top of page

Requirements needed to achieve 

status of a Standard School.

​​​​​​​

1.  School year of nine months

2.  Suitable salary

3.  Proper lighting

4.  School grounds of at least 1/2 acre

5.  Schoolhouse in good repair

6.  Well or sanitary drinking fountain

7.  Hardwood floors

8.  Heating and ventilating system

9.  Library of 80 volumes

10.  Seats and desks suitable for all ages

11.  Good blackboards with some for small children

12.  A dictionary, flag, maps, charts, glove, organ, and pictures

*Almost every school had a picture of George Washington & Abraham Lincoln. Some schools also had pictures of other significant Generals

Database of Michigan Schoolhouses

Welcome to the Michigan Schoolhouse Database collected by the Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association.

Containing more than seven-thousand entries, it is one of the largest available databases for Michigan schoolhouses.

Schoolhouse Type
Description
Features
Time Period
Log
Logs filled with chinks, maybe newspaper
Crude benches, gas lanterns, no desk, no windows
Predominant before 1880
Wood Frame (W)
Wood frame, some windows & at least 1 door
Outside privies, wood stove, gas lanterns, well outside
Late 19th Century on
Outside privies, pot belly wood stove, gas lanterns, well
Brick (B)
Brick, windows, doors, floors, & desks
Gas lanterns, wood stove, & outside privies, well outside
Late 19th century on
Cement blocks. Usually made on-site
Cement Block (CD)
Well, wood stove, privies, gas lanterns
Modern era
Stucco
Stucco exterior finish
Similar amenities to wood & brick schools
Varied late 19th century on, rare
Cobblestones (CB)
Cobblestones collected from the farm fields
Similar amenities to wood & brick schools
Varied, rare
County
Township
School & School #
Section
BM
Year
Location
Notes
Macomb
Warren
Busch/Centerline #2
1921-
Center Line Public Schools
Macomb
Richmond
Bywater #12
Memphis Community Schools
Macomb
Clinton
Cady #5
Fraser Public Schools
Macomb
Bruce
Campground #2f
Campground & 33 Mile Rds
Part of a residence. Consolidated in 1949. Romeo Community Schools. Fractional. MORSA
Macomb
Sterling
Canal #10f
Canal Rd
Utica Community Schools
Macomb
Macomb
Card #10
W
1870-
Card Rd
Consolidated to Chippewa Valley Schools. Now a residence
Macomb
Ray
Cascade #2f
1820's-1952
68221 Romeo Plank Rd
Named for natural feature. Residence. Romeo Community Schools. MORSA
Macomb
Clinton
Cass or Coulon #2f
Chippewa Valley Schools
Macomb
Warren
Center Line #2f
30
1869-
Ten Mile & State Rds, S/30
Replaced by Busch School in 1922
Macomb
Chesterfield
Chesterfield
-1960
47275 Sugarbush Rd
Closed in 1960. Building restored. MORSA
Macomb
Lenox
Church #6
Richmond Community Schools
Macomb
Lenox
Claggett #1f
Richmond Community Schools
Macomb
Richmond
Clay #7
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Washington
Clifford Mills #2f
Annexed to Romeo Community Schools
Macomb
Bruce
Clifton #2f
67395 Dequindre, N of 31 Mile Rd
Fractional. MORSA
Macomb
Washington
Crissmanville
1860-
66885 Mound Rd, Thoringtonville
Established in 1860. Standing but vacant. MORSA
Macomb
Shelby
Crowe #9
25
21 Mile & Schoenherr Rds, S/25
Macomb
Ray
Davis #3
-1952
Carpentry shop. Consolidated in 1952. Romeo Community Schools. MORSA
Macomb
Demolished
W side of Omo Rd
Macomb
Sterling
Dequindre #9
Macomb
Ray
Dickens #15f
Romeo Plank Rd N of 29 Mile Rd
Church. Old regular Baptist Church. Romeo Community Schools. MORSA
Macomb
Shelby
Disco #6
1850-
24 Mile & Van Dyke Rds, SW corner
In 1850 some men began an educational experiment and started the Macomb High School Association as a Township School district. Kids from all the Townships could attend. It was a premier school in Macomb county with an enrollment of 157 students. The school burned-down in 1880 and was rebuilt and continued for another 36 years. It was sold to the Township in 1903 and ran as a public school for another 53 years. Then it became an Elementary School. In the 1950's Utica Community Schools built two new Elementary Schools in Disco. The original Academy was torn-down years ago and replaced by a gas station. It still has Andrews School. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 100. Students attend Utica Community Schools
