Otia/Brohman Community School. Closed |
Newaygo | Sheridan | Brookside #1 | 16 | W/B | 1869-1965 | Brookside was located at 72nd St & Green Ave | The second Brookside was built quite large as it was to be a schoolhouse and a townhouse meeting center. This was in 1903 and it was constructed of red bricks and had two classrooms. After the school district annexed to Fremont in 1965 the building was transformed into a church building |
Newaygo | Garfield | Butler #1 | 8 | Log/W | 1855-1957 | At the corner of Croswell & Wisteria Aves | Students first attended school in someone's home. Then Butler School was built of logs. Butler School was detached from Elm corners when Garfield Township was established in 1881. Eventually a wooden-frame school was built. The school district annexed to Fremont in 1957 |
Newaygo | Norwick | Cassidy #1 | 12 | W | 1888-1920 | Located at the intersection of 11 Mile Rd & Beech Ave | Cassidy was only in operation about 32 years. It closed in 1920. In 1920 the students were transferred to Van Gilder School in Mecosta County. In 1949 it was sold for $15.00 |
Newaygo | Croton | Christian Plains | 22 | Log | 1854-1902 | Corner of 72nd St & Cottonwood Ave | Only open a short while. Closed about the end of the logging era |
Newaygo | Norwich | Cole #6 | 29 | W | 1881-1945/54 | Near Woodville | Wooden-frame school was built in 1881 on a farm owned by Samuel O. Cole. It closed about 1945, but reopened in 1953-54 for one year while a new school named Pineview was being built next to the old Cole School. Was auctioned off after Pineview was completed for the students to move into. Cole was 20 ft x 30 ft and had an 8 ft x 8 ft attachment, furnace, single desks and table |
Newaygo | Lincoln | Cole Creek/Champion #3 | 26 | Log/W | 1904-1945 & 1953-54 | 4 miles W of White Cloud & 1 mile across from Felch Rd. Later moved to M-37 N of White Cloud | Originally a log school. It was called Champion then Cole Creek and finally Gordon. It was replaced by construction of a new building that consolidated with White Cloud and was turned into a residence. A current photo does not show the school/home in very good repair and it is doubtful anyone is living there |
Newaygo | Norwick | Cole/Pineview #6 | 29 | W | 1881-1939 & 1953-54 | Pineview at 7 Mile Rd & Elm St | Cole school was built in 1881 in Norwich District #6. It closed about 1939 while a new school, Pineview, was being built next to the Cole School, it was reopened in 1953-54 on a temporary basis. Cole was sometimes called Pineview School. Pineview got an addition in 1968. The land the school sat on was owned by the Cole family. Pineview closed in 1968 and the students transferred to Big Rapids School System |
Newaygo | Bridgeton | Cooley #1 | 10 | W | by 1900-by 1949 | May have been in the center of S/10 | There is only 1 photo and a little bit of information on Cooley School |
Newaygo | Ensley | Crandall #3 | 35 | W | 1861-1919 | SW corner of 136th St & Beech Ave | Named for the John Crandall family who settled in Ensle in 1856. In Nov 1901, school closed for several weeks due to an outbreak of diphtheria |
Newaygo | Croton | Croton #2 | 8 | W/W/B | by 1900-by late 1950's | Located in the center of Croton | Croton #2 had a wooden-frame building, another wooden-frame building and then a beautiful brick schoolhouse. Old Settlers Picnic, which began about 1920, was often held at the Croton Schoolhouse. Students now attend Newaygo Schools since the 1960's after the last school closed. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 122 |
Newaygo | Denver | Daly/Waterman #3 | 18 | W | by 1880-1965 | On Dickinson Ave just N of 3 Mile Rd | The Daly family gave the land for the school. Sometimes called the Waterman School. The school closed in 1965 when it annexed with Hesperia. Schoolhouse was converted into a residence |
Newaygo | Bridgeton | Damm #2 | 20 | W | by 1880-1923 | In S/20 along the Muskegon River | The Damm School was closed in 1923 and later moved to 116th and Fitzgerald Ave in S/17 and renamed Palmer School |
Newaygo | Barton | Davenport #2 | 13 | W | 1881-1965 | Corner of 15 Mile Rd & Beech St | Was originally District #1, but in 1888 changed to District #2. Some High School students did attend Big Rapids H.S. Wooden-frame school. Still standing but in poor condition |
Newaygo | Barton | Davis #5 | 3 | W | 1872-1959 | Barton Township, S/3 | Due to a low enrollment, the students were transferred to Reed City Schools in 1959. Wooden-framed school is still standing |
Newaygo | Dayton | Dayton Center #5 | 21 | W | by 1902-1965 | Corner of 24th St & Grand Ave | Dayton Center was a large one-room school. It annexed in 1965 and was closed. The building was sold and renovated into a residence |
Newaygo | Denver | Denver #2 | 27 | Log/W | by 1864-1945 | 1st Log School at Maynard's Corners. Just S of Village of Denver, Corner of Jefferson & Green Rds | Had been District #1 prior to 1880. Then renumbered District #2. The log school was sold for $11. Wooden-frame school built on same site. The classroom was large and at times two teachers were employed. There were two other rooms and one used as the kitchen. In 1915 there were two teachers employed. The school closed in 1945 and students transferred to Hesperia. See Hesperia Library for more info and photos |
Newaygo | Ashland | Dickinson #6 | 31 | W | by 1880-1961-62 | Corner of 136th St & Alger Rd | It is thought that Dickinson consolidated in 1965 with Grant. The school reverted to the original land owners and has sat empty and unused all these years. It is still standing, but ready to collapse any day. Photo by Jerry Tice, MORSA member |
Newaygo | Dayton | Donahue/Etan #1f | 11 | W | by 1900-1965 | 8th St & Corner of Warner Ave | Donahue was one of the larger built schools with a porch, outhouses, woodshed and playground equipment. Closed and annexed in 1965 |
Newaygo | Dayton | Doud #4f | 8 | Log/W | 1859-1965 | Corner of Dickinson Ave & 16th St | The original Doud School built in 1859 was a log school. The present wooden-frame school was built in 1871. Jason Doud had given the land for the new school. Doud was a fractional school and also had students from Greenwood Township & Oceana County. For a few years it had so many students that two teachers were needed. In 1959 the student count decreased and the district reduced to only one teacher. Then in 1965 the school annexed to Fremont and closed. It was then sold and converted into a residence |
Newaygo | Goodwell | Dudgeon #5 | 32 | W | 1890's-1950's | Located S of 1 Mile Rd just E of Locust Ave | Named after the Dudgeon family. Was a small wooden-framed school |
Newaygo | Ensley | Ensley Center #5 | 16 | W/CB | circa 1900-1965 | Intersection of 120th St & Cypress Ave, near the center of Township | Original wooden-frame school replaced by a cement block building in the early 1900's. That building now serves as the Township Hall |
