top of page

THE MICHIGAN ONE ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE ASSOCIATION
School | Township | County | Year | Location | Use | BM | Notes |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Beaver Zion Lutheran School | Beaver | Bay | 1865-1946 | Seidler & 11 Mile Rds | 21 | W | In 1885 a church was completed that also served as a school. In 1904 a new church was built and the old church became the school. Enrollment steadily increased. In 1916 a new brick school was dedicated to accommodate the students residing 4-6 miles S of Zion School. On April 6, 1917 the United States entered WWI and 28 young men, once students of Zion, were in the U.S. military forces. None lost their lives. Both German and English were used at school. In 1949 a new Zion School was built to replace the old North and South schools. Bever School annexed to Bay city Schools and Beaver school was auctioned off. Bay Co p. 107 |
Amelith #2 | Frankenlust | Bay | 1890-1958 | 3 miles SW of the Frankenlust settlement at 1851 E of Mackinaw & Amelith Rds | 8 | W | A Lutheran Church and Amelith Public School #2 (a 2nd #2) were next to each other and students attended both for different subjects. This ceased in 1900. A brand new school for St. John Lutheran School-Amelith was completed in 2006. The construction doubles the size of the Frankenlust Township School. Bay Co p. 247 |
Brissette #5 | Kawkawlin | Bay | 1879-1956 | Brissette by M-13 & Parish Rd in 1949 | 11 | W | Brissette was a small, white wooden two-room school. In 1949/50 it moved to a new school now the Bay Area Health Center for Handicapped. Bay Intermediate Schools Supplies were meager. There was no school library, but the students did have textbooks. Music was taught by voice. In 1958/59 there were 169 students enrolled. Bay Co p. 129 |
Lone Star #5 | Pinconning | Bay | 1902-1956 | NW corner of Neuman & 7 Mile Rds | 31 | W | One-room wooden-frame school facing Neuman Rd. In the 1920's a 2nd classroom was added. Annexed to Pinconning Area Schools in 1956. County Schools of Bay County p. 212 |
Fraser/Kitchen #5 | Fraser | Bay | by 1900-1956 | Kitchen Rd between Fraser & 7 Mile Rds | 5 | W/B | Originally there was a one-room schoolhouse. Enrollment increased rapidly. By the early 1930's there were over 70 children in the small schoolroom. It was then decided to build a brick, two-room school. When Fraser Township Schools merged with Pinconning it became the home of migrant workers. It is now used for storage and as a recycling center. Bay Co p. 236 |
Warren #8 | Williams | Bay | 1941-1956-1998 | Off 7 Mile Rd, 1/2 mile E on the N side of Townline Rd | 38 | W | In 1941, Warren was a one-room school, but in 1942-43 it became a two-room with 2 teachers and an addition of a kitchen was added for hot lunches. In 1962 the school was dissolved and became part of the new school in Kawkawlin Township (the Ben Franklin School). The children from Bedell, Warren, Town Hall and were bussed to Kawkawlin |
LeFevre #4 | Williams | Bay | 1870-1963 | W side of Flajole Rd, 1/2 mile S of Wheeler Rd | 8 | B | In 1886 a frame school was built, with an addition added in 1896. A red brick building was erected in 1907. There were two teachers in 1954. First they annexed to Forest School and then it appears they annexed to Bay City, and the school property was purchased from Bay City. The building was used as a preschool for about 2 years and then sold in 1961 for $2,000. It is still standing but abandoned Bay Co Schools p. 31 |
Mount Vernon #4 | Bangor | Bay | 1906-1953 | Bangor & Wheeler Rds | 9 | CB | A two-room cement brick schoolhouse was built in 1906. In 1909, #4 had 76 students. 8th grades were in these two-rooms. There were 65 children and 2 teachers. After additions it had 4 teachers, four-rooms, a basement and a lunch program. (Vertical Files Bay Area Library) County Schools of Bay Co p. 55 |
