top of page
School
Township
County
Year
Location
Use
BM
Notes
Wilcox #2
Rutland
Barry
1847-1934
Upton near Whitmore Rd, S/8
8
W
Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Residence
North Star #9
Prairieville
Barry
1859-1898
Osborne Rd, S of Parker Rd
14
W
Gone. MORSA
Powers #1
Irving
Barry
1858-1931
State & Solomon Rds, S/33
33
W
Gone. Burned-down. School moved to Wayland, MI. Privately owned. MORSA
Pendill #1f
Prairieville
Barry
1859-1930
M-43 S of Hickory Rd
25
W
Gone. Burned-down
Beige #8
Maple Grove
Barry
1873-1945
S/12
12
W
Barry County, Michigan, History. Now privately owned
Pratt #9
Hastings
Barry
1869-1938
River Rd, S/26
26
W
Privately owned. MORSA
Branch #7f
Maple Grove
Barry
1858-1945
Barryville & Bivens Rds
7
W
Fractional. Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Privately owned
Carlton Center Seventh Day Adventist #12
Carlton
Barry
1910-1946
Carlton Center Rd
16
W
Small building near the Carlton Center Seventh Day Adventist Church. Started about 1890. Closed in 1938. Building was sold and moved. Another source indicates years of operation was 1910-1946 and it is now a residence
Duncan Lake #4
Thornapple
Barry
1849-1931
Duncan Lake & Parmalee Rds, S/5
5
W
MORSA.
Moe #1
Yankee Springs
Barry
1858-1933
Originally at the corner of Moe & Parmalee Rds near Middleville
12
W
Oldest one room schoolhouse in Barry County In the 1980's it was sitting dormant. It had not been used in quite some time and was deteriorating rapidly. It was purchased by a former teacher for $1. Before it could be moved much work had to be done. Eventually in 1988 it was moved to the Historic Bowens Mills in Middleville. The school is open for classes, meetings and even dinners
Falk #2
Orangeville
Barry
1859-1940
Norris Rd, N of Hayward Rd, S/26
26
W
Burned/Arson. MORSA
Jones #4f
Irving
Barry
1873-1944
Sisson & Hammond Rds, S/11
11
W
Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Fractional
Ryan #5
Irving
Barry
1854-1938
S/25
25
W
MORSA
Bowler/Regla or Ragla #12
Carlton
Barry
1881-1914
Just E of Andrus Rd on S side of Bowler Rd
27
W
Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Formed May 17, 1881. Destroyed by cyclone/fire in 1904. May be in S/25. Also known as Ragla School. Privately owned
South Pine Lake #4f
Prairieville
Barry
1859-1949
4 Mile Rd near Pine Lake
7
W
Mary Kaiser: 6 Pupils. Fractional. Residence
Leach/Welcome Corners #6f
Carlton
Barry
1890-1953
N Broadway Rd
8
W
Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Originally called Leach School. Used until 1953 when a two-room school was built. Residence. Fractional
Oak Grove/Hogeye #7f
Orangeville
Barry
1870-1911
McKibben Rd, S/12
12
W
Fractional. Gone. Also known as Hogeye School. MORSA
Edger #6
Rutland
Barry
1858-1955
Near Irving Rd, S/16
16
W
Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Residence
Parker #3f
Johnstown
Barry
1858-1936
Groat & Banfield Rds, S/7
7
W
Fractional. MORSA
Otis #5f
Rutland
Barry
1870-1937
Otis Lake & Goodwill Rds
31
W
Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Fractional. Privately owned
Lee #7
Woodland
Barry
1869-1923
Martin & Carlton Center Rd, S/17. M-43 2545 Charlton Park Rd, Hastings, MI www.charltonpark.org
17
W
Museum DORS moved in the 1973 to 2545 Charlton Park Rd, Hastings Historic Carlton Park operated by Barry County Park & Recreation Commission. Consolidated with Woodland School in 1923 then used for grain storage. Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Built in 1867. Taught K-8
Sprague #8
Hope
Barry
1870-1889
Head Rd, S/17
17
W
MORSA
Star #7
Hastings
Barry
1858-1963
Star School Rd & M-37, S/29
28/29
B
Torn-down in 1969. Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. Another source gives location as S/29
Fisher #3
Hastings
Barry
1858-1961
E State & Fisher Rds
11
W
Barry County, Michigan, History, 1985. In poor condition. Looks abandoned in 2024. Formerly a private residence and then was vacant for about 20 years according to a neighbor. Seemed to be little hope for the building. The school at East State and Fisher Rds had been renovated and made into a cozy country cottage. We are so thrilled that someone took it upon themselves to save this historical school. Whoever you are Thank you
Parmelee #6
Thornapple
Barry
1857-1931