Newaygo | Croton/Brooks | Ewing/Dickinson/Gordon #4 | 25 | W | by 1875-1941 | Original school is 1 mile S near Surrerar Cemetery | Originally this was the Ewing School. In 1877, Dickinson sold to school District #5 of Croton Township (now Brooks Twp) one acre of land for $15 for a site for a school. That spot is now M-82 on the edge of Surrerar Prairie. The Gordon family moved to that farm in 1919 and it was the Gordon School #4. Sometimes known as Surreerar Prairie School. In 1925 many Dickinson students transferred into the City School of Newaygo. Only 10 students attended in 1941 and Gordon, the school of many names closed |
Newaygo | Goodwell | Fetterley #3 | 10 | W | 1883-1943 | Located at intersection of 5 Mile Rd & Cypress Ave | Named for the Fetterley family. The school was moved by horses with a winch line (block and tackle) Actually there were two schools named Fetterley in Goodwell Township. The second one was also known as the Town Hall School because it was near the Township Hall. The Fetterley School in S/10 was closed in 1943. Was then bought and moved into the City of White Cloud to be used as a residence. It was auctioned off as a 24 ft x 32 ft, with a 10 ft x 16 ft wood shed, outdoor toilet, furnace, blackboards and recitation seat |
Newaygo | Ensley | Flowing Well #10 | 8 | W/B | by 1883-1965 | Intersection of 112th Ave & Locust St | The school received its name because of a flowing well on the E side of the school. The original 1883 wooden-frame school was replaced by a brick school in 1907. The original school sold and moved to be used as a residence. The district annexed to Grant Public Schools, but if the students were unsatisfied they then could choose to go to Howard City, Tri-County, Grant and a few to Cedar Springs. They could choose whatever was closest for them to attend |
Newaygo | Monroe | Foxville #3 | 24 | W | by 1878-1957 | Located at the intersection of Oak Ave & Buchanan Rd | The Foxville School closed and was torn-down. A cement slab is left to show where it was located |
Newaygo | Big Prairie | Foxwood #4 | 16/20 | Log/W | 1901-1957 | Corner of 24th & Elm Sts, S/16 | Original temporary structure built in 1901 in S/20. A permanent wooden-frame school was built in 1903 and is located in S/16 on 24th and Elm Sts. Foxwood and 4 other schools were auctioned off by Big Prairie in 1946. It stated that Foxwood was 30 ft x 20 ft with a wood shed of 12 ft x 16 ft |
Newaygo | Ensley | Fry/Frey #2 | 31 | W | 1859-1966 | SW corner of 136th St & Locust Ave | One of the first schools to be built in the Township. Annexed in 1966 to Grant Public, but if students were unsatisfied they could then choose to go to Howard City, Tri-County Grant or Cedar Springs. They could choose whatever was closest for them to attend. Edna Swanson went from K-8 at Frey School, then went to Grant H.S. and graduated in 1929. She then went to Western Michigan and in 1936 received a BA, and taught K-8th in a one-room school in Grant |
Newaygo | Everett | Fry/Slade #1 | 8/24 | W | by 1880-1959 | White/Moorland, S/8 | Originally known as Slade when at its original location S of Bison's Corners on Pine St. Slade was moved to the corner of Oak and 28th Sts and became the Fry School. This was in the 1880's. In May of 1959, Fry consolidated into the White Cloud Public Schools and all were bussed to White Cloud. The Fry building was purchased and renamed Fry Chapel. Sunday School classes were held there. The building still stands |
Newaygo | Wilcox | Fulkerson #1 | 35 | W | 1890's- May 1954 | At the SW corner of 1 Mile & Thornapple Rds | Fulkerson was a one-room wooden-frame school built in the 1890's and was 28 ft by 35 ft which was fairly large. Unfortunately the original school burned-down. It was rebuilt and two inside bathrooms were added. After the school closed the students were bussed to White Cloud. The second school was remodeled into a residence |
Newaygo | Garfield | Garfield Center #3 | 15 | W/B | 1882-1965 | Corner of 72nd (M-82) & Bingham Rd | Garfield was named after President Garfield. It was on a one-acre site purchased in 1882 for $25.00. The first wooden-frame school burned. The second school was built of red brick. The school closed in 1965 annexing to Newaygo. The Township used the school for the Township Hall for many years until it required more space. In 2001 a Historical Committee decided to work on restoring the schoolhouse to its old-time educational looks |
Newaygo | Big Prairie | Germantown/Libertytown | 3 | W | by 1925-1946 | Intersection of 4th & Cherry Sts | Germantown was auctioned off by Big Prairie in 1946. It was stated to be 36 ft x 22 ft with a 12 ft x 18 ft woodshed and two outside toilets. 4 other schools were auctioned off at the same time. The Martens family has the schoolhouse bell |
Newaygo | Sherman | Graham #1 | 7/18 | W/CB | by 1890-1963 | 12th St & Croswell Rd | A 2nd (or 3rd) Graham School made of cement blocks was built in S/7 at the corner of 12th St and Croswell Ave in 1905. In 1906 the old school was sold. A bell was bought with money raised by a quilt auction. (That bell was stolen in 1969) The school closed in 1963 after annexing to Fremont. The school became the First Reformed Church and is now a different church |
Newaygo | Norwick | Hatfield #5f | 26/35 | W | 1900-1954 | On the corner of Cottonwood & 7 Mile Rds | The one-room 24 ft x 30 ft Hatfield School was moved from one location to another. It was closed about 1939 and consolidated with Pineview School (a new school) along with Cole, Hungerford, Lake Fetterley and later Woodville. The school was auctioned off with single desks, double desks, blackboards, a furnace and two additional rooms. The school was torn-down about 1954 and the land reverted to the original land owner |
Newaygo | Sheridan | Hill #9 | 24 | B | 1872-by 1954 | 4 miles S of Fremont on 80th St just W of Warner | This nice looking brick school closed prior to 1954 |
Newaygo | Merrill | Howard #2 | 32 | W | by 1930's-1945 | Located at the corner of 6 Mile & Croswell Rds | The students attended Lincoln Township School or Birch Grove after Howard officially closed in 1945. Not much is known about this school and no photos have been located |
Newaygo | Dayton | Huber/Gowell #4f | 8 | W | by 1894-1968 | On Comstock Rd near Van Buren Rd, 4 miles N of Hesperia | In the 1890's in the Newaygo Tribune they refer to Huber School as Gowell. It closed midway thru the 1967-1968 school year when the teacher had to quit as she only had a 90 day teaching certificate. The school board could not find a replacement. Huber School was closed and consolidated with Hesperia Public Schools. When it closed there were 23 students in six grades. On Monday morning, Feb 12, 1968 they started attending Hesperia. Since then the building has been used for various events and it is still standing, but currently empty |