French Town #4 | Pinconning | Bay | 1890-1956 | Cody/Estey Rd, W of Mackinaw Rd | 16 | W | Another typical one-room, white-framed schoolhouse is located on the N side of Cody-Estey Rd, just W of Mackinaw Rd. All Pinconning rural schools were consolidated with the Pinconning Area School System in 1956. The schoolhouse was sold and first used for Mexican migrant workers. Later it was restored as a typical one-room schoolhouse and also utilized as an office for the Richard Narcos Company, Pinconning Metals. It is located just across the road from the first old school |
Willard #1 (later #5) | Beaver | Bay | 1872-1963 | SW corner of Beaver & 11 Mile Rds, 6 1/2 miles N of Auburn | 33 | W | Originally #1 as it was the first school built in Beaver Township in 1872. In 1885 the school was on 11 Mile Rd. In 1884 Willard #1 became Willard #5. (see below) In 1887 ten maple trees were planted as a boundary around the school acre. 4 are still alive today. The Willard School was sold and moved to a farm on Townline Rd in 1968. It was used as a machine shed. The bell in the Willard School belfry was placed in the belfry of the Beaver Zion Church. Bay Co p. 92. Beaver Township re-numbered and re-names their schools as follows: Oxbow #1, Cherry #2, Duel #3, McKeith #4, Willard #5 & Seidler #6 |
West Crump #5 | Garfield | Bay | 1880-1956 | SW Anderson Rd, 1 mile W of Garfield Rd facing Anderson Rd | 28 | B | A red brick school replaced the first wooden school building in Garfield District #5. The first building was from the early 1880's. After consolidation in 1956 with Pinconning Schools, West Crump became the home of a religious group called Daniel Band. The building is now demolished. Bay Co p. 262 |
Arn/Arn Station #5 | Merritt | Bay | 1880-1962 | Located about 1/4 of a mile from the Arn Station on the Michigan Central RR line from Detroit to Bay City. It faces W on Nolet Rd, near Kenny Rd | 34 | W | Built on one acre of donated land, a 2nd room was added in 1917 to the schoolhouse. Then the building burned in 1942. It was rebuilt as a one-room school, but within a year a 2nd room was added. In 1958 there were 42 students enrolled at Arn School. Arn School consolidated with the Reese School in Tuscola County in 1962. A family purchased the schoolhouse and remodeled it into a residence. Bay Co p. 175 |
Essexville #3 | Hampton | Bay | 1870-1957 | Log school erected on E side of Essexville. Replaced by a brick school at same site | 13 | Log/B/B | Originally the students in Essexville #3 attended a log school. Essexville became a city in 1934. The log school burned-down in 1879 and a two story brick school replaced it on the site was called Union school. In 1927 the two-room brick school was over crowded and was replaced and named Hughes School. Additions and renovations have been made and it is now a part of Essexville School District. In 1962 Essexville-Hampton created their own school district. They educated their students from grades K thru 8th grade. Country Schools of Bay Co p. 6 |
Bradford/South Williams School #1 | Williams | Bay | 1856-1962 | Corner of Charles Bradford Farm, near Auburn on 9 Mile Rd | 26 | Log/W | The first school was known as LaLonde School, but later was named Bertie. In 1909 a cement block schoolhouse was constructed where students could complete the 10th grade of H.S. To finish H.S. students could go to Pinconning or elsewhere. Bertie closed in 1956 when the district consolidated with Pinconning. It was used as a migrant camp for a number of years and then boarded up. As of 2010 it was still boarded up and seems abandoned with a for sale sign on the building. Bay Co p. 282 |