Parmalee & Stimpson Rds, S/3
3
W
Gone. MORSA
Benjamin Franklin #8
Kawkawlin
Bay
1868-1952
On Beaver Rd near the intersection of Beaver & 8 Mile Rds
31
B
In 1962 Kawkawlin had a new school, the Benjamin Franklin K-6. Other rural schools closed and sent their elementary students to this new school. Warren, Ott, Bedell and later Town Hall. The students were bussed to Ben Franklin from those rural schools. Bay Co p. 137
Trinity St James E. Lutheran School
Merritt
Bay
1884-1938 & 1956-1998
Knight Rd near Beyer Farms
8
B
After 1883 it was decided to build a church and a school in this area. The school opened in 1884. The school was painted in 1892 and improvements were added such as globes, flags, books, benches, a heating system and a new foundation. In 1911 an addition was built. The first year of the school it was taught in German. The school closed in 1938. In 1956 another school was built to go from 1-9th grades. Playground equipment was purchased from the closed Munger School. The school closed and was sold in September, 1998. Bay Co p. 195
St Bartholomew Lutheran School
Kawkawlin
Bay
1884-1948
1033 E Beaver Rd, Kawkawlin, MI
28
B
Planned in 1889, but not built until 1902, the school could accommodate about 23 students. Enrollment continued to grow each year. In 2024 it served 72 students in Grades PK-8. Eventually St. Bartholomew was torn-down, but a new private school called Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod had been built which the students attended
John Adams
Beaver
Bay
1871-1959
Garfield Rd near River Rd
12
B
After the 5 Beaver Township schools had consolidated with Bay City Schools, Bay City built a new Elementary School for all of the children from all 5 schools to attend all together along with their 5 teachers. It opened in 1963. It was John Adams School. County Schools of Bay Co p. 105
Chip Road #5
Monitor
Bay
1890-1963
NW corner of S/34
3
B
The red brick two-room schoolhouse started before 1894. After consolidation with Bay City Schools in 1963, it was used as a field office for the construction of I-75. After I-7 was completed the school auctioned off by the school. It was turned into a residence. Bay Co p. 157
Trinity Lutheran School
Monitor
Bay
1880-current
Salzber Rd between 7 & 8 Mile Rds
31
W
Around 1880 a wooden-frame school for 10 students was erected. Enrollment reached 50 students by 1889. For the students W of the church in 1902 they built the West School as a one-room schoolhouse. The old wooden church was torn-down in 1904. The lumber was used to built the East School. In 1952 a new Central School was built. It had 5 classrooms, a library, school office, toilet facilities, kitchen, and a remodeled Parish Hall. There were 5 teachers. In 2002 there were 128 students enrolled
Nevins #6
Hampton
Bay
by 1862-1956/57
Originally on NE corner of Hotchkiss & 7 Mile Rds. Youngs Ditch Rd, facing Farley Rd
27
W
A school near Nevias #6 had burned-down, so a brick two-room schoolhouse was built to replace it. In 1957 Nevias annexed to the Bay City School System. The teacher in 1942 was conscripted for war duty. The first (burned) school building was purchased and converted into a car repair garage. County Schools of Bay Co p. 15
Duel #3
Beaver
Bay
1875-1956
Flajole Rd, 1/2 mile N of Parish Rd
7
W
Duel was originally #4 in S/20. In 1891 plans were made to built a new schoolhouse and Duel was changed to District #3. In 1958 there were 18 students enrolled. After the 6 schools in Beaver Township voted to annex to Bay City Schools, Beaver Township sold the schoolhouse, which was converted into a residence. Bay Co p. 83
Nine Mile #1
Mount Forest
Bay
1890-1956
Intersection of 9 Mile & Cody-Estey Rds
13
W
Nine Mile School was a two-room white frame building. The Michigan Central Gladwin line, running from Pinconning had a train stop at the school's location. The station was first known as East St. John and later as Nine Mile Station and Nine Mile School. Annexed to Pinconning Area Schools in 1956. Still standing, but boarded up. Bay Co p. 279
Kingsville #4
Fraser
Bay
by 1895-by 1958
N of Linwood, 1 mile on Elevator or Tower Rd at the end of Anderson Rd
35
W