Macomb
Macomb
Dittrich #3f
Chippewa Valley Schools
Macomb
Armada
Donaldson #10f
8
Romeo Plank Rd at Reid Rd, S/8
Donaldson original land donor. Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Lenox
Dryer #4
W
1900-1949
Was located at 63997 Omo Rd, New Haven
Annexed to Richmond Community Schools. Demolished
Macomb
Warren
East Chicago #3
4
by 1875-circa 1951
On Chicago Rd between Van Dyke & Mound Rds, S/4
Sold in 1951 to the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Tavern. Now drastically remodeled. Warren Consolidated Schools
Macomb
Erin
Eastland #6
Roseville School District
Macomb
Erin
Erin Township #5
22322 Madison Rd, St. Clair Shores
Residence. MORSA
Macomb
Shelby
Ewell #5f
17
23 Mile & Shelby Rds, S/17
Utica Community Schools
Macomb
Sterling
Fox #1
Clinton River Rd, E of Hayes Rd
No. 1 grades 1-4, No. 2 grades 5-8. W of the cemetery
Macomb
Clinton
Fox #3f
Chippewa Valley Schools
Macomb
Erin
Fraser #1f
Fraser Public Schools
Macomb
Armada
Freeman #1
30
NW corner of Romeo Plank & 33 Mile Rds, S/30
Consolidated to Romeo Community Schools. Gone. Burned-down
Macomb
Frog Mountain
W
On Youtube program. In disrepair. Have no clue as to how it was named
Macomb
Richmond
Frost #11
W
Warren Consolidated Schools
Macomb
Clinton
Garfield #4f
Chippewa Valley Schools
Macomb
Erin
Greater Gratiot #3f
Roseville School District
Macomb
Chesterfield
Green #6
L'Anse Creuse Public Schools
Macomb
Erin/Warren
Halfway Schoolhouse #2f
Log/W
1840-1921
Original location was on Grove facing 9 mile road. Moved and used as warehouse. Moved again and museum 15500 9 Mile Rd, (9 Mile & Gratiot Rds)
In the 1840's a log school was built. In 1850, a red frame school replaced that. The present Halfway School was built in 1872 and located in the Village of Halfway between Mt Clemens and Detroit. When school closed in 1921 it was moved to the SE corner of 9 Mile & Gratiot Rds and used as a warehouse. In 1984 the East Detroit Historical Society acquired it and moved it back near the original site and restored it to it's 19th Century appearance. It is now a Museum. Michigan Historical Site. Traveling thru Time p. 273
Macomb
Washington
Hall
by 1903-at least 1930
Corner of 27 Mile & Schoenherr Rds
Building converted into a residence. MORSA. Through These Doors p. 21
Macomb
Warren
Halmick & Warner #6
Warren Consolidated Schools
Macomb
Lenox
Harris ck #5f
New Haven Rd
New Haven Community Schools
Macomb
Macomb
Hartway #4
Chesterfield Elementary School
Macomb
Lake
Hathaway Institute
Anchor Bay School District
Macomb
Ray
Heldt #5
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Clinton
Herman Klix #7f
L'Anse Creuse Public Schools
Macomb
Armada
Hicks #3f
33
32 Mile & Hicks Rds, S/33
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Richmond
High Banks #5
Named for natural feature. Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Bruce
Hosner #10
Hosner was the original land doner
Residence. Romeo Community Schools. Building moved to Almont and converted into a residence. MORSA
Macomb
Lenox
Howe #11f
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Richmond
Hunt #2
Richmond Community Schools
Macomb
Harrison
Jefferson #1
L'Anse Creuse Public Schools
Macomb
Erin
Kern Road #4f
Roseville School District
Macomb
Lake
Lake Shore #1
Lakeshore Public Schools
Macomb
Harrison
Lakeside
Jefferson Rd
Macomb
Lake
Lakeview #2
Lakeview Public Schools
Macomb
Warren
Leonard Schemm
27
Hoover Rd at 9 Mile Rd
Replaced by Washington School
Macomb
Chesterfield
Little Brick #5f
Anchor Bay School District
Macomb
Lowell
22
W
late 1800
At Gratiot and 28 Mile Rd
19 miles N of Halfway School
Macomb
Bruce
Mack #11f
Romeo Community Schools
Macomb
Macomb
Macomb #1
B
1890
Romeo Plank & 25 Mile Rds
In 1955 St. Peter's bought the school and used it from 1957 to 1962. Property sold in 1962 and school torn down. Macomb Twp Fire Station #4 opened on the site in 2006. (Thank you to Dawn Miller) See picture in Gallery
Macomb
Sterling
Maple Grove #3
1838-1873
Clinton River Rd
Macomb
Bruce
McKay #6
34 Mile Rd E of McKay Rd
Gone. Torn-down in 1973. Romeo Community Schools. MORSA
Macomb