Oxbow #1 | Beaver | Bay | by 1895-1956/63 | W side of 9 Mile Rd where Boutell Rd ends | 12 | W | The first school at this site was a one-room frame school facing E on 9 Mile Rd. As Polish pioneers settled in the area another room was added on the N side. Oxbow School was a two-room wooden-frame school. Before 1900 it was known as Harrison and in time was changed to Oxbow for it's unique location on High and at the N branch of the Kawkawlin river. In 1958 there were 28 students enrolled. Annexed to Bay City Schools. Ater closing as a school 10 years ago it was then sold and used as a migrant clothing center. Later auctioned off for $2700. Bay Co p. 79 |
State Road/State Road Crossing #1 | Fraser | Bay | 1884-1956 | Erikson Rd, 1/2 mile E of M-13 | 11 | W | This one-room school had to have a 2nd room added as enrollment increased in the 1920's. After the school was annexed to the Pinconning Area School system in 1956 the building was converted into a residence. Bay Co p. 220 |
Weldon #3 | Weldon | Benzie | Pioneer & Landus Rds | 16 near | Only foundation left | ||
Buchanan | Inland | Benzie | 11 | ||||
Wollin #3 | Colfax | Benzie | Wallin Rd E of Thompsonville Rd | 9 | |||
Fredrickson #4 | Blaine | Benzie | 1891-1964 | Moved and used until 1964 at which time it closed and became a summer home On M-22 Frankfort | 16 or 13 | B | The brick school moved in 1906 to its current location. It closed in 1964. Used as a private retreat for 50 years, but purchased in 2021 and totally remodeled into a One-room school bed and breakfast with many original school items such as the wood floor boards, slate chalkboards, etc. |
Champion Hill | Weldon | Benzie | Homestead Rd | 17 | W | The school inspectors report for Weldon in 1883 lists 2 school districts with 25 students & 2 frame schoolhouses | |
David Grayson #1 | Homestead | Benzie | 1864 | 1014 Pioneer & Homestead Rds | 33 | W | Source: Murlyn Vollink, 257 Brook St, Box 203, Saugatuck, MI. A summer guest house, Owned by Dolly Maasgard (2000) |
Conley #4 | Benzonia | Benzie | Hammen & Ayleworth Rds | ? | |||
Cooley | Benzonia | Benzie | 36 | ||||
Green Briar | Almira | Benzie | Cedar Run Rd, 1/2 mile E of Reynolds Rd | 2 | Residence. Contact: James Morse, 231-275-7826, Helen White, 231-275-7804, Vera Carmein, 231-275-7362, Elsie Bryan, 231-275-7551 | ||
Griner | Colfax | Benzie | 26 | ||||
Merring Lake | Blaine | Benzie | 18 | ||||
Lake Ann | Almira | Benzie | -late 1920's | On top of hill on Maple St, just E of the Village Property | 23 | W | Gone in 1928. Torn-down around 1930, the lumber was used to built the Almira Township Hall. Site now occupied by Jim and Pat Morse. It is now a residence. Contact: James Morse, 231-275-7826, Helen White, 231-275-7804, Vera Carmein, 231-275-7362, or Elsie Bryan, 231-275-7551. School and most of village burned-down in 1897. Rebuilt then torn-down in the 1950's. Lumber from the school was used to build Town Hall. Now has a new Elementary School that is part of the Benzie District Schools. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 27 |
Elm Grove | Inland | Benzie | 5 | ||||
Consolidated School | New Buffalo | Benzie | 1949 | New Buffalo Elementary: 12291 Lubke Rd, New Buffalo (present location) | Boasted seven sets of twins in 1949. Nice photo with names. Other sports photos | ||
Almira Lake | Almira | Benzie | 16 | ||||
Thomas A. Edison #2 | Benzonia | Benzie | Corner of CR 669 & CR 610 | ||||
Putney #2 | Blaine | Benzie | 1912-1963 | 29 | |||
Nessen | Colfax | Benzie | 1892- | 34 | Was a two-story building, 2nd story removed during the depression. The thought was that these schools would be large enough for years to come. By 1939, an Elementary wing was added to the High School and in 1954 band & shop rooms also were constructed. By 1957, there were over 1,000 students in attendance at schools that had been designed for 550 students. In 1959, a new twelve-room Elementary School on W Detroit St, and six-rooms plus a cafeteria were added to the Central School. Again they soon ran out of room. In 1973 an addition to the W Elementary School was completed. There are 2 parochial schools in New Buffalo | ||