Two-room school, white framed. After merging with Fraser Township schools it was boarded up for a time. Then it was purchased and a home was constructed using part of the school building. County Schools of Bay Co. p. 233
Payne #4
Gibson
Bay
1890-1942
S/14 on Township of Gibson map
14
W
Payne School closed in the 1940's. It was in S/14 on the Township map. Possibly annexed to Bay Area Schools
Hugo #4
Hampton
Bay
1873-1957
E Borton Rd between Finn & Farley Rds
21
W/CB
Hugo #4 was a two-room, white-framed school. Originally called Prairie School the name was changed to Hugo. Additions were added to the building, but in 1957 it was annexed to Essexville-Hampton and the land and building were sold. Part of the school became a garage and the rest was demolished. The Hugo School Bell is on display at Pine St in Essexville, where it stands as a memorial to the rural schools. Bay Co p. 7
Townline #5
Portsmouth
Bay
1880-1957
Cass Ave, 1/4 mile off Knight Rd to the W
6
W/B
The first schoolhouse built for Portsmouth #5 was Townline School. It was a small wood-frame building. It was moved to make room for the new brick school built in 1912. A two-room, red brick school was the 2nd building on this site. It was erected in 1912, and consolidated with Bay City School in the late 1950's. In 1958 there were 44 students enrolled. The schoolhouse was purchased, remodeled and converted into a residence. Later it was destroyed by a fire in the 1990's. School auctioned off the school. A new residence has been constructed on the site. Bay Co p. 67 Old school used as tool shed
O'Laughlin #3
Fraser
Bay
1882-1956
N side of Anderson Rd between 7 Mile & Fraser Rds
32
W
Originally a one-room school, a 2nd room was added. The school burned-down in 1930, but was rebuilt. In 1956 it annexed to Pinconning. County Schools of Bay Co p. 226
Town Hall #3
Kawkawlin
Bay
1875-1963
Mackinaw Rd & Hugh bank of river
16
W/B
The first school for this Township was built on a high hill with a wooden-frame. Annexed to Bay City and closed in 1963. In 1958/59 there were 62 students enrolled. They were bussed into Bay City. The school building was closed and then converted into a residence. Bay Co p. 126
Linwood Village #1
Kawkawlin
Bay
1887-1956
Linwood Rd, 1/2 mile E of M-13 donated by Parsons family
2
W
The first one-room school had to expand to two-rooms by 1900's. The old Linwood #1 was torn down in 1952 and a new school was started that year. It had 3 classrooms and a kitchen. Grades included 9th grade. The school was located where the Linwood Elementary now stands. In 1956 Linwood consolidated with the Pinconning area schools along with State Rd, Newberg, Beck O'Laughlin, Lengville and Fraser Center. In 1958 an additional six classrooms and a gym were added. Bay Co p. 117
Grigg #2
Merritt
Bay
1890-1963
N side of German Rd
3
B
The first school in this locale was called Pfenninger. The citizens decided to build a new schoolhouse. It was an attractive two-room school constructed of red brick and built according to specifications for a Standard School. After Gregg consolidated with Bay City, the Gregg students were transferred to the new Munger School. After that closed 5 years later, the children were bussed to other Bay City Schools. The school was sold and converted into a residence, but not many years later the building burned-down. Only the Cornerstone survived
St Anne Catholic
Fraser
Bay
1884-current
220 4th St, Linwood, MI 48634
34
W
Building razed, parish still active
Nolet #7
Hampton
Bay
1893-1957
Nolet Rd at Warner Rd
26
W
Built as a wooden-frame one-room school in 1893. By 1945 the school was overcrowded, with over 50 students, and in 1952 additions were made including a 2nd classroom. After consolidation with the Essexville-Hampton District in 1968 the school was purchased as a residence
Bentley #1
Gibson
Bay
1888-1956
Bentley Rd facing W, N of business section
20
W/Block
Bentley was a lumbering community during the lumber era and into WWII. The school district was founded in 1888. It became a two-room school and Elementary and High School subjects were taught. It was turned into a residence. H.S. students went to Pinconning (or elsewhere) Consolidated with Pinconning. Afterwards used as a migrant camp and then boarded up. Still boarded up and seems abandoned. In 2001 the school was for sale Bay Co p. 266. Bentley mentioned in Shadow Towns of Michigan p. 19