Macomb
Meade #7f
Very old school named after pioneer. (Youtube)
New Haven Community Schools
Macomb
Richmond
Memphis #1f
34
Memphis Ridge Rd at Kogg Rd, S/34
Macomb
Warren
Mielke/Fitzgerald #7
29
1894-
9 Mile & Ryan Rds, S/29
Enlarged in 1921. Sold to Fitzgerald School District in 1953. Le Club Le Salle
Macomb
Ray
Mill(s)
W
1862-1953
64255 Wolcott Rd
Purchased for use as a school in 1862. Closed in 1953 and consolidated. Building used as the Township Hall for 10 years, then 10 years later became the Township Library. Addition added in 1986
Macomb
Chesterfield
Milton #2
Named after Pioneer. Village of Milton. (Youtube)
Chesterfield Elementary School
Macomb
Sterling
Montfont #8f
35
S/35
Warren Consolidated Schools
Macomb
Clinton
Moravian #6
Chippewa Valley Schools
Macomb
Clinton
Mount Clemens #1f
Mount Clemens Community Schools
Macomb
Washington
Mt Vernon #10f
B
1848
7207 28 Mile Rd. Named after Pioneer. (Youtube)
Residence
Macomb
Sterling
Mulvey #9f
W
15 Mile Rd between Utica & Garfield Rds
Gone. There in 1907. Burned-down in the late 1920's. Warren Consolidated Schools
Macomb
Warren
Murthum High #8
1926-
Public Schools
Warren Consolidated Schools
Macomb
Lenox
New Haven #9f
New Haven Community Schools
Macomb
Harrison
Newton/ Irwin Road #2
Irwin Rd
L'Anse Creuse Public Schools
Macomb
Harrison
North River
Macomb
Sterling
North or Berz #4
32
W
1859-1941
Mound Rd, S of 15 Mile Rd, S/32
The two-room North School, also sometimes called the Berz School consolidated with the Warren Schools in 1941. It was sold in August of 1952. Internet
Macomb
Bruce
Pleasant Knoll #5
- by 1953
Romeo Community Schools. Building moved and converted into a residence by 1953
Macomb
Sterling
Plumbrook #2
W
1927-28
Van Dyke & 17 Mile Rds
Utica Community Schools
Macomb
Shelby
Prestonville #3
1881-
25 Mile Rd & Schoenherr Rd, SE corner
Consolidated to Utica Community Schools. Converted into a private residence
Macomb
Ray
Priest #4
W
1951
31 Mile Rd
In 1951 annexed to Armada Area Schools. Building was sold & demolished
Macomb
Chesterfield
Quick Road #8
New Haven Community Schools
Macomb
Ray
Ray Center #6
New Haven Community Schools
Macomb
Red
NE part of County
Michigan Monthly magazine, June 1995
Macomb
Orange
Red Schoolhouse #2f
W
1850-1872
9 Mile (School Rd) & Gratiot Plank Rds
Served students in Erin & Warren Townships. Sold for $22 to B. Decker. Replaced by Halfway School
Macomb
Richmond
Richards #10f
W
Moved to 32 Mile Rd
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Richmond
Richmond #13f
Richmond Community Schools. Memphis Community Schools
Macomb
Bruce
Romeo
Fractional. MORSA
Macomb
Washington
Romeo
Log
1828
Gideon Gates was the first schoolmaster. Through These Doors 1916-1972
Macomb
Erin
Roseville
Roseville School District
Macomb
Chesterfield
Salt River #4
Anchor Bay School District
Macomb
Schoenherr
Building converted into a residence. MORSA
Macomb
Richmond
School Section #3 or #16
W
1886-1952
31477 School Section Rd or 36045 Park St near Beebe in Richmond, 1 block E of Main St
Exhibit building cost $499.00. Porch added in 1928. Moved into Richmond Park. 1994 State Historic Site 1992. Richmond Community Schools
Macomb
Ray
Seleg #2f
1850's-1920's
Macomb
Bruce
Shady Lawn #7
13091 Ebeling Rd
Residence. Romeo Community Schools. MORSA
Macomb
Washington
Sikes #6
W
1869-1922
65075 Van Dyke Rd at Sikes Corner, Romeo
From 1922-1991 building used for storage. It was then relocated to the Bowerman Farm and restored. It is now a Living History School with tours available. Belongs now to Romeo Community Schools
Macomb
Bruce
Smith #14f
Almont Community Schools. Lapeer County
Macomb
Warren
South
9
1866-
E side of Mound Rd between 12 & 13 Mile Rds, S/9
Gone. Sold to GM Tech Center
Macomb
Shelby
South East Shelby #9f
Utica Community Schools
Macomb
Lake
South Lake #3f
South Lake Schools
Macomb
Harrison
South River #3f
1927
Mt Clemens Rd
L'Anse Creuse Public Schools
Macomb
Macomb
St. Peter Lutheran School
O
Wood
1877
SW Corner 24 Mile Rd & Romeo Plank
Addition added; torn down 1926/27. New red brick school built 1926. Originally it was a one room scoolhouse; later divided to make two rooms. After another school was built in 1962 the red brick saw little use. In 2004 it was remodeled for a youth center, His Rock, which is still used in 2026. (Submitted by Dawn Miller) See photo in Gallery.
