top of page

THE MICHIGAN ONE ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE ASSOCIATION
School | Township | County | Year | Location | Use | BM | Notes |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Graded School #1f | Alison Sheridan & ?? | Berrien | 9/1867- | 206 S. Superior, Albion MI | B | Sometimes called Albion Union School. Three-story brick school. Still Standing today. Teachers received $60 a month for the men. The women received $21 a month. | |
#1 | Lincoln | Berrien | 1887- | Lincoln Ave near Vineland Rd | |||
Pipestone #7 | Pipestone | Berrien | On the corner of Preston & Old Pipestone Rds | 31 | *Photos. Also known as First School | ||
Lamb #8 | Bertrand | Berrien | |||||
Burke | Pipestone | Berrien | Union Rd | 16 | |||
Glenlord/Stewart | Lincoln | Berrien | 1887- | NW corner of Red Arrow Hwy & Glenlord Rd | 15 | ||
Cribbs #2f | Bainbridge | Berrien | built around 1867-1958 | M-140 between N Branch & Hill Rds | 11 | Log/B | Two teachers. Cribbs was built around 1867. It was a typical one-room school with a single teacher, teaching students from grades 1 to 8. The school was named after early settlers in the area. The first Cribbs School burned Dec. 5, 1917. A Two-room brick school was built to replace it and it still stands. 1 of 10 rural schools that annexed to Coloma Community Schools about 1958. North Berrien Internet Information, Part 1. Also per Marge Yetzke. Marge's grandmother taught circa 1900. She lived not far from it |
Fairland #21f | Niles | Berrien | -About 1954 | Stafford between 140 & US-31 in Niles/Berrien Springs Area | B | Fairland resulted as a consolidation of merging with Hatfield, Matchett Peak and St. Joe Valley #5 to become the Fairland District. Had 4 classrooms and a gym. Also had an addition. (Later annexed to Niles Schools) Fairland was for sale in 1985 by Niles Schools and was appraised for $4,000. It had 10,000 sq ft, but remained empty for 5 years. Eventually was sold (Unknown where this info came from) | |
Evans #21f | Berrien | Berrien | 1867- | Marquette Woods & Washington Rds | 14 | Consolidated Eau Claire about 1914. Part of a residence. 1905 Miss Naomi Klacel, 1903 Miss Anna Scott and Miss Bernice Jeffries. Not sure which school is which. Berrien Old Time Schools Internet | |
Calvin #6 | Buchanan | Berrien | 1848- | Main St & Glendora Rd | B | One teacher. Brick structure, still standing. Per Marge Yetzke | |
Wagner #5 | Buchanan | Berrien | 1845- | W side of intersection of Wagner & W Clear Lake Rds | 7 or 20? | One teacher. Old school gone but newer two-room brick structure still standing. Per Marge Yetzke. Marge's father attended circa 1916. Organized March 2, 1845. May have also been located in S/20 (Unknown where info came from but says Web source) | |
Range Line #9 | Niles | Berrien | -1955 | SE corner of Rangeline & Matthew Rds at corner of DeMott Farm | 7 | W | Originally called DeMott as it was on the corner of the DeMott Farm. It was then moved and called Rangeline in 1955. It annexed with Buchanan School system and Rangeline was torn-down. The site is now overgrown. Privately owned |
North Maple Grove | Eau Claire | Berrien | |||||
Cedar Lane #12 | Niles | Berrien | |||||
Baroda #2 | Lake | Berrien | Baroda Township was divided from Lake Township in 1923 | See under River/Riverside Schools. On November 13, 1946 a boiler explosion happened at the school. In 1905, Clara Prince was the teacher. Berrien Old Time School Internet | |||
Eau Claire #10f | Pipestone | Berrien | 1851 | Village, 5 corners | B | Built in 1851. Replaced by a two-room building in 1888 which burned-down in 1918 | |
Pyle #6 | Weesaw | Berrien | SW corner of Cleveland & Warren Woods Rds | 26 | |||
Grange | Oronoko | Berrien | 5-Rd intersection between Snow & Grange Rds | Nothing else noted | |||
West Three Oaks #5 | Three Oaks | Berrien | |||||
First #7f | Pipestone | Berrien | On the corner of Preston & Old Pipestone Rds | See Pipestone School | |||
Bridgeman #7 | Lake | Berrien | 1888-1967 | Bainbridge Center & Territorial Rds | B | This school annexed in 1967 and was purchased for $1000 by the Bainbridge Township Hall | |
Winn | Niles | Berrien | Winn Rd just W of Walton Rd | 9 | |||
Clymer #8 | Coloma | Berrien | 1880-annexed 1958. 1973 | NW of Coloma about 10 miles N of Hartford on 1/2 acre. and donated by Arthur Clymer, a prosperous local farmer. Originally at the corner of Hagar Shore and Riverside Rds | 6? | W/B | The first Clymer School was a small, one-room frame structure with a large entryway where coats were hung and dinner pails were kept. Built in 1880. The school was heated by a wood stove. The first teacher was Albert Jackson who received $10 a month. There were 63 children. Mrs Bob McConnell taught there for 10 years. In 1886 it appears a 2nd school was built and then in 1917 a red brick school was built on and donated by Arthur Clymer. There were two teachers. The first teacher was Albert Jackson. 1 of 10 rural schools that annexed to Coloma Community Schools in the late 1950's. North Berrien Internet Information, Part 1 |
Browntown #6f | Chikaming | Berrien | circe 1867-closed 1950s | Corner of Browntown Rd & I-94 | One teacher. Teacher: Mrs Arend. Closed mid 1950's when Chikaming School opened. Old Time School Internet | ||