Garfield #1
Garfield
Bay
1891-1956
9 Mile Rd between Ericson & Newburg Rds
11
W
A one-room country school existed as Garfield #1. Part of this school burned, but some of it was salvaged and used to help build a residence on the school site. Henry Uhlman who began his teaching career at Garfield #1 went on to become the Superintendent of Pinconning Public High Schools
Delano #4
Garfield
Bay
1885-1956
Anderson Rd between 7 & 8 Mile Rds
36
W
As with so many other one-room schools, Delano was a simple wood-framed white building. In 1956 Delano merged with Pinconning as did all other Garfield Township District Schools. County Schools of Bay Co p. 258
Glover #3
Gibson
Bay
1894-1956
Midland & Mackinaw Rds, E of Dunham School
8
W
Converted to farm storage, now gone
Duford #3
Garfield
Bay
1890-1956
Anderson Rd W of Flajole Rd, Linwood, MI
32
W
The first school was held in the attic of a log home. Later a white wood-framed schoolhouse was built on Anderson Rd. When the Garfield Township District Schools merged with the Pinconning Area School System in 1956, the school was purchased and remodeled into a residence. Bay Co p. 252
Sugar #1
Frankenlust
Bay
by 1860-1958
Saginaw Rd (M-84) (Frankenlust near Monitor Sugar Company)
31
W
Both German and English were spoken in the first school. Sugar School was a one-room white-frame school. It's neighbor was the Monitor Sugar Company, hence the school name. Much later it became West Bay City High School. Bay Co p. 244
Munger #1
Merritt
Bay
1874-1963
Finn & Munger Rd (M-13) Located in the center of Munger. It was rebuilt on Merritt Township property
22
W
Established in 1874. When large enrollment occurred it was made a two-room school. Munger consolidated with the Bay County School system and built a new Munger Elementary on Finn Rd S of the old school. The school children From Griff, Arn, Powell, What Cheer and Munger were bussed to the new Elementary School. Then the Bay School District closed the Munger School after 5 years and the children were bussed to Hampton, MacGregor, Whittier and Washington. At that point What Cheer and Arn Schools decided to join the Reese School in Tuscola County. The Munger Fire Department purchased the school and converted it into a community center. The original Munger School became a storage shed and eventually it was demolished. County Schools of Bay Co p. 163
St. Valentine Catholic School #1
Beaver
Bay
1891-1957
1010 9 Mile Rd, Kawkawlin, MI
14
B
There were 24 students in grades K-6. Low enrollment. Annexed with St. Anne's
Mount Forest #4
Mount Forest
Bay
1872-1956
At end of RR spur on the Pinconning/Gladwin Line
20
Log/W
The last log school in Bay County, Mount Forest #4 was built at the end of a railroad spur on the Michigan Central Pinconning-Gladwin line in S/20. It was replaced in 1908 by a one-room, white-frame school that replaced the log schoolhouse. In 1937, a fire destroyed the schoolhouse and it was not replaced. The children were bussed into Pinconning Elementary School. County Schools of Bay Co p. 284
Raby #5
Hampton
Bay
1880-1955
NW corner of (Center) M-25 & Knight Rd
19
W/B
Before 1900 a one-room school was located at Knight and Center Rds known as Center Road School. Later a two-room red brick school was built and named Raby School. In 1955 it annexed with the Bay City School system and later became a Studio & Art gallery leased by the school district at $1 a year. Bay Co p. 79
Ketchum Hill #2
Gibson
Bay
1890-1956
Saganing Rd, facing S, a little distance E of Bentley Rd
29
W
A typical white-framed one-room schoolhouse was located on Saganing Rd, facing S, and a little distance E of Bentley Rd. It was absorbed by the Pinconning School System in 1956. After a few years it was purchased and turned into a residence. Bay Co p. 270
White Feather #3
Pinconning
Bay
1883-1956
White Feather Rd at the intersection of Mackinaw Rd
3
W
Was one of the 3 schools established in Pinconning Township. Indian Mission, Pinconning Village and White Feather established by 1883
Bedell #2
Kawkawlin
Bay
1868 by late 1950's
Beaver Rd between Mackinaw & Fraser Rds
28
W/B