Macomb
Armada
Stephens #6
19
McFadden Rd between Armada Center & 34 Mile Rds, S/19
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Sterling
17 Mile and Van Dyke Rds
Macomb
Lenox
Sullivan/Lowell #10
W
-by 2001
28 Mile Rd at Gratiot Rd (M-19)
Vacant in 2001. Now being restored in 2004. New Haven Community Schools
Macomb
Washington
Thorington #3
W
1955
66883 Mound Rd, S of 31 Mile Rd
Thorington original land donor. Vacant. Pot bellied stove in the center of the room. Annexed to Romeo Community Schools
Macomb
Armada
Tibbets #11f
3
Coon Creek & Pratt Rds, S/3
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Macomb
Townline #11f
New Haven Community School
Macomb
Bruce
Townsend #9f
Almont Community Schools. Lapeer County
Macomb
Shelby
Utica #1f
33
S/33
Utica Community Schools
Macomb
Warren
Van Dyke #5
Van Dyke Public Schools
Macomb
Washington
W #7
W
1860's
66885 Mound Rd, S of 29 Mile Rd, Romeo, MI
Vacant. Romeo Community Schools
Macomb
Armada
Ward ck #5
Coon Creek & Armada Rds
Armada Area Schools
Macomb
Ray
Warner/Frog Mtn #8f
W
1900-1945
Was located on Ray Center Rd between 27 & 28 Mile Rds
Named Warner but called Frog Mountain because of all the frogs in the area waters. Consolidated to New Haven Community Schools. Was vacant but later demolished in 1945
Macomb
Washington
Washington #1
B
58230 Van Dyke Rd, Washington, MI 48094
Two-room school. Romeo Community Schools
Macomb
Washington
Washington #1
Log
1824-1839/1859
Stood slightly S of Washington on the W side of the main dirt road just beyond a hollow where a stream flowed
The first teacher was Miss Emmeline Allen for the summer term followed by Isaac Andrus for the winter term. New teachers came and went throughout the following years. Through These Doors 1916-1972
Macomb
Washington
Washington #2f
Log/W
1839
Original location:Opposite Andrus home
The frame school was to replace the deteriorating log school, but in fact the log school continued to be used at least until 1859. Through These Doors 1916-1972
Macomb
Washington
Washington Union #12f
1862
In 1862, Washington was combined with part of Shelby Township and was a fractional school. The Macomb County School superintendent wrote a report about the Union School in 1867 and it was not flattering. He said that Washington was behind the times and the children used old almanacs and small hand sized slates. At the time there were 12 schools in the county, 8,093 students & 134 teachers. Through These Doors 1916-1972
Macomb
Chesterfield
Weller #1
W
late 1880's-1960
Originally at 22 Mile & Gratiot Rds. 47275 Sugarbush Rd
After being a real estate office for many years the building was donated to Chesterfield Township in 1996. The school was moved to the Township grounds and restored. The school planned for an area of historical buildings
Macomb
Warren
West #1f
W/B
1894-1931
Original site: Ryan Rd, SE of Chicago Rd
West #1 burned-down in 1931. A better red brick school was built to the S of the first school also on Ryan Rd and is still standing. Internet
Macomb
Richmond
West #4f
Richmond Community Schools
Macomb
Macomb
Whitney #2
New Haven Community Schools
Macomb
Clinton
William Nickle School
1927-
Quinn Community Area
Red brick. Went up to grade 10
Macomb
Ray
Wolcott Mills #1
W
1863-1953
64255 Wolcott Rd, Ray MI 48096
Sometimes just called Mill School, built as district #1. Built on property owned by Arad Freeman in 1875 and 1895. It was K-8 and used until 1953 when it consolidated with Romeo Distract Schools. The Township used the school for local events and it was also the Ray Township Hall. In 1983 it became the Ray Township Library. Michigan Historical Site. Traveling thru Time p. 280
Macomb
Clinton
Wolfe Road #10
1860's-
15 Mile Rd (Originally called Wolfe Rd) N of Gratiot Rd
Wolfe Road School in Quinn Community. Name may have changed to Santilli Elementary Clintondale Public Schools
Manistee
Arcadia
Arcadia Village #3
10
W
1880-1959
Lake & 3rd Sts