Corner Grove #1 | Gilmore | Benzie | M-22 & Grace Rd across from Cemetery | 2 | Extant, Residence. Gilmore Cemetery is across Grace Rd | ||
Bendon | Inland | Benzie | 1888- | Lake Ann Rd, E side of US-31 | 23 | W | |
Morgan #1 | Platte | Benzie | 1894-1994 | At Esch & Indian Hill Rds in Honor Michigan | 7 | Log/W | Traverse City Record Eagle 6/23/1994 short article on the school |
Drake #2 | Platte | Benzie | 1892-1943 | Intersection of Fowler & Valley Rds, BENZONIA, MI 49616 | 16 | W | When built in 1879 it was called the Gretchall School. In 1906 the name changed to The Drake School after the new farmer. In 1988 the Benzie Historical Society opened the school as a Museum showing how a One-room school would look |
Amidon | Bendozia | Benzie | US-31 & Honor Rd | 28 | Contact: Frank Hurlbut, South Haven, attended 1921-26. Teachers included Grace Garrett, 1921-22, Carrie Wressel, 1922, & Leon Scharman, 1923 | ||
Edgewater | Benzonia | Benzie | 1888-1928 | Overlooks the 2 Platte Lakes | 27 | ||
Watervale #7 | Blaine | Benzie | -1892 | Moved about 1 mile to its current location on M-22 It replaced the smaller Fredrickson #4. | 13 | Moved in 1906 to its current location, but still in Watervale. Converted into a 3 bed, 2 bath UP North retreat. On one acre. Borders Upper Herring Lake Nature Preserve | |
Carter | Inland | Benzie | 19 | ||||
Consolidated School | New Buffalo | Benzie | 1949 | New Buffalo Area School District 1112 E Clay St, New Buffalo (Present location) (HS and MS) | The thought was that these schools would be large enough for years to come. However, by 1939 an Elementary wing was added to the High School and in 1954 Band & Shop rooms also were constructed. By 1957 there were over 1,000 students in attendance at schools that had been designed for 550 students. In 1959, a new 12 room Elementary School on W Detroit St, and 6 rooms plus a cafeteria were added to the Central School. Again they soon ran out of room. In 1973 an addition to the W Elementary School was completed. There are 2 parochial schools in New Buffalo | ||
Wood | Blaine | Benzie | 31 | ||||
Wallaker #4 | Benzonia | Benzie | 1877-1894 | 845 Michigan Ave, Benzonia, MI 49616 | 33 | W | Business, Retail Sales |
Grace #12 | Benzonia | Benzie | Corner of Grace & Forrester Rds, Benzonia | 31 | Wrote for info. 3/6/97, Pauline Baver | ||
Pleasant Grove | Inland | Benzie | 1 | ||||
Weldon #2 | Weldon | Benzie | 18 | First teacher: Miss Nellie Judson, Benzie County Museum | |||
Rust | Inland | Benzie | 31 | ||||
Frost Corners | Benzonia | Benzie | 2-3 miles E of Portland Rd | ||||
West Almira | Almira | Benzie | -1963 | Corner of CR 669 & Almira Rd | 17 near | Closed in 1963. Used as a residence. Contact: James Morse, 231-275-7826, Helen White, 231-275-7804, Vera Carmein, 231-275-7362, Elsie Bryan, 231-275-7551 | |
Inland #1 | Inland | Benzie | US-31 at Island Corners near Bendon | 12 | W | Source: Frank Hurlbut, 67663 CR 388 No. 17, South Haven, MI, who was a student (1924-26) Teacher: Cora Bernice Sears: Frank born 2 miles S of Bendon Village. Student: Leonard Amidon, resident of Interlocken, MI. Bendon is now a ghost town | |
Ward | Crystal Lake | Benzie | M-115 near Lobb Rd | 24 near | |||
Grace | Gilmore | Benzie | 1892- | 31 | |||
Edgar A. Guest #4 | Joyfield | Benzie | 13 | See Wallaker School #4 | |||
Liberty Union #2 | Benzonia | Benzie | Marshall & Narrow Gauge Rds | 30 | Benzie County Historical Society | ||
Champion | Benzonia | Benzie | 1893- | Marshall Rd | 30 near | Built in 1893 | |
Oliver Holmes | Joyfield | Benzie | 16 | ||||
Joy | Joyfield | Benzie | 27 | ||||