The first school was a wooden structure and had a wood stove for heat. In 1886 a 20 ft addition was added to the N end of the school. In 1886 a 230 pound bell was installed. Then in 1900 the school burned down. It was decided to built a new two-room brick veneer school. Then in 1927 the bell tower burned. Due to a bucket brigade the fire was confined to the bell tower. The school was given to the property owners and is now part of their Centennial Farm. The last graduating class was in the late 1950's. Bay Co p. 122
Bullock/Merritt #2
Portsmouth
Bay
1880-1937
Bullock & German Rds, a little bit S of the school. Nelson Merritt owned the property
3
B
Red brick school with tall windows on E & W side and a high ceiling. There was a garage where teachers parked their cars. There was also a merry go around, slide, swing set, and a ball field. Annexed to the Bay City School System. It was called both Bullock or Merritt School. Bay Co p. 59
Cherry #2
Beaver
Bay
1880-1956
11 Mile Rd, 1/4 mile S of Cottage Grove Rd
10
W
First known as Farquharson School before 1900, then later known as Cherry School. At one time there were 65 students enrolled. In 1958 the enrollment was down to a more manageable 27 students. After consolidation with Bay City Schools, Cherry was bought from Beaver Township, remodeled, and an addition added to make a tri-level residence. Bay Co p. 80
Oa-at-Ka Beach/Mine/Bayside #5
Bangor
Bay
1901-1908
Along Euclid Ave (M-13) near Oa-at-Ka Beach, E of the Bay City Mine area
34
W
In 1909, #5 had 89 students, but it appears that #4 and #5 were combined
Coggin #2
Fraser
Bay
1880-1956
Linwood & Garfield Rds
22
W
A small community of Tebo would later be called Coggins Corner. The school annexed in 1956. Bay Co p. 225
Pleasant Valley #6
Gibson
Bay
1890-1942
S/2 on Township of Gibson map
2
W
Pleasant Valley School closed in the 1940's. It was located in S/2 on the Township map. Possibly annexed to Bay Area School. Bay Co p. 276
St Joseph's
Williams
Bay
1911-current
Village of Auburn
8
B
Merged with St Anthony in Auburn in the 1966-1967 school year
Hess #3
Portsmouth
Bay
1880-1956
NW corner of Tuscola (M-15) & German Rds
1
Log/CB
First called Washington School. 2nd school structure was built of cement block about 1908 at a different location. Renamed Hess as Bay City already had a Washington School. South wing added in 1923. Building auctioned off by the school. Building demolished in 2005. County Schools of Bay County p. 61
Indian/Bay Shore #1
Pinconning
Bay
1873-1956
S side of Pinconning Rd, E of the Village at the end of Maloney Rd
24
Log/W/B
The first schoolhouse was built in 1893 as a wooden-frame structure, but later covered with insulation and brick. It replaced the log school. Indian Mission Church School established by missionaries for the Chippewa Indian Village at the mouth of Pinconning River. Bay Shore or Indian School as it was sometimes called merged with the Pinconning Area School system in 1956. Demolished in 1990. Bay Co p. 202
Mount Forest #2
Mount Forest
Bay
1890-1956
11 Mile & Mount Forest Rds
15
W/B
First school was before 1890. That schoolhouse was replaced in 1916 with a two-room red brick school on 11 Mile Rd. It has a little brick coal shed on its S side which was also used for storage. When the rural school consolidated with the Pinconning area school system, the school and site were purchased and used as a hunting lodge for 19 years. It was then renovated and turned into a residence. Bay Co p. 280
Jones/Prairie/Hughes #1
Hampton
Bay
1863-1957
On Hampton Rd 1 1/2 miles S of Essexville. That school was log
18
Log/B
The first school was made of logs and called Prairie School. It was replaced by a frame building called Hughes School, but in 1870 that burned-down. That was replaced by the Brick Union School. The brick schoolhouse closed in 1957. (Not sure if there was a frame school between logs and brick or not)
Cloverdale #6
Garfield
Bay
1900-1956
Near intersection of 11 Mile & Newburgh Rds
9
W
The one-room white framed school building was located near the corner of 11 mile and Newberg Rds. It was annexed to Pinconning schools in 1956. Bay Co p. 264
John B Laing #5
Mount Forest
Bay
1874-1949
White Feather & Carter Rds
5
B
The Bennett family are the owners. Excellent condition
Homestead/Erikson #2
Garfield
Bay
1895-1956
Flajole Rd between Kitchen & Newburg Rds
18
W