In 1935, Gabel and Swamp Schools consolidated with Arcadia. Arcadia History p. 114. Photos. In 1967, Arcadia consolidated with Onekama Schools. The Arcadia School now houses the 5th and 6th grades of the Onekama School District. Arcadia History p. 116
Manistee
Arcadia
Burnham Village School
3
W
1883-about 1900
Burnham was part of Arcadia's Village as it was only 2 miles N of Arcadia on the shores of Lake Michigan
Around 1895-1900 the Burnham School was moved to Arcadia and placed along side of the Arcadia School. Another teacher was added to the staff and the schools were called the Twin Schools. Next the Burnham School was moved to 3rd St. The building was purchased and is now the Woodman Hall. A few years later it was moved again to the NW corner of Oak and 3rd Sts. It is now a residence. The other two schools were moved to the NW corner of Lake and 4th Sts, and used as stores. It is now a residence. History of Arcadia p. 113. Photos. Arcadia History p. 112
Manistee
Cleon
Carpenter School #1
5
W
1890's-1950's
Carpenter & 11 Mile Rds
Next door to the old school building is an old gym. No telling how long they will be there until razed. Shadow Towns of Michigan p. 42
Manistee
Cleon
Copemish
13
W
by 1900-1963
Copemish is 30 miles S of Traverse City
In 1909 Copemish burned-down. A new two-story school was built on the same site in 1910. A gym was built next door to the school in 1923. Consolidation with Copemish School started in 1922 when Evans, Doneth, Henry, Pleasantview and Croakley Lake consolidated with the Copemish District. In 1947, Reed, Lake Carpenter, Riverside and Pomona joined Copemish District. In 1962 the Copemish District merged with the Benzie Central School District. 1963 was the last graduating class with 357 graduates. School has been used for storage. It will never again be able to be used as a school. Abandoned vol. 1. p. 52-54. As of 1962 the gym is still standing. Shadow Towns of Michigan p. 42
Manistee
Dickson
Dickson H.S.
17
B
1910-1955
Located in Brethren
Originally built as an eight-room, two-story brick school. In 1955 Dickson consolidated with the Norman Schools. Kaleva District also consolidated, but in 1965 Dickson closed leaving the building in limbo for decades. Still standing but abandoned. Hopefully something will be done with the building. Abandoned vol. 1 p. 58-59
Manistee
Norman
Dublin
9
W
late 1898-1940's
Snyder Rd, just N of Dublin Rd
Attended by James Earl Jones. Closed in the 1940's. Interior converted into a summer cabin. Built in 1898
Manistee
Arcadia
Gabel #1
22/27
W
1868-by 1935
NW corner of St Pierre Rd
Location is from Manistee City and County Directory. Consolidated in 1935 with Arcadia School and the students were sent to the Arcadia School.
Manistee
Bear Lake
Johnson
14
W
1890's-1950's
Johnson & Potter Rds
Teacher: Emma Edmondson
Manistee
Maple Grove
Kaleva (1st School)
21
CB
1904-1912
Kaleva Village, Osceola Ave & 9th St
Burned-down in 1912. New school was built. Abandoned vol. 1 p. 42-43
Manistee
Maple Grove
Kaleva (2nd School)
21
B
1914-after 1963
Kaleva Village, Osceola Ave & 9th St
Two-story brick school K-12. First graduating class in 1917. There was some consolidation in 1935. The Dorn School was actually to be moved to the Kaleva H.S. campus. It is thought that Rosie the Riveter graduated from Kalega H.S. in 1940 and left for Detroit. In 1963 Kaleva H.S. consolidated with Norman Dickson School District. Abandoned vol. 1 p. 49
Manistee
Bear Lake
McKnight
22
W
1890's-1950's
McKnight & 13 Mile Rds
Consolidated with Bear Lake and Kaleva Schools. Building is gone
Manistee
Filer
Parkdale #1
2
W
1859-1958
Parkdale Ave & Red Apple Rd
Parkdale, a small town just N of Manistee, in 1956 decided to replace their one-room schoolhouse with a modern brick school for grades K-8, but multi-rooms with even a gym. It sat on 18.5 acres. It was mostly known at the Kennedy Elementary School. It turned out to be a disaster. In 1958 when complete it was a stunning building. The name changed and grades attending changed over the years, but there were many problems with the school and it was shuttered, rotting and abandoned in 2011. The school and it's problems were not worth fixing. Eventually it was torn-down by a company who bought it for the 18.5 acres