Thompsonville | Weldon | Benzie | Before 1900- by 1960's | Village on southern border of Benzie County, 1 mile N of M-115 (part of Village in Colfax Township) | 36 | About 1895, Thompsonville merged with Beecher. The town had two schools with 300 students by 1900. By the 1960's some children were going to privately operated Thompsonville Ag School (started 1925) until it burned-down in 1991. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 29 | |
Cement/Forrest #4 | Almira | Benzie | 1878-1901 | Hwy 669 & Hooker Rd | 29 near | CB | |
McKinstry | Blaine | Benzie | 1875- | 3760 Mick Rd, Frankfort, MI 49635 | 17 near | Built in 1875. Sat up on a hill. Now a Bed/Breakfast | |
Howard | Blaine | Benzie | 26 | ||||
Ernest T. Seaton | Inland | Benzie | 16 | ||||
Eden #3 | Benzonia | Benzie | Worden & Hill Rds | 13 | Source: Murlyn Vollink, 257 Brook St, Saugatuck, MI | ||
Demerley #3 | Joyfield | Benzie | Demerly Rd W of US-31 | 11 near | Residence. Connection with Oliver Wendell Holmes | ||
Pine Grove | Inland | Benzie | Near Bendon | 23 near | W | ||
Franklin School | Joyfield | Benzie | Wallaker Rd, E of US-31 | 25 | Edgar A. A guest has some connection with the school | ||
Chadwick Elem #1 | Sodus | Berrien | by 1865- | 4100 Watson Rd | Clip in H-P 4/15/96. Records at Sodus Library include minutes of meetings, teacher record books & contracts, 1865 | ||
Bronson #12 | Bertrand | Berrien | Mentioned in newspapers. Alta (Wright) Tormey taught there in 1900, a total of two years. Contact: Karyl Mattix, Kalamazoo (Alta's granddaughter) | ||||
Ingraham #4 | Coloma | Berrien | 1958 | 6514 Coloma N Rd, Corner of Coloma N & Hagar Shore Rds | 6? | This two-room school was 1 of 10 rural schools that annexed to Coloma Community Schools in the late 1950's. As of 2003 Still standing On Hagar Shore Rd and Coloma Rd. North Berrien Internet Information, Part 1 | |
Eamon #4 | Hagar | Berrien | 1854-by 1958 | Between 1724 & 1749 Maple Lane Rd just E of Earman Rd, Hagar Station, Hagar Township | Log | Built in 1854 of logs. Beyond Shingle Diggins Miss Una Hower teacher in 108 Old Time School Internet | |
Bell #2 also known as Barnhardt? | Niles | Berrien | No info | ||||
Watervliet #2 | Watervliet | Berrien | |||||
Curtis #2 | Hagar | Berrien | 1846-1928 | Kerlikowske Rd | Original school burned in 1860's. It was replaced. Closed in 1928. 1 of 10 rural schools that annexed to Coloma Community Schools about 1958. North Berrien Internet Information, Part 1. Later used as a Community Social Center. Old Time School Internet | ||
Hollywood #6f | Royalton | Berrien | 189_ | N Hollywood Rd | W | Plan from School, Architecture Bulletin 19__61st Annual Report 1897, State Supt. See source in March 1946 newspaper. | |
Gard #1 | St Joseph Village | Berrien | Hilltop Rd & Cleveland Ave | Gone. H-P Clip April, 1995. Gard District. No longer standing | |||
Pucker #20f | Berrien | Berrien | 1849-1963 | SW corner of Ludwell Robertson's meadow on the same Rd | 35 | Log/W | One teacher. Log school originally called Washington School. A new school was built across the road and name probably changed to Pucker #20f. . At some point the newer school was dismantled and became the site for the building of a new residence |
Tryon #2 | Royalton | Berrien | 1840 | Corner of John Beers & Scottsdale Rds | Log | Built in 1840. Now used as Township Hall/Community Center. Available for rent. Seems to have been located in two different Townships | |
Select | Watervliet | Berrien | Opened 1849/51 | Charles Bostwick started the school and then sold it. Later it was turned into a tavern by Moses Sargent. The tavern was named The Osgood House. Old time Schools. Internet | |||