Newaygo | Norwick | Hungerford Lake #3 | 15 | W | by 1895-1954 | Located at the corner of Elm St & 9 Mile Rd, 8 miles W of Big Rapids on M-20 | In about 1939 Hungerford Lake School consolidated with the new Pine View School along with Cole, Fetterley and later Woodville. By 1948 the school was transporting it's students to Big Rapids. After it closed the land was sold, the building was sold to someone else and the bell was sold to yet a 3rd person. It was auctioned off with double desks, a large shed and a furnace. The school was remodeled into a residence. In 2003 it was torn-down and a new home constructed on the original school site |
Newaygo | Troy | Huntley #1 | 8 | W | after 1922-1957 | Corner of 16 Mile Rd & Dickinson Ave | It is possible that sometime after the plat map of 1922 that does not show Huntley that it replaced Bethke School as both are numbered District #1. The school was later sold and used as a hunting cabin |
Newaygo | Grant | Island #6 | 24 | B | 1899-1957 | 7 miles E of Grant at 120th & Peach Sts | Island was on one acre of land and was named that because it was an Island in Rice Lake Swamp. Built around 1901 it was 20 ft x 30 ft in size and it was 1906 before it was open 9 months. In 1929 a new floor was put in, a metal ceiling, new entry with 2 cloak rooms, windows replaced, repairs made to the coal shed and well, a new fence was raised around the school and playground equipment added. The old school seats, toilets & windows were auctioned off for a total of $11.20. In 1957 it was annexed to Grant Schools. After the school closed in 1957 it was deeded to the Island Community Center. The property was sold in 1969 and converted into a residence |
Newaygo | Bridgeton | Jibson #3 | 5 | W | 1876-June 1966 | On Dickinson Rd near 10th St | Unlike most of the voters in other rural districts, the Jibson School voters defeated a proposal to annex to a larger district when the vote was taken in 1964. By June of 1966 Jibson had decided to annex to Fremont Public Schools. The schoolhouse was sold and became a residence |
Newaygo | Sheridan | Kempf #4 | 32 | W/B | 1876-1959 | Corner of Fitzgerald Ave & 92nd St in the Sitka Community | The school was of board and batten construction. (Sometimes called Matthews School) It closed in 1959 due to decreasing enrollment and students were transferred to Fremont Schools. Both buildings are now gone |
Newaygo | Garfield | Kimball Lake #5 | 2 | Log/W/CB | 1878-1957 | Located on Ferris Rd near 56th St & Named for the Lake | Kimball Lake was originally a log school called Ward's School. The district re-organized in 1881 and the name changed to Kimball Lake and a new schoolhouse was built about 1889. In 1943 the school closed and officially consolidated with Fremont and Newaygo Schools in 1957. Students living W of Ferris went to Fremont and those living E of Ferris went to Newaygo. Then in May 1966 the school burned to the ground. It was in the process of being remodeled into a residence. It is thought that a cigarette was dropped and started some rags on fire |
Newaygo | Ensley | Kinney #7 | 11 | B | 1885-by 1940's | 2 miles N & 2 miles E of Ensley Center at intersection of 112th & Beech Sts | Kinney family arrived in 1856. Many of the children became teachers and taught at the Ensley Township Schools |
Newaygo | Ashland | Lambson #1 | 11 | Log/W/CB | 1856-1963 | On the N side of Gordon & 112th Sts | Six families sent children to Lambson when it opened in April, 1856. The school was a 18 ft x 24 ft, log building and had a 50 year lease. A second wooden-frame school, 28 ft x 40 ft was built in 1878 for $500. In 1910 a bond was passed to relocate the school, and a new cement block school was built in S/12 on the NW corner of Gordon and 104th Sts. There is a possibility that one of these schools burned, but nothing definite. The district consolidated with Grant Schools in 1963 and the school and land were sold in 1966 |
Newaygo | Lilley | Lilley #2 | 22 | W | by 1929-1958 | Located near Pettibone Lake at the corner of 15 Mile Rd & M-37 | There is no date when Lilley #2 opened it's schoolhouse doors, but a photo dated circa 1929 indicates it was open by then. It annexed to Baldwin Schools in 1958. It still stands about one mile E of the Lilley Corners, N of Bitely. It has been remodeled into a residence |
Newaygo | Lincoln | Lincoln Center/Poplar Grove/Patterson #2 | 16/21 | W | by 1936-1942 | Originally on 3 Mile Rd in S/16. Later on Wisner Ave in S/21 | The Poplar Grove School was originally on 3 Mile Rd. Later it was abandoned and a new school was built on Wisner Ave in S/21. It was then called the Lincoln Center. It was also known as Patterson School and was annexed to White Cloud School. The school closed in 1942. It is possible it closed as it did not want to be integrated with children of black families who had moved into that district. The newest school was then remodelled and is now the Lincoln Township Hall and is in good repair. The school after the log school, the one in S/16 was turned into a residence that burned-down |
Newaygo | Home | Little Jackson/Home Township Hall #6 | 21 | W | 1901-1953 | NE corner of 14 Mile Rd & Walnut Ave. Little Jackson Corner | Located at Little Jackson Corners the Jackson family members were descendents of Milton Jackson who in the 1880s settled on the land where the Big Jackson School is located. All that is left of the Little Jackson School is the foundation among the pines. It is thought that the school was sold as a hunting cabin and moved. At 11 ft x 23 ft it was just too small as a school. The wood shed was almost as large as the school. An article in the February 26, 1953 Muskegon Chronicle stated that Little Jackson School in Home Township, Newaygo County, lays claim to the title of being the smallest school in Michigan. Later in 1953 Little Jackson closed and joined Big Jackson School District. Currently still being used as the Township Hall. Students moving onto H.S. go to Baldwin Schools |
Newaygo | Dayton | Lordon #2f | 34 | W/B | by 1880-1999 | Corner of Green & 48th Sts | The first Lordon School was a wooden-frame building built prior to 1880. A second brick building was later built next to the first wooden-frame school. Louden annexed to Fremont who used Louden for adult and special education during the 1980's and 1990's. The old wood building was torn-down in 1986 and the brick school building was moved in 1999, so the funeral home could expand |
Newaygo | Norwick | McDuffy #4f | 6 | W | 1897-about 1967 | Presently on the corner of 12 Mile & Pine Ave | Mr. McDuffy donated the land for this school. This school was moved once so the children would not have to walk over two miles. It was moved with planks, a chain and a horse. In the 1950's the enrollment was down to 5 students and the school was closed. They were bussed to Big Rapids until enrollment increased. Then in 1957 it was annexed to Big Jackson and the school was used for K-3rd grades. In February 1971 the school was sold for $3,050 and is now a residence |