Homestead #2 had chemical toilets so the children did not need to go outside. Still in 1949 the girls outhouse was tipped over as a Halloween prank. Homestead was sometimes referred to as Erickson School. Annexed to Pinconning in 1956. Bay Co. p. 252
Brooks #2
Frankenlust
Bay
1900-1958
E side of S Euclid & Hotchkins Rds
6
W
A typical white frame, one-room school describes Brooks School. When the school closed the Sugar School children attended Mackenson School on 2 Mile Rd. Bay Co p. 245
First Schoolhouse (Bay County)
Portsmouth
Bay
1838-1850's
Foot of Fremont Ave where it meets the Saginaw River
16
Log
Judge A. Miller built a log building and was first teacher. Until the 1850's this was the school in Portsmouth Township. Log building no longer standing
Gilbert #3
Monitor
Bay
1890-1961
7 Mile & River Rds
8
B
A RR spur of the Michigan Central-Gladwin line ran into Arenac County. A stop by what is now M-61 and Carter Rds was named Glover Switch. This is how the school received its name. The district joined the Bay City School System in 1956. but used until at least 1961 Bay Co p. 252
Fisher #6
Williams
Bay
by 1890-1958
Salzburg & 12 Mile Rds
33
W
A tall white-framed building was built for the Fisher School, Williams #6. In 1953 a fire gutted the interior. In 1954 the school was re-built. County Schools of Bay Co. p. 39
Martin Whyet #7
Kawkawlin
Bay
1868-1899
Located on what is the W corner of the intersection of Neuman & 7 Mile Rds
30
Log/W
After an increase in students in the 1920s an addition facing 7 Mile Rd made this school two-rooms. After the school consolidated to the Pinconning School system it was closed and the building was made into two apartments for migrant workers. As of 2001 it stands abandoned. County Schools of Bay Co p. 135
Webster/Dunam #2
Monitor
Bay
1884-1963
Located on the N side of Midland Rd, 1/2 mile W of Mackinaw Rd
21
W
The first Monitor School was a two-room, white-frame building. A new red brick school was built and the name was changed to Webster. By 1908 the name was changed to Dunham. In 1958/59 there were 130 students enrolled. Many of the fathers were coal miners. Bay Co p. 149
St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church
Williams
Bay
1897-current
4699 S 11 Mile Rd (W of Auburn) Fisherville, MI
21
B
Settled by Polish pioneers that settled in Williams Township in Bay County
Miller #7
Pinconning
Bay
1900-1956
White Feather Rd between 7 & 8 Mile Rds
6
Log/W
This was a one-room white frame typical schoolhouse. It closed with the consolidation of the Pinconning area schools in 1956
1st St Paul Lutheran School
Frankenlust
Bay
1865-current
6094 W side Saginaw Rd, Bay City, MI
1
B
A two-story frame schoolhouse was built in 1865. There were two schools and the curriculum was divided between the two schools. The older children were taught German, religion and arithmetic in the afternoon. In 1909 the two-story frame school in Frankenlust was replaced with a cement block building. In 1941 a fire extensively damaged the interior of the cement block school. The school was replaced with a new brick school on the same site. The school is still active today teaching PS-8 Grades. Bay Co p. 242
Baxman #4
Monitor
Bay
1880-1960
SW corner of Midland & Baxman Rds. Moved to McAlear & Sawden Rds
24
W
This two-room white framed school was named Baxman after the Land owner. Later the students moved to a new building at (McAlear and Sawden Rds) The first school was used for a variety of activities. In the 1950's the Church of God was established in the Baxman School. Bay Co p. 152
Kawkawlin Village #6
Kawkawlin
Bay
1857-1962
First school located on the S side of Old Kawkawlin Rd in Monitor Township
10
Shanty/W/W
Because of increased enrollment a new and larger school was built across the Old Kankawin Rd on the bank of the Kawkawlin river. In 1962, all Monitor Township schools merged with Bay City School. The 3rd building was then used for other purposes. County Schools of Bay Co p. 159
What Cheer/Mine #6
Merrit
Bay
1904-1963
On Kenny Rd, E of Jones Rd & 1 mile from Tuscola Rd (M-15)
29
W