Riverside/Hagar #3 or #6 | Hagar | Berrien | 1861- | Originally on St. Joseph Rd (Now Riverside) | 36 | Log? | The organization meeting in 1861 for Riverside/Hagar may have been held in the Eamons School. Mary Jane McCary was the first teacher and held a 26 week school year. She received $2.00 per week. School began in November and ran for 4 months, and then a month break, and then resumed. Jan. 1994 article in H-P. Operating. Was a K-8 school |
Farry-Eureka #1 | Hills Corner | Berrien | 1871-1966 | Thomas/Frances Farry, 6943 Bailey Rd, Eau Claire, MI | B | Contact: Thomas/Frances Farry, 6943 Bailey Rd, Eau Claire, MI 49111. 1871-1966, not used, MORSA. Also known as Eureka School | |
Waldron #7 | Galien | Berrien | NW corner of Olive Branch & Rickerman Rds | 16 | |||
Hinchman #2 | Oronoko | Berrien | 1889-1957 | 1286 E Hinchman Rd at Scottsdale, Berrien Springs | B | Not in use. Good condition, two-rooms. State Historic Site 1979 | |
Shingle Diggins | Watervliet | Berrien | 1837-1838 | NW of Coloma & Hartford Rds | Log | Appears to be first school in Township. and given them by F. W. Deacon who built the school. Beyond Shingle Diggin's September 16, 1998 See A 20t ctr history of Berrien County page 229. Mary Youngs teacher | |
Galien #5f | Galien | Berrien | Village | Six teachers. Township Unit 1925-26 | |||
Eureka #1 | Pipestone | Berrien | Corner of Preston and Old Pipestone Road | See Farry School. In 1965 annexed to Berrien Springs. Now a private residence | |||
Three Oaks #1 | Three Oaks | Berrien | 1852/54 | Original school may have been held in the home of W. H. Hinkley. Later Corner of Elm and Ash Streets. | Built in early 1850's and a newer school built and then added onto in 1877 and 1896. It was a High School Building in 1906. The High School burned 1-3-1919. A new school was built in 1921 and additions made in the following years. First teacher was Miss Goodrich. Also Lottie Heard of Niles taught 1854/55. Old Time Schools. Internet | ||
Forrest Hill #9 | Bertrand | Berrien | One teacher | ||||
Hand #3 | Berrien | Berrien | 1864-1956 | Range Line Rd & Lake Chapin Rd intersection | 25 | W/Log | Hand School was a wood-frame school with a basement, cloak room, and it had a 14 ft ceiling. It taught K-8th grades. Later students who needed 7th or 8th grade went to Niles or Berrien Springs depending on transportation. After closing, it was renovated with logs for a log home Had a basement and cloak room. Closed in mid 1950's due to consolidation. Remodeled and now a residence Sharing Memories p. 35-42 |
Brick #13f | Niles | Berrien | No info | ||||
Marshall #3 | Buchanan | Berrien | Corner of Wagner & Broceus Rds | One teacher. See Broceus School | |||
Stewart #2f | Lincoln | Berrien | 181-closed about 1957 | Lake Shore Drive and Glenlord Road | Steward was closed about 1957 when a New Stewart School was built. Old Time Schools Internet | ||
Beaver Dam #3 | Galien | Berrien | |||||
Dickerville | Coloma | Berrien | 1859 | 29 | Dickerville became the Village of Coloma in 1859. Men had gone to the gold rush out west but we're coming back. In the 1850's in Dickerville as a school where the parents paid to send their children (subscription school). Then in 1865 after the Dickerville name change tether was a One-Room frame building that replaced the first log building | ||
Olive Branch/South #7 | Galien | Berrien | Known as South and Olive Branch School | ||||
North Division | Albion & Sheridan | Berrien | |||||
Red Brick #4 | Red Brick | Berrien | 1710 Friday Rd, at Hill Rd, 2 miles S of Coloma | 5 | See Brick School | ||
Bainbridge #2f | Bainbridge | Berrien | 1888-1967 | 5004 Red Run Rd, Marcellus, MI 49067 | 16 | Township Hall Leslie Melville, 5004, Red Run Rd, Marcellus, MI 49067, Ph: 646-9884 property sold to Bainbridge Township and used for Town Hall (now Two-rooms) District #2, Fractional. Two Teachers | |
Charlottesville | Lake | Berrien | Lake St between Red Arrow & RR | MORSA |
bottom of page