Newaygo | Lincoln | Mena/Minnie Creek/Water #5 | 17 | W | by 1916-after 1944 | Located on 4 Mile Road between Lucy & Baldwin Ave | This school had many names. It was first known as Water School and then Mena Creek School and finally Minnie Creek School. Named after the Sam Mena Lumber Company. The school had indoor chemical toilets. After 1944 the school picked up the students with a bus |
Newaygo | Goodwell | Meyers/Graham #1 | 35 | W | 1897-1943 | At the intersection of Beech St & 1 Mile Rd | It is possible that this school opened as early as 1880 according to the plat map for that year. It was certainly open by 1897 thru 1943 |
Newaygo | Monroe | Mitchell | 31 | Log | 1900-1957 | Located at the corner of Willow St & 7 Mile Rd | This log school was built by 1900, but closed by the early 1930's. It's possible this school was as known as Livermore School |
Newaygo | Goodwell | Nestle/Fairview #6 | 19 | W | by 1922-by 1943 | Located in S/19 on 3 Mile Rd | This school was not open for very long. It is not on the 1900 plat map, but is on the 1922 map. It closed about 20 years later in 1943. Sometimes called Fairview School |
Newaygo | Denver | O'Brien #5f | 11 | W | by 1921-1949 | Located just S of Warner & 5 Mile Rds | Not much information. One photo taken in 1921-22 |
Newaygo | Croton | Oak Grove #3 | 20 | Log/W/B | 1861-1968 | Located at intersection of Elm & 80th Sts, 5 miles S of Croton | In 1988 Oak Grove #3 was added to the State Register of Historic Sites. A log schoolhouse was built around 1861 and donated by Henry Utley. Croton Village was renamed Muskegon Forks. Records of Oak Grove can be found in the archives of the State Dept. in Lansing. Oak Grove had the largest library of the 6 public schools in Croton Township (3 schools had no library books.) The school burned-down in 1914. A brick school was built in 1915. Oak Grove housed grades K-8th from 1915 to 1968 when it closed. It was purchased and has been remodeled keeping it as original as possible |
Newaygo | Everett | Ohrenberger #5 | 10 | W | by 1907-by 1950's | Everett Township | Closed by the mid-1950s when Everett’s one-room schools consolidated into larger district schools |
Newaygo | Dayton | Packard #7 | 27 | Log/W | 1864-1965 | Stone Rd & 32nd St | First term school was held in a home. Then a school was built of planks with homemade benches. About 1885, a wooden-frame school was built. That school was used until 1965 when the district annexed to Fremont School and the building was then used as the Township Hall |
Newaygo | Bridgeton | Palmer #2 | 17 | W | 1923--1965 | In 1923 moved to 116th St & Fitzgerald Ave | Palmer was originally the Damm School in S/20. In 1923 it was moved to S/17 and renamed Palmer |
Newaygo | Ensley | Pangborn #4 & #8 | 34 | W | by 1883-1965 | On border of Newaygo & Montcalm Counties.136th St & Cypress Ave | The Pangborn family moved to the area in the 1850's. Also known as East School because it was on the E side of Township. Elisha Pangborn built a store there in the 1860's. Annexed to Grant Public, but if unsatisfied students could then choose to go to Howard City, Tri-County Grant, or Cedar Springs. They could choose whatever was closest for them to attend |
Newaygo | Ashland | Patterson #5f | 16 | W | 1869-1966 | Corner of 120th & Wisner Ave | The Patterson School was very solidly built including a 2nd room addition in 1910. It is still standing to this day. In 1966 Patterson and nine other districts annexed at the same time. Patterson annexed to Grant Schools. The schoolhouse is currently (1975) being remodeled for use as a parsonage for the Patterson Bible Church |
Newaygo | Croton | Pine Grove #5 | 26 | W | 1883-1946 | At 88th & Beecher Sts | Pine Grove #5 was a wooden-frame school. In 1901 they reshingled their roof and allowed Sunday School to be held there. In 1946 they closed and annexed to Howard City Schools |
Newaygo | Norwich | Pineview #6 | 29 | B | 1954-1994 | Intersection of 7 Mile and Elm St | Some of the rural schools had been sending their students to Towne School and paying tuition. They decided to build a new school and send their students to this new $40,000, 3 room Pineview School. Will house 78, K-8 students. Purchased two 48 passenger buses. Among those schools sending students to Pineview were Cole, Hungerford, Hatfield and Fetterley in Goodwell Township. All 4 of these schools were put up for auction on August 28, 1956. H.S. students went to Big Rapids |
Newaygo | Brooks | Pink/Gifford #3 | 11 | W | 1895-by 1950 | On Croton Rd, 5-6 miles E of Newaygo between Popular & Oak Avenues in S/11 | Mentioned in the newspaper in January 1915. In August of 1941 a note in the Newaygo Republican stated Gifford School is the only rural school open in Brooks Township. Not much information on Gifford School |
Newaygo | Grant | Pleasant Valley #4 | 16 | W | by 1895-1959 | Intersection of Walnut & 120th Sts | In 1884 Pleasant Valley was #4. By 1958-1959 the one-room school was only teaching grades K-6th |
Newaygo | Everett | Pleasant Valley #7 | 1/4 | W | by 1884-after 1954 | NE corner of 8th & Oak Sts | In 1884 Pleasant Valley was listed as School District #4. In the 1950's () annexed to White Cloud Schools |
Newaygo | Lincoln | Ramona/Diamond Lake #1 | 13 | W | by 1880's-1942 | Corner of Mundy Dr & Jackson Rd | The lumber company employed many men who had families and the company would set up schools for the children of the workers. In the late 1800's West Michigan Lumber Company set up with Diamond Lake Mill. After the mill closed the Diamond Lake Ice Company of Grand Rapids employed up to 240 men. At some point the school was called Ramona and Romona School. Burned-down in the winter of 1941-42. The students finished the year, but then started the fall at Birch Grove and some went to White Cloud. Diamond Lake had indoor restrooms which was a plus |
Newaygo | Sheridan | Reeman #7 | 6/7/8 | W | 1870-1965 | This school was at 3 different sites in Sections 6, 7, & 8 | Village of Reeman Schoolhouse. Building later reused |
Newaygo | Goodwell | Reynolds #2 | 5 | W/B/W | by 1898-after 1940 | At the intersection of 5 Mile & Locust Ave, S of Woodville | Reynolds, a wooden-frame school burned-down in the 1920's. It was rebuilt in brick |
Newaygo | Grant | Rice Lake #7 | 1 | W | by 1916-after 1942 | 104th St, Paw Paw in S/1 | Rice Lake was a lake marsh that had wild rice that grew to heights of 6 ft to 8 ft. In 1916 the marsh was drained. The school was named for Rice Lake |
Newaygo | Wilcox | Richards/Kaiser #4 | 9 | W | by 1910-1932 | Originally SE corner of Poplar & Van Buren Rds but moved two more times | Richards School was originally on Poplar and Van Buren. It was then moved a couple of miles N. Still later it was moved again. Kaiser School is believed to have replaced Richards School. The school closed prior to 1932 and many of the students transferred to Towne School in Monroe Township after Kaiser School closed. The Kaiser Schoolhouse became a residence |
Newaygo | Wilcox | River Valley/Stockwell #5 | 20 | W | 1891-1927 | On W side of M-37, 2 1/2 miles N of White Cloud | The contract for building the River Valley School, also known at Stockwell School, was for $120 in 1891. After the school closed it was remodeled and used as the Wilcox Township Hall |