A typical white-framed one-room schoolhouse was built in 1904. (Previous to that day students attended Powell School). It was named after the What Cheer after the Coal Mining Company that operated close to the school. It was also known as the Mine School. Previous to 1904 all the children had attended Powell School. The What Cheer decided by vote in 1963 to annex with Trees School District in Tuscola County. After closing became a church but is no longer standing. Bay Co p. 179
Whitney #5
Gibson
Bay
1800's-1956
On Saganing Rd between 11 Mile & Garfield Rds
35
W/B
One-room schoolhouse. white frame, retangular. Annexed by 1953. Country Schools of Bay Co p. 276
Needham #1
Monitor
Bay
1870-1963
NE corner Hotchkiss & 7 Mile Rds
32
W
Needham was the first school in Monitor Township. It was a white frame one-room schoolhouse. It was built in 1958 and there were 18 students enrolled. School officials gave the new construction a change of name. Webster-Monitor, District #2. Bay Co p. 145
Washington/Chapman #1
Bangor
Bay
1859-1920/1921-1963
First school Vermont & Litchfield St in 1859/60. Then to 3490 Old Kawkawlin Rd, Bay City
8
Shanty/W/B
First school a shanty possibly called Old Washington #1. Next a red brick building on Old Kawkawlin Rd. The Old Bangor Township Hall is across Wheeler Rd from the Old Washington School. In 1909 #1 had 93 pupils. The Washington School burned-down in 1920. A new Union School, District #1 of Bangor was opened in April 1921. This is now the Administration Building and contains the school archival records. In 1991 it was a State Historical Site. Bay Co p. 45
Ott #7
Kawkawlin
Bay
1889-1963
7 Mile Rd, 1 1/2 miles N of Beaver Rd
19
W
In 1889 Ott School, a one-room school was built on an acre. In 1899 Martin Wythe transferred to Ott School. Country Schools of Bay County p. 212
Powell #4
Merritt
Bay
1877-1955
SE corner at the intersection of Old Tuscola Plank Rd (M-15) & Brown Rd
29
W
A typical white framed one-room school that was named for an earlier settler who worked in the Sawmills. When the State of Michigan made Tuscola Rd a 4 lane highway in the 1950s Powell School had to be moved. At this time inside toilets and water were added to the building. The citizens built a new school in 1958. People were very disappointed that the new Munger School closed. After Powell School closed it was used a a church
Seidler/Petzold #6
Beaver
Bay
1838-1970
NE corner of Garfield & Seidler Rds
23
Log/W
A log school was built on one acre at the Garfield & Seidler intersection. It was named Petzold School. Later this corner was known as Seidler's Corner. In 1880 a white-framed school building replaced the log school. In 1958 there were 14 students enrolled. After the school was annexed to Bay City Schools, a family purchased the Seidler School. It was then remodeled and it became a recreation center for a number of years. Then it was an antique shop. It was then put up for sale until 1998 when it was demolished. It is now a garden site. Bay Co p. 105. The Slate Fall 2009
North Williams #2
Williams
Bay
1860-1958
1/4 mile W of Garfield & Wheeler Rds
11
Log/W/B/B
First school was of logs. It was replaced by a wood frame school that burned-down. Students from Martin Whyte transferred to Ott School in 1899. Then a brick veneer building was built about 1899. That school was also destroyed by fire in 1921. That building was replaced by a brick structure in 1921. It was used as a school until 1958 when it was annexed to Auburn. The building is now a home. Bay County Schools. p. 24
Edison #2
Monitor
Bay
1860-1988
N side of Midland Rd, 1/4 mile W of Euclid Ave, just outside city limits. Served as a landmark for many years
19
CB/W/B
Edison #2, was the 2nd schoolhouse in District #2 Bangor. It burned-down in November of 1877. A one room replaced the burned out building. In 1907 a red brick two-room school was was built at the same time. In 1909 had 78 students. Mt. Vernon School was constructed of cement blocks. Edison divided into 4 rooms and had a full basement, where the first hot lunches were served. In 1950 two more rooms were built just behind the original schoolhouse. All of this was due to increased enrollment. Closed in the 1970's. It is now used as a clothing center for needy families. Original school demolished in 1999. County of Bay Schools p. 55
Auburn #3
Williams
Bay
1869-1963
Midland & Bay City Rds
23
Log/W/B