Manistee
Onekame
Pierport
7
W
1873-1957
In Pierport on Lake Michigan
Schoolhouse built about 1873. Typical of the times. A one-room schoolhouse with a school bell in the small steeple. Arcadia History p. 119. Photos. p. 121
Manistee
Manistee
Pleasanton
27
W
1875-1957
Pleasanton & Snyder Rds
Pleasanton Grange #557 Schoolhouse served as a church on Sundays. It also served as a polling place, community meeting hall and as a school
Manistee
Manistee
St. Joseph Parish School
30
W/B
1872-1970's
254 6th St, Manistee
On Nov.2, 1897 the school burns. By 1899 a new brick 3 story school for grades K-8 was completed. This now unused school burned in 1978 and was demolished. A parking lot is now where it was. Abandoned vol 1. p. 36
Manistee
Stronach
Stronach
19
W
1871-1964
Stronach Village, Pine & 3rd Sts
The Stronach School closed in 1964 becoming part of the consolidated schools in Manistee. The school building was extensively rebuilt and remodeled into a residence. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 101
Manistee
Arcadia
Swamp #2
22
W
1870-1935
St. Pierre Rd, S of Chamberlain Rd at the bottom of hill
About 50-60 students attended Swamp School and they were referred to as the Swamp Angels. This was one of the richest schools in the district. Arcadia History p. 111. Consolidated in 1935 with Arcadia School. From the Manistee County paper. Now converted into a residence. Teacher: Nettie Christofferson in 1903-1908
Manistee
Maple Grove
Tannersville
30
W
1890's-1940's
Tannersville (rail siding, now ghost town)
Teacher: Nettie Christofferson in 1908-1909
Manistee
Norman
Thorpe
20
Log
1884-1957
Thorpe Rd & Snyder Lake Rd
One of the oldest log buildings in Wellston. Made into a residence. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 102
Manistee
Bear Lake
Warren
31/32
W
1872-1957
8532 Chippewa Hwy (US-31)
Built in the late 1800's. Later it was the Warren Inn which was a restaurant. It is now Old School Antiques
Manistee
Manistee
Woodrow Wilson H.S.
30
W
1885-1927
Old H.S. on the S side of N 4th St
In 1885 a new frame school was built in the village on the NE corner of Lake & 4th Sts. The Manistee County paper dated 1882 wrote it was a frame school. As handsome as the Arcadia School which was erected a few years ago in Arcadia at a cost of $800.00. Central/Woodrow Wilson was modern for its day and was capable of accomodating 60 students. The attendance in 1883 was 28 students and capacity was 60 students. This school became a H.S. in 1913 with the first graduated class in 1914. Arcadia History p. 115
Marquette
Champion
Champion
20
W
1917-1964
Located on M-28/US-41, 20 miles W of Ishpeming
One of the largest towns in the county before 1920. Before 1920, Champion had 2 schools. Now the children of 20 families go to District Schools E on M-28 near Ishpeming. Champion had a High School built in 1917, but it was closed in 1955. The last grade school closed in 1964. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 216
Marquette
Ely
Diorite
14
W
1923-1989
Halfway between Ishpeming & Champion
Two thirds of the Village emptied out after 1922. Only the school was left in the Township. In 1926, Henry Ford fought some of the company houses for the Village of Kingsford which he established in Dickinson County. The last school, the Ely Township School, was closed in 1989. All children went to the Westwood School. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 217
Marquette
Richmond
Goose Lake
32
Log
1886-by 1946
3/4 of a mile W of the original Kiln Farm
After it closed it was used to store hay cut on the Kiln Farm. The schoolhouses cedar logs were taken down and each log marked. It was reconstructed at the present site about 3/4 of a mile W of the original Kiln Farm. It was purchased in 1946. Richmond Centennial p. 30
Marquette
Chocolay
Harvey
5
W
early 1900's-1930
On Lake Superior, shows on US-41. Iron Furnace Town
After the last school closed in the 1930's, the children then went to the Township's Beaver Grove School until 1959, and to Silver Creek Elementary until 2003. The Township today is primarily served by Marquette. The old Harvey School has been converted into the Township offices. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 219