Newaygo | Home | Riverside #4 | 8 | Log/W/B | 1897-1956 | Brick Riversize at 16 Mile Rd W of Walnut St | Riverside was originally a log schoolhouse called Myers Mill and located on the Pere Marquette River. It was near the lumber mill. A more suitable schoolhouse was built on the opposite bank called Riverside, but that burned. Sometime before 1907 a brick schoolhouse was built on 16 mile Rd, W of Walnut St, as that new location was more centrally located. Riverside consolidated with Big Jackson School. Teaching at Riverside appears to have stopped in 1943. Students attended Big Jackson School. Riverside was sold in the fall of 1956 for $512.00. The Riverside Schoolhouse is still standing. In 1996 it was being used as a hunting cabin |
Newaygo | Sherman | Robinson Lake #5 | 10 | W | 1900-1923/1930's | N side of Robinson Lake at 12th & McClelland Rd | The school closed in 1923, but was opened again for a while in the 1930's |
Newaygo | Grant | Rogue River #5 | 26/35 | W | by 1900-1966 | Located at the N side of 136th & Thornapple St. After lightning struck school rebuilt across the street | The original school was in S/35 but the school was struck by lightning and burned-down in 1916. It was rebuilt in 1919 across the street in S/26. Had a hot lunch program and was the smallest school in the state to have hot lunch. After 1946 a Christian School opened and many students left Rogue for that school. Named for its proximity to the Rogue River. School closed in 1966 and annexed with Grant Public Schools. Rogue School had a reunion in 2005 |
Newaygo | Wilcox | Romans #3 | 23 | W | 1903-mid 1940's | Located at the corner of Poplar & Monroe Rds was the Romans School | The school was named after the Byron Romans family that lived on Poplar N of Monroe. The school burned-down sometime in the mid 1940's and was not rebuilt |
Newaygo | Sherman | Rootstown #2 | 33 | W | 1865-1965 | 48th St & Baldwin Ave | This was the first school built in the Township. Named for the first teacher, Mrs. Rilla Dickinson Root. The first Rootstown was a wooden structure. In 1885, a 2nd brick school was built. Around 1900 the school was covered in red brick and divided into two-rooms with 2 teachers. It closed in 1965 and consolidated with Fremont Schools. After closure it was used as farm grain storage |
Newaygo | Grant | Salem/Ranglebird #3 | 5 | W | 1877-1962 | 104th & Willow Sts | Sometimes called Ranglebird School. The school closed in 1962 and has been a church since 2011 |
Newaygo | Ashland | Schenck #4f | 1 | W | 1884-1962 | Corner of Warner Ave & 96th St | In 1954 the state fire warden condemned Schenck School and it looked like it would have to be closed. The local citizens quickly raised $3,000 for repairs and it was open until 1962 when it annexed to Fremont Schools. Two years later the school was purchased by the Eager Beaver 4-H Club. Looks abandoned in 2024 |
Newaygo | Brooks | School District #1 | 22 | W | by 1941 | Corner Hazelwood & 72nd St | Nothing more known |
Newaygo | Beaver | Shaw/Hardscrabble #4 | 1 | W | by 1895-1968 | NE corner of 11 Mile & Warner Rds | The first school may have been logs and it is unknown what happened to it. A 2nd school #4 Shaw was built in 1924 and was located 1/4 mile N of the original school site. It closed following the 1967-68 school year and the students went to Walkerville Schools. The H.S. students had been transferring to either Walkerville or Hesperia for High School depending on which was closer to their home. The wooden-frame school still stands but is in poor condition |
Newaygo | Goodwell | Smith #7 | 11 | W | by 1912-after 1942 | Intersection of Beech & 5 Mile Rd | Sometimes referred to as the Smith School of Woodville. Date it closed and current status unknown |
Newaygo | Bridgeton | Smith/McLean #5 | 9 | W | by 1895-1965 | Intersection 108th & Green Sts | The students had a lot of events such as the May Pole, Halloween, Christmas pageant, Child Evangelism (Bible Study), Valentine Parties, Thanksgiving, Milkman delivery, Special Art and Music days and Nurse visits for shots. One negative event was the teacher and her husband took a vacation to Florida and on the way back she was killed in a car accident in Indiana |
Newaygo | Croton | Snowtown | 3/4 | Log | 1854-1920 | School was in 3 different spots | Closed soon after the logging era |
Newaygo | Garfield | South Garfield #4f | 32/33 | W | by 1901-1950's | Started in S/33 but moved to 88th & Baldwin Rd in S/32 | In 1901 the district prepared to build a new school. It was to be 23 ft x 38 ft in size and finished in the best possible manner throughout. The wainscoting is a beautiful red oak and the white walls are beautiful as well. The school closed sometime in the 1950's |
Newaygo | Ensley | Spring Valley #4 | 20 | W | by late 1940's | 120th St just E of Locust | Named for the spring of water that was near school. Closed in 1941 due to low enrollment with students sent to Ensley Center School. Reopened in 1946 when the student population increased |
Newaygo | Barton | Stone #4 | 29 | W | by 1880-1958 | Elm St & 14 Mile Rd | Due to low enrollment the school for grades 4-8th annexed to Big Jackson School District in 1959. Those in K-3 remained at Stone. School is now privately owned but in poor condition |
Newaygo | Big Prairie | Taylor French #1 | 20 | Log/W | 1855-1957 | Originally 1 mile S of Big Prairie Post Office when known as Taylor School | In 1855-56 Taylor was built in S/20 (a log school). Later between 1880-1900, it was moved 1 mile E and known then as French School. Very possibly was rebuilt as a wooden-frame school as shown in photos |
Newaygo | Big Prairie | Thompson #10 | 26 | Log/CB | 1885-1946 | 1/4 mile S of 36th St on Beach St | Originally a log school from 1885-1905. In 1905 it was replaced by a cement block building. School was annexed to Morley Schools in 1946 and closed. Big Prairie then auctioned Thompson in 1946 along with 4 other schools. It stated Thompson was 34 ft x 22 ft and had a 14 ft x 16 ft woodshed |
Newaygo | Beaver | Torcotte #2 | 30 | W | 1878-1957 | Corner of Polk & Dickinson between 7 & 8 Mile Rds | Torcotte School had various spellings and pronunciations. By 1948-49 some students were being transported to Hesperia. The school officially closed in 1957 |
Newaygo | Beaver | Torrey #1 | 12 | W | by 1895-1949 | Located at the intersection of 17 Mile & Elm Rd | As the school population dropped Torrey School closed after the 1948-49 school year. The students were transported either to Davenport or Davis Schools. The building was still used for events such as dances after it was no longer a schoolhouse. Wooden structure and is still standing |