In 1869 a vacant log building was used as the first school in the Village of Williams District # 3t. Next a frame school was also built. In 1909 it was decided to built a 60 ft X 64 ft, four-room school of brick, two stories high. In 1911 students could attend from K-12th grade. Both schools were being used as there were 265 children to educate. In the 1940's the 9th and 10 grade students were transported to Bay City or Midland. In 1957 a bond for $220,000 for the construction of a new elementary school was approved. Bay Co p. 27
Forest #5
Williams
Bay
1880-1963
SE corner of Bay City-Midland & Flajole Rds
20
Log/W
The first roughly made school was followed by a well-constructed wood-frame building erected in 1886, where the first school had been. This second building was in service for 58 years until it was auctioned off in 1944 for $800. Construction of a 3rd school was built by the W.P.A. The 7th and 8th graders were transported to Midland Junior High. Country Schools of Bay Co p. 36
McKeith #4
Beaver
Bay
1872-1956
Flajole Rd, 1/4 mile N of Beaver Rd
30
W
The first McKeith School was at the intersection of Beaver and Flajoke Rds, but in 1904 a new typical one-room white framed building was erected. It faced E, 1/2 mile N on Flajole Rd. After consolidations with the Bay City School system in 1962 it was auctioned off and became a residence. Is now demolished. Bay Co p. 89
Lincoln #3
Bangor
Bay
1893-1954
E side of Euclid Ave, about 1 mile S of Saginaw Bay. Lauria Rd put through running E & W
32
B
In 1909, #3 had 85 students. An addition and repairs were done in 1910. It was made into a one-room schoolhouse, but it was condemned in 1937. Before 1937 the lower grades K-5 did not have books. Lincoln School was contaminated with typhoid. One year the lower elementary class had 72 students. (Bay Area Files)
Bertie/LaLonde #3
Mount Forest
Bay
1909-1956
Intersection of Neuman & 9 Mile Rds
35
CB
The first school was known as LaLonde School, but later was named Bertie. In 1909 a cement block schoolhouse was constructed where students could complete the 10th grade of H.S. To finish HS students could go to Pinconning or elsewhere. Bertie closed in 1956 when the district consolidated with Pinconning. It was used as a migrant camp for a number of years and then boarded up. As of 2010 it was still boarded up and seems abandoned with a for sale sign on the building. Bay Co p. 282
LaPan/Huron #6
Pinconning
Bay
1890-1956
Corner of Shore & LaPan Rds
12
W
School was just W of the Detroit and Mackinac railroad tracks. One mile from Saginaw. LaPan was closed when all schools in Pinconning and Northern Bay County merged to form Pinconning Area School System in 1956. Bay Co p. 216
Ridge Road #2
Hampton
Bay
1870-1955
Ridge Rd, 1/4 mile W of Scheurmann Rd
27
W
Hampton #2 was a white wooden-frame school called Ridge Road. It annexed to Bay City Schools in 1955 and was the site of a former nurse training center. It was then purchased by the Catholic Diocese. Ridge Rd School closed in 1955, and was eventually auctioned off by the school district. Bay Co p. 79 SW corner of Anderson & 11 Mile Rds intersection
Cottage Grove/Cottage #6
Kawkawlin
Bay
1880-1963
N side of Cottage Grove Rd about 1/2 mile W of Fraser Rd
27
W
The two-room schoolhouse was first called Michelo. The name changed in the late 1920's, because the road now leads to the Cottage Grove Summer Homeowners Association. In 1958 there were 19 students enrolled. Bay Co p. 131
St. Michael's Catholic
Pinconning
Bay
1891-1931 & 1955-1970's
310 E 2nd St, Pinconning, MI
23
B
A hall on the 2nd floor of the McCormack building was acquired and beginning in 1891 it was used as a school. From 1905-1920 A four-room school, including a High School was opened in the fall of 1917. Five students started school there and graduated from High School in 1922. It was closed in 1931 because of the depression. In about 1955 it was re-opened -possibly closed in early 1970's Bay Co p. 207. St Michaels is open today and thriving
St Norbert Catholic School
Merritt
Bay
1924-1931
614 Pine St, Essexville, MI
14
B
Cornerstone for the church was laid in 1906. The school was built in 1924 and served primarily children of Dutch and Belgian settlers from Essexville

2026 The Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association

bottom of page