Marquette
Richmond
Kirkland
11
W
1924-1960's
North Richmond Township
Mining location school. Closed
Marquette
Richmond
Kirkpatrick
15
W
1900's-1950's
Kirkpatrick area, Richmond backroads
Construction of the new Kirkpatrick School will serve the Richmond Township School District, which operated 6 District Schools and employs 15 teachers. The school will centralize the operation. Cost of the school will be $75,000 and it will be located across M-35 from the Methodist Church. A High School will be included as presently those Township students are going to H.S. at Negaunee H.S. Richmond Centennial p. 56
Marquette
Skandia
Lawson
22
W
1904-1957
E side of Lawson Rd
Residence. Carl J. Hudson owned about 1968-1973. Contact: Lucy Hudson 602 Collette Ave, Kalamazoo, MI
Marquette
Forsyth
Little Lake
17
W
1879-1950
Commuter Village. 22 miles SE of Marquette on M-35
Served Little Lake community. Closed with Gwinn Area Schools consolidation
Marquette
Michigamme
Michigamme
2
W
1915-1965
Michigamme Village, W Main St
By 1970 the big three-story brick school was vacant. The abandoned K-12 brick school, closed for forty years and sits forlornly on top of the hill. It replaced an earlier school that burned-down in 1923. The grade school closed in 1974. Most of the remaining children attend Republic-Negaunee. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 221
Marquette
Forsyth
New Swanzy
28
W
1900's-1950's
Just E of Gwinn on M-35
There are no schools. The schools have always been available in Gwinn. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 222
Marquette
Salem
Oak Grove
8
W
1878-1957
Oak Grove area, Salem Township
Closed
Marquette
Richmond
Palmer
22
W
1924-1942
M-35 & Simpson Ave
In 1924, the Kirkpatrick School opened 6 District Schools which made up the Richmond Township School system. These were located in Palmer, at Suomi-Midway-Escanaba River Schweitzer area & Goose Lake. Students who went to High School traveled to Negaunee or arranged to stay in Negaunee while school was in session. Richmond Township H.S., Palmer operated from 1928-1942. At that time the H.S. students were bussed to Negaunee H.S. The Kirkpatrick School was torn-down in the 1960's. Pineway was dedicated in 1967 and was 1 of 3 Elementary Schools in the Negaunee system. 8th grade class graduated in 1947. Palmer H.S. Orchestra photo from 1930 p. 62. Richmond Centennial, 1972 p. 21-23
Marquette
Richmond
Pineway
9
W
1892-1957
Pineway siding locality, Richmond Township
Closed
Marquette
Richmond
Red School
18
W
1900's--1923
Rural Richmond countryside
Richmond Centennial p. 57
Marquette
Negaunee
Rolling Mill
27
W
1906-1922/23
Near Negaunee
In operation 1906-1922/23. Building converted into a residence
Marquette
Republic
South Brule
21
W
1911-1957
Ishpeming, MI
Building not in use. MORSA
Marquette
Richmond
Suomi/Midway/Escanaba River
27
W
1904-1927
Suomi is generally alongside M-35 about 3 1/2 miles S of Palmer
About 1904-05 a one-room school was built across from the present Our Savior Lutheran Church. A room was added and the school became a two teacher school. It taught K-8 grades. This school was used until 1927 when Suomi area children were bussed to school at Palmer. Lumber from the old school was used to build a barn. Richmond Centennial p. 21-22
Marquette
Richmond
Syrjamaki/Tenhunen
35
W
1906- & 1912-
Midway area: Two Schools. Near Country Rd & M-35
Syrjamaki School (Started in 1906) and the Tenhunen School (Started in 1912) on the Tenhunen Homestead. Richmond Centennial p. 33
Marquette
Wells
Watson
30
W
1900's-after 1912
In the middle of Gwinn State Forest Area. CR 426 & SI
Mabel Charbonneau: Teacher in 1912. Shadow Towns of Michigan p. 143
Marquette
Richmond
Widberg
29
Log
1900's--1920's
West Branch Escanaba area
These are of West Branch Escanaba area as they had their own district schools, the oldest being the Widberg School. Later there were schools at Cory's Camp, the Nicholas Camp and at Lindfors Farm. The first modern school was located near Victor Heikkilas. These schools operated until the late 1920's when students started to be bussed (Picture of bus p. 60) to the central Kirkpatrick School in Palmer. Richmond Centennial p. 31