Newaygo | Goodwell | Town Hall/Fetterley/Goodwell #4 | 15 | W | by 1902-1945 | Located on Cypress near Jackson St | Town Hall School, so called because it was by the Town Hall. Was also referred to as Fetterley (although there already was a Fetterley in a different township) and it was also called the Goodwill after the Township. Town Hall School closed in 1945. The students attended White Cloud Schools. The buildings belonging to Town Hall School were taken and converted into two residences |
Newaygo | Monroe | Towne #6f | 35 | W | after 1900-1937 | M-20 near Woodville (Corner of Poplar & 6 Mile Rd) | The school was in operation until the 1936-37 school year. It had no electricity, an outside pump and outhouses. A few years later the Civilian Conservation Corp demolished the building due to a government mistake. The district was paid for the demolished school and the property itself was put up for sale and sold in 1942 |
Newaygo | Grant | Train #1 | 27 | Log/W/CB | 1866-69- 1955 | 132nd & Spruce Sts | Named after the Train family. First school was 16 ft x 24 ft, log and quite crude. In about 1877, 1/2 mile S a new frame-school was built, but it burned in the 1900's. It was replaced by a cement building. Closed soon after 1955 and annexed to Grant |
Newaygo | Everett | Tripp #4 | 28 | W | by 1890-1927 | Tripp Rd & 8 Mile Rd | Only information is a few photos. Closed on consolidation |
Newaygo | Troy | Troy #3 | 32 | W | by 1905-1957 | Located at the corner of 13 Mile & Dickinson Rds sat Troy School #3 | This nice looking wooden-framed school had outhouses. By 1948 the students were being transported to Walkerville. The district officially annexed to Walkerville School District in 1957 |
Newaygo | Dayton | Tyndall #8 | 32 | W | 1882-1965 | Corner of 40th & Fitzgerald Rd | Tyndall had a basement with a kitchen and tables where the students would eat instead of eating at their desks. Tyndall annexed in 1965 and was closed, sold, and remodeled into a residence |
Newaygo | Sheridan | Van Korlaar #8 | 13 | W/B | by 1880-1965 | On Warner just S of 64th St | Originally Van Korlaar was wooden-frame. Then a brick school was built. The district closed in 1965. The Fremont Veterans of Foreign Wars purchased the building for their meetings. The building was sold again in 2010 when the VFW built a new hall in another location |
Newaygo | Monroe | VanAssen #7 | 17 | W | after 1900-1948 | On the corner of Lincoln & Walnut St | Built about 1900. The school closed in the 1940's and we know by 1948 students were being transported to Woodville School. The schoolhouse was later torn-down |
Newaygo | Beaver | Volney #1 | 7 | W | 1870-1964 | Dickinson & Grant Rds near Island Lake | The first years in this area school were held in a home. Then Volney #1 was built and an addition added in 1907. This gave room for a 2nd teacher who taught grades 7-10. Then during the war years the school closed for 4 years, but reopened again in 1950 and continued until it sent its students to Hesperia in 1964, paying tuition for them to attend there. The district officially annexed to Hesperia by 1968. The Volney Schoolhouse was torn-down |
Newaygo | Dayton | Walker #2f | 4 | Log/W | 1855-1965 | Walker located near 8th St and Bruckner in S/4 | History tells us that in 1855 a log schoolhouse was in the center of what is known now as bull cemetery. Church and Sunday School were held there also. In 1869 a new schoolhouse made of wooden-frame was built. In 1872 the school year was made 7 months long. Walker School was annexed into the Fremont School District in 1965. Walker School is still standing but it looks abandoned and it's windows boarded up |
Newaygo | Dayton | Waters #3f | 24 | W | 1874-1965 | Waters was at the corner of 32nd & Luce Ave | The school closed when the district was annexed to Fremont in 1965. The school remained abandoned and then it burned-down in July, 1983 |
Newaygo | Ashland | Wheat #4 | 28 | W | 1866-1964 | On Wisner Ave between 124th & 136th Sts | Wheat School annexed to Grant Schools in 1964. Grant Schools then used the schoolhouse for storage. There was talk some years later of letting the fire department practice by burning it down. The bell from Wheat School had been removed from the belfry when the school closed and is now rung at Grant High School Football games when a touchdown is scored. There are now plans to restore Wheat School including returning the bell to the belfry |
Newaygo | Home | Whipple/Woodville #3f | 18 | Log/W | 1870-1959 | N of Whipple Cemetery on Pine Ave | First schoolhouse built in the Township was log, in S/18, and was called Whipple. Then a wooden two-room school was built called Woodville.This was wood-framed and had 2 classrooms built in 1883 in S/30. As student enrollment declined Whipple consolidated with Pineview in 1959. The school is still in its original location, painted red, and has been a hunting cabin along with being used for other activities such as a church, rummage sales, etc. |
Newaygo | Wilcox | White Cloud Agricultural | Various | W | 1918-1965 | Various locations in White Cloud starting in 1878 | By 1947 more and more rural schools were sending all their students or their H.S. students to White Cloud and paying tuition. White Cloud kept adding buildings and a large school building was constructed in 1961. About that time White Cloud had 1,300 students and 63 teachers, 5 secretaries, 7 aides, 5 cooks, 9 custodians and 15 bus drivers. In 1947 rural schools sending students or having annexed to White Cloud were Everett, Goodwell, Monroe, Wilson, Sherman and Lincoln |
Newaygo | Everett | Wilcox-Union #3 | 6 | W | 1901-1957 | Wilcox Ave & 10 Mile Rd | The only thing known is that on September 20, 1901 the school closed to honor President McKinley's funeral day and the flag was at half mast in memory of his sad death |
Newaygo | Grant | Windfall #2 | 30 | W | 1886-1961/62 | Intersection of 132nd St & Willow Rd | Closed down 1961/62 |
Newaygo | Merrill | Woodland Park #5 | 10 | W | 1914-1957 | Located at 11 Mile & Bingham Rds | Woodland Park School was developed in the 1920's as a summer resort for African Americans in the nearby Idlewild Resort. It may have been a Standard School, and photos showing it in good repair. When the photo was taken is unknown |
Newaygo | Sherman | Wooster #3 | 20 | Log/W | 1868-1966 | Wooster is five miles northeast of Fremont. | The first Wooster School was made of logs. About 20 years later a 2nd school was built in a different location and it was a wood-frame building. The original log school was torn-down. In 1953 the school was partitioned into a two-room school. In 1965 the partition was taken out and only 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades attended. The school annexed to Fremont in 1966. The school building was sold and converted into a garage |
Oakland | Troy | #1 | 1833 | First schoolhouse built in Troy. Don't know name or Township. Oakland History book p. 288. Troy High School built in 1950 | |||
Oakland | Walled Lake | #1 | Log/B | 1834 | 1st lot on home of Dr. Hoyt's property NE of town | 2nd school of stone built in the heart of community and served until 1896. A frame school on W side of town is now the Masonic Hall. Was a school until 1922. Walled Lake Western High School in 1969. 10 Elementary's, 2 Junior High's & 12 Senior High's which included 500 teachers and 10,000 students | |
Oakland | Sylvan | #3 | 34 | W | 1882-1950 | US-10 & M-66, S/34 | CD 60/61. Gone. Consolidated with Evart Schools |
Oakland | Brandon | #6f | M-15, N of Glass Rd | ||||
Oakland | Avon | 1st School | Log | 1824 | William Burbank Farm | One of first schools taught by Susan Baldwin in a log shanty on the William Burbank Farm. This was about 1824. About the same time a school was taught in an old house at Rochester. The teacher a man named Farrington. Oakland History p. 137 | |
Oakland | Pontiac | 1st School | Log | 1824 | Auburn Heights Village on the banks of Clinton River | First School in Village of Auburn | |
Oakland | Avon | 2nd School | W | 1825 | E of Stony Creek | In a plank school in 1825. School was taught just E of Stony Creek. The teacher was John Chapman. A half built log school preceded this plank school | |
Oakland | Pontiac | 2nd School | about 1825 | On lot given by Aaron Webster | 2nd school was new and built on a lot donated for school use. Soon after construction it was accidentally destroyed by fire | ||
Oakland | Avon | 3rd School | 27 | Log | 1825-26 | SW part of S/27 | Log school in S/27 followed by next log school a mile north of the old one. Miss Charlotte Brooks was the teacher. History of Oakland p. 137 |
Oakland | Independence | Academy | W | 1850 | W shore of Park's Lake | Nelson Clark erected a large two-story frame house on a beautiful lot on Park's Lake which he built for an academy. A select school continued until 1862 when it was sold to the public school. A graded school started that year with 3 teachers. History of Oakland p. 211 | |
Oakland | Groveland/Horton | Algoe | 1853-1948 | Consolidated in 1948 | |||
Oakland | Springfield | Andersonville #5 | 5 | Log?/W | 1838- 1950's? | 1st school Andersonville & Big Lake Rds | In 1838, first school built which burned-down. In 1871, 3rd school built on site. In 1891, this 4th school built in Queen Anne School and later became the Springfield Township Library. In 1951, school district consolidated with the Clarkston Schools. Verified 100 years Springfield p. 6 |
Oakland | Addison | Arnold | W | 1857-1957 | 33050 Lakeville Rd, Oxford, MI 48370 | Church activity building | |
Oakland | Pontiac | Auburn Academy | B | 1831-still by 1908 | Primary & Juniper Sts where Presbyterian Church is now | Established by an act of the legislative council. The Academy was the first state-chartered Academy in Oakland County and 4th in Michigan after Detroit, Monroe and Ann Arbor. By 1925 the Academy building was housing grade school children. Academy Bell now in front of Presbyterian Church donated by Park family | |
Oakland | Groveland | Austin #10f | B | 1840-1967 | Dixie & Oakhill Rds | Consolidated with Holly District Schools in 1967 | |
Oakland | Springfield | Austin Corners #10f | 3 | W/B | 1845-by 1951? | 2nd school, of brick in 1878 was later moved to Oak Hill Rd | Built on the NW corner of NW 1/4 of S/3 in 1845. Brick school built in 1878. Later moved to Oak Hill Rd. Now a residence. In 1951 district consolidated with the Holly Area Schools. 100 years of Springfield p. 7 |
Oakland | Pontiac | Avondale School District | B | 1924 | Squirrel & Waukegan Rds | Four-room built as part of the Auburn Heights Elementary School. Originally housed grades K-8 and then became a H.S. as well | |
Oakland | Pontiac | Avondale School District | B | 1947 | Auburn Heights School consolidated with 3 Avon Township schools: Elmwood, Stiles and Stone to create a new school district | ||
Oakland | Pontiac | Avondale School District | B | 1951 | Between Livernois and Crooks Rds | 1st H.S. built. In 1955, a Junior H.S. was built on Waukegan. In 1968 a new Elementary School opened on Old Salem Rd. In 1970 current H.S. building opened, old H.S. because middle school and old Junior H.S. are a community center. In 1975 additions were made to the H.S. | |
Oakland | Brandon | Bailey Lake #4 | Pine Knob & Whipple Lake Rds | Clarkston | |||
Oakland | Brandon | Bailey Lake #5 | Log | circa 1837 | Hurd & Oakwood Rds | ||
Oakland | Pontiac | Bald Mountain School | circa 1850? | M-24 & Bald Mountain Rd (Bald or Bell Mtn Rds, 5 miles NE of Pontiac) | Small settlement including Bald Mountain School | ||
Oakland | Avon | Baldwin | |||||
Oakland | Highland | Beaumont #7f | W | 1939-1946 | Corner of Duck Lake Rd & Jackson Blvd | In 1938, the district felt they needed a new school and a site was donated by John and Harry Beaumont. The two-room school opened in Jan 1939 for all 8 grades. They hired a woman teacher for the lower grades and a man teacher for the upper grades. In 1946, Beaumont and 4 other rural schools consolidated eventually with the Milford School district. After Beaumont was closed as a school it was used as a church and a daycare center. Huron Valley p. 35 | |
Oakland | Troy | Big Beaver #6 | 1870's-after 1952 | Big Beaver Village & Rochester Rd | 1952 in Troy School District | ||
Oakland | Independence | Bigalow #6 | 1872 | Shapple Rd between Hadley & Perry Lake Rds | Consolidated with Clarkston. Photo: Possibly Brandon Township. Not independence | ||
Oakland | Milford | Bird/Padley/5th Ave #3 | 2 | Log/ | 1843-1940 | Originally on the Farm of John Atkin on the SW corner of Buno & Hickory Ridge Rds | The Padley School was made of logs by local men. By the late 1890's Bird School had a Lyceum. These were held during the winter months for some 40 or 50 years (Hence Fifth Ave) Musical selections, prose, poetry, recitations or readings, and a debate on a timely topic were presented at the Lyceum. The admission fee went to buy such things as the organ and library books. In 1940 the people voted to consolidate with Milford Schools. The Bird building was sold and relocated on the N side of Buno Rd where it is now used as a residence. Huron Valley p. 35 and History of Milford |
Oakland | Lyon | Blackwood | |||||
Oakland | Orion | Blanche Sims Elementary | 10-11 | B | 1950- | Florence St, Lake Orion | Grades K-6. The following rural schools consolidated with Lake Orion Community Schools: Proper, Howarth, Carpenter, Eaton, and Webber. Webber and Carpenter were still used and had additions made to them in 1960. Carpenter's addition included 5 classrooms and a multi-purpose room which brought it up to 11 classrooms. History of Orion |
Oakland | Brandon | Block #14 | 1867 | Baldwin Rd, 1/2 mile from Township line | Orion District | ||
Oakland | Farmington | Bond | B | 1926-1974 | N side of 13 Mile Rd, W of Orchard Lake Rd | Two-story brick school was named after Isaac Bond, Township supervisor who had owned the land. There were many additions over the years. It was closed in 1974 and sold to developers in the early 1980's and turned into an office complex. (Internet) | |
Oakland | Milford | Bourns #3 | 2 | See Foote (Bourns) | Cannot find Bourns in S/2 | ||