Mason
B
1903-1916
Masten & Haeley Rds
McCumber & Locke consolidated soon after the new Locke School was built in 1908. Two-story building. Logan consolidated with Carr. In 1947 Logan & Lake District. 1957 MCCSD
Mason
Amber
Amber #2
Mason
Sheridan
Bachelor #4
1909-1944
Larson & Sugar Grove Rds
Used for storage of hay. Annexed to Custer. 1966, MCCSD. MORSA
Mason
Victory
Banner #2
W
1941
Dennis Rd between Victory Dr & Fountain Rd
Gone. Demolished. Township Unit. 1966, MCCSD
Mason
Sheridan
Beebe/Ford #5
CB
1911-1946
Lake Fountain & Larson Rds
Sporting Club. In 1980 annexed to Custer. 1966, MCCSD. Cost $1,097.00
Mason
Free Soil
Bennett #7f
W
1901-1941
Tuttle, 1/4 mile N of Township line
FTU. In 1956 FCSD #8. Fractional. Consolidated with Free Soil Community Schools. MORSA
Mason
Branch
Branch #4
1944
Branch Rd
Sweetwater Township Unit. 1966, MCESD. MORSA
Mason
Amber
Burnette #2
W
Gone. MORSA
Mason
Riverton
Butler
See West Riverton School
Mason
Pere Marquette
Buttersville #4
W
1921-
Lakeshore Rd
Gone. Demolished. Site of Pere Marquette Lake Michigan & Pere Marquette Lake Township Park. Students attended Sutton, Phillips & Marchido Schools. 1956 Township Unit. Then Pleasant Valley 1966, LASD. In operation in 1921. MORSA
Mason
Grant
Center #7f
1-919
E side Quarterline between Koenig & Treml Rds
Students attended LaSalle & Freeman, then MCCSD. Closed in 1919. MORSA
Mason
Riverton
Center Riverton
1883-1949
Sw corner of Hawley (Haley) & Schwass Rds
Gone. In 1949 Riverton # 2. 1966, MCCSD. From Benita Eddy Hurt
Mason
Victory
Chambers #7f
W
1939
Dennis & Colburn Rds
Part of Victory Township Unit. 1966, MCCSD
Mason
Branch
Comstock #5
1919-1943
Hansen Rd
Hunting cabin. in 1943 Custer School District. 1966, MCESD. MORSA
Mason
Free Soil
Darr #1
W
1866-
Free Soil & Darr Rds (SW)
In operation in 1866 & 1903-1941. MORSA
Mason
Victory
Dewey #8f
30
W
1898-1922
Peterson & Dewey Rds, S/30
Residence. Named for Admiral George Dewey. Closed in 1921-1922. Annexed to Victory Corners. 1939 Victory Township Unit. 1966, MCCS
Mason
Victory
Diamond #3
W
1939
Beyer & Quarterline Rds
Gone. Burned-down in 1944. In 1939 Victory Township Unit. 1966, MCCSD
Mason
Amber
Eagle #8
1891-1947
Gone. Burned-down. Annexed to Ludington Area Schools
Mason
Riverton
East Riverton #1f
1870-
Near Chauvez & Riggle Rds
In operation in 1870 to 1910-1955
Mason
Sherman
Elm Flats #1
30
Log
1867-
2872 N Scottsville Rd (US-31), E side of Rd
Built in 1876 in Elm Flats, later moved to US-31. Owner: Don Renwick, Schoolhouse Antiques Standard School. Tower and bell
Mason
Summit
Fairview #1
W
1861-1944
Lakeshore Rd facing Olmstead Rd
Residence. In 1939 part of Summit Township Unit. In 1944 students went to French & Nickerson South Summit LASD. 1966 - 1861-1944. MORSA
Mason
Grant
Feeman
-1966
Closed in 1966. Building converted into a residence. MORSA
Mason
Eden
Fern #3
Custer & Sippy Rds
MORSA
Mason
Sheridan
Ford Lake
MORSA
Mason
Sherman
Fountain #7
Log
1853-
Main & Fountain Sts
MORSA
Mason
Grant
Freeman #1/Old Freesoli #2
Log
1870-
Old Freesoil Rd was located at the mouth of Gurney Creek. Also stated on the SW corner of Freeman & Quarterline Rds
It is now part of Grant Township. First school was in 1870 in a log building on the Ritter Farm. School Discussion #2. Benita Eddy Hurd collection
Mason
Summit
French #3
W
1879-1913
Hawley Rd & US-31 (SW)
Gone. Burned-down
Mason
Branch
Grass Lake #3f
1922
Barothy Rd, E of Walhalla Rd
Gone. Closed in 1921-1922. Annexed to Walhalla. MORSA
Mason
Hamlin
Hamlin #1
W
1895-
Decker & Lincoln Rds
In 1954 eight-room building. In 1955 to LASD. In use in 1980
Mason
Sheridan
Holmes #1
Log
1867-
Dewey & Benson Rds
1876-1943. MORSA
Mason
Meade
Howell #1
Freesoil Rd near Larson Rd
Gone. 1919 Township Unit. In 1941 annexed to Freesoil. In 1966 name changed
Mason
Free Soil
Hyde #4
1881-1919
Hogue & Custer Rds
Gone. In operation in 1881 & 1919. MORSA
Mason
Eden
Jenks #4
B
1906-1951
Custer & Kinny Rds
Custer School District. MCESD. MORSA

2026 The Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association

bottom of page