Oakland | Southfield | Brace #8 | Midway & Evergreen Rds | ||||
Oakland | Brandon | Brandon Center #7 | 1842-1940 | S of Granger Rd, E of Hadley Rd | Consolidated in 1940 | ||
Oakland | Brandon | Brandon Union #2 | W | -1942 | Poli & Sashabaw Rds | Consolidated in 1942 | |
Oakland | Addison | Brewer | W | by 1889- | There in 1889 | ||
Oakland | Sylvan | Britz/Hanson #7 | 15 | 1990-1920 | M-66, S/15 | Annexed to Sylvan District #2 | |
Oakland | Southfield | Brooks #5 | B | 1839-1917 | Lasher & 11 Mile Rds | ||
Oakland | Avon | Brush | |||||
Oakland | Lyon | Bullard #7f | 11 Mile W of Martin Rd | Gone. Burned-down | |||
Oakland | Commerce | Burch #6f | W | 1859-1921 | Originally on Wixom Rd near present trailer park | A frame school made of wide planks was built on Wixom Rd. It was about 20 ft x 36 ft. It was not well insulated. It was a large school in 1859 with 45 students. By 1908 there were only 7 pupils. The district #6f was the 1st to send its pupils by bus to Milford #4f. They did not buy a bus, but used a converted Model T Ford Truck. They were one of 7 rural schools in 1921 that consolidated with Mitford Schools. Burch was sold after the consolidation in 1922 and the building was remodeled into a residence that still stands on the former school site. Huron Valley p. 36 | |
Oakland | Oakland | Bush #4 | Inwood Rd, 6 miles N of Rochester | Gone. Torn-down after annexation | |||
Oakland | Avon | Carpenter | |||||
Oakland | Novi | Chapman #8f | W | NW corner of Taft & 9 Mile Rds on acre land | Fractional. Torn-down | ||
Oakland | Bloomfield | Circle | 9 or 12 | By 1872- | Woodward near Long Lake Rd, Bloomfields Hills | Made into an office building. Only the bell remains with a plaque on the side of the building. 1872 atlas | |
Oakland | Orion | Clark #1 | Log | 1834 | Clark's Corners on and owned by Elijah B. Clark | In 1836, the Township was divided into four districts and log schools were built in these locals. Two were the Block in the NW part of the Township and the Shanghai in the central part. The first school at Orion was a frame school built in 1844. It is now a residence. In 1868, a brick structure 38 ft x 52 ft was completed at a cost of $4,000. It will accommodate 200 pupils. In other parts of the Township frame buildings have replaced the first log schools. History of Oakland p. 257 | |
Oakland | Orion | Clark School #1 | 12? | Log | by 1836-to 1955 | Originally at Clark's Corners on and owned by Elijah B. Clark. Now E corner of M-24 and Scripps Rd | A log schoolhouse in Orion Township was built on Elijah B. Clark's land. (Clark School) There were 2 teachers. In 1836 the Township was divided into 4 districts and a log school built in each district. The Block School was in the NW part of the Township. The Shanghai School was built in the central part. Today the Shanghai School exists as the central part of the Assembly of God Church on West Clarkston Rd. A schoolhouse stayed at this location until 1955. A history of Orion p. 64. The first school at Orion was a frame school built in 1844. It is now a residence. In 1868, a brick structure 38 ft x 52 ft was completed at a cost of $4,000. It will accommodate 200 pupils. In other parts of the Township frame buildings have replaced the first log schools. History of Oakland p. 257. History of Orion |
Oakland | Waterford | Clarkston Station #4f | 6 | W | -By 1883-1943/44 | Anderson & White Lake Rds, S/6 | #4f Clarkston did not want to consolidate with Waterford Township, so in 1942 the school moved across the corner into Springfield Township, and in early 1950's consolidated with Clarkston Community Schools. 100 years of Springfield p. 13 |
Oakland | Royal Oak | Clinton | |||||
Oakland | Waterford | Clintonville #7 | Log/W/B | 1838-1953 | Walton Blvd & Clintonville Rd | Day care | |
Oakland | Highland | Clyde #3 | Log/W/B | 1837- | District was organized in 1837. First school was log. Consolidated in 1921 | ||
Oakland | Highland | Clyde (also called Old Clyde) #3 | Log | 1837-1921 | Log school on S side of White Lake just E of Grass Lake Rd. Present building at corner of White Lake and Milford Rds | A home and log school were used before a school was built by White Lake and Milford Rds. In the early 1900's a 9th grade was added. In 1868 Clyde built a new school a short distance from the original school site. A plaque mounted on a large stone near the road was a gift from Clyde School Alumni to honor the young men in the area who fought in the Civil War, Spanish American War, and WWI. A fraternal order now owns this building | |
Oakland | Troy | Colerain | 1870's-after 1952 | Troy School District in 1952 | |||
Oakland | Commerce | Commerce #10 | W | 1845-1960 | 4875 Comstock Rd, Commerce, MI | Residence. State Historic Site 1986. Greek Revival 1890 | |
Oakland | Groveland | Cottage #6 | Log/B | 1837- | Dixie Rd, S of Grange Hall Rd | Replaced with a brick building in 1872. Now a residence | |
Oakland | Springfield | Covell #9 | before 1850-by 1954. | First school moved to Charles Covel Farm. Second frame-schoolhouse built in 1883. That school in 2011 was still standing. In 1954 district consolidated with Davisburg School. Verified in 100 years of Springfield p. 7 | |||
Oakland | Waterford | Covert #3 | 26 | 1833-1932/34 | Scott Lake Rd, S/26 | Gone | |
Oakland | Rose | Craft #1f | W | 1838-1854 | Gone. Burned-down | ||
Oakland | Bloomfield | Daniel Whitfield #6f | W | 1852-19991 | Originally at Orchard Lake and Ward Rds | The first Daniel Whitfield School was built in 1852. It was the first school in Sylvan Lake and was a small white frame building. A new school was built in 1894. The first school was sold for $413. Only the bell was transferred to the new building. It taught grades 1-8. In September of 1920 the name of the school was changed from Skate or Ammond to Daniel Whitfield School. A 3rd larger school was completed in 1927 and it had 7 classrooms and an office. In 1929 a library, music room and gym were added. Approximately 180 pupils were enrolled when in 1947 it annexed to Pontiac Schools. The building was still used as an Elementary School and in June, 1959 the enrollment was 715 students. The school was closed in 1991 because of budget problems with Pontiac Schools (internet) | |
Oakland | Springfield | Day/Bondige #2 | 9 | Log/W | 1839-1946 | Intersection of Rattalee Lake Rd & Nolton Bigelow's Farm | In 1839, a log school was built in S/9 at intersection of Rattalee Lake Rd and Nolton Bigelow Farm. In 1854 a frame school built on same site with District #3. In 1870, a new frame school built and served both District #2 and #3. Known as Bondige School. 1946 was the last year it was open. In 1951 district consolidated with Holly Area Schools. Verified in 100 years of Springfield Schools p. 9 |
Oakland | Rose | District #1 | Log | 1838 | Hadley Neighborhood | Replaced by a frame-school in 1856-57 and One of the best in the township. | |
Oakland | Rose | District #2 | 1837-38 | ||||
Oakland | Rose | District #3 | 1838 | Rose Corners |