Boynton #14 | Benton | Berrien | On Britain Avenue | Four teachers. Information from newspaper and those who attended school. More info sought. Berrien Old Time Schools Internet | |||
Hills #1f | Baroda | Berrien | Browntown Rd, just N of Hills Corners | 36 | |||
Painter #7 | Weesaw | Berrien | E side of Cleveland Rd, N of Elm Valley Rd | 15 | |||
Center #7 | Bainbridge | Berrien | 1869- | Bainbridge Township Information | Two teachers. Michigan State University Grange records list Center Grange #14 on page 38. Berrien Old Time Schools Internet lists a Center/Centre School possibly built in 1869. Brick school building in 1885. Nothing else. Michigan State list Grange #14 on page 38 of their records | ||
Holbrook #3 | New Buffalo | Berrien | by 1891 | Nice photo of Elementary class of 1891 when in 6th or 7th grade. In front of wood-frame building. Unknown location or school name | |||
Howe #6 | Bertrand | Berrien | 1936- | Buffalo & Red Bud Trail | 11 | ||
Geyer #14 | Niles | Berrien | Walton & Camp Rds | 19 | Alternate location. On Walton Rd at Camp Rd | ||
Pollywog #9 | Bertrand | Berrien | Oak Forest Rd, between Curran & Chicago Rds | 15 | One teacher | ||
Winkler #4 | Niles | Berrien | |||||
Franklin #2 | Berrien | Berrien | 1906-1907 | Pucker St, N end | One teacher. Residence. Annexed to Eau Claire and moved to M-62 & Closson Rd about 1906. On property originally owned by Buck family. Building moved to corner of M-62 & Closson Rd in 1906/07 | ||
Eaton #5 | Weesaw | Berrien | NE corner of Elm Valley & Gardner Rds | 25 | |||
Womer #4 | Bertrand | Berrien | 1832-1966 | Chicago Rd, E of Orange Rd, on N side, W of Mayflower Rd | 7 | One teacher | |
East Division #3f | Albion & Sheridan | Berrien | 1842- | S side of Michigan Ave, just W of the intersection at Jackson St | Small wooden schoolhouse built on the S side of Michigan Ave. just W of the intersection of Jackson St. Original school measured 16 ft x 25 ft. Heated by box stove in middle of the room. School was becoming so crowded that another school was needed. A history of Albion p. 5 | ||
Sawyer #2 | Chikaming | Berrien | Two teachers. Sawyer Harbert and Lakeside combined about 1957/58 once Chikaming School was built. Old time Schools Internet | ||||
Bertrand #1 | Bertrand | Berrien | One teacher. Berrien Bicentennial | ||||
Bainbridge Center/Brick #7 | Bainbridge | Berrien | 1888-1966 | Corner of Territorial & Bainbridge Center Rds | 16 | B | Two-rooms, red brick school built circa 1888 and closed in 1966. Bainbridge district was split into Coloma and Watervliet districts. The school still stands today (2009). It was used as the Bainbridge Township Hall who bought it from the school districts. Michigan State Grange Records list a Bainbridge Grange #80 on page 37 of their records. Berrien Old Time School Listing. Internet. Also list of some teachers |
Gitchell #10f | Bertrand | Berrien | 1840- | Chicago & Portage Rds | 5 | ||
Maple Grove #9 | Pipestone | Berrien | No information except it covered Pipestone, Eau Clair Village and Berrien Township. Old time Schools Internet | ||||
Landen #4 | Baroda | Berrien | open still in 1949 | Corner of Snow & Landen Rds, N side | Was in operation at least until 1949. From 1949-1950 Eugenia Markert was teacher? Berrien Old Time Schools Internet | ||
Glendora #1f | Weesaw | Berrien | Glendora Rd, 1/8 miles W of intersection of Glendora & Gardner Rds | ||||
Derby #5 | Lincoln | Berrien | 19 | ||||
Elm Valley #8 | Weesaw | Berrien | 1880-1944 | Corner of Elm Valley Rd, 5 miles NE of Three Oaks | 25-30 | See booklet entitled, The Early History of Elm Valley School, District No. 8, Weesaw Township, Berrien County, Michigan by John Wirth. Old Time Schools - Internet says the school was founded in 1880 and the students were sent to Gallon and New Troy at the time of consolidation in 1944. This last building was the 3rd Elm Valley #8. In September of 1949 the building was sold by the Stoner family who owned the original 1 acre of and the school was built on. Some teachers were Herman Austin in 1880's and Miss Agnes Spaulding in 1929 | |
St Joseph Valley #5 | Niles (21) | Berrien | by 1920?-1956 | Hwy 63 & Matthew Rd, corner of US-31, N of Matthew | 9 | W | After the school closed it was used as a church which ended up burning down. Annexed to Berrien Springs in 1956. The building was moved to the S side of Long Lake and remodeled to be used as a farm guest house. Later it became a private dwelling. The old school site and is now owned by a local farmer (Unknown where information is from) |
Oak Grove #7 | Berrien | Berrien | 1868-1954 | NE corner of M-140 & Chapel Rd | 34 | W | One teacher. Now a private residence. The Oak trees planted by the children are still there. Merged with Hatfield, Matchett Peak and St Joe Valley #5 to become the Fairland District in 1954.(Later annexed to Niles Schools) It has since been turned into a residence (Not sure where information from) |
Burke #16 | Pipestone | Berrien | Union Rd | Not extant. Students included: Ruth (Miller) Phairas, Catherine, Ethelma, Mary Sue, Beverly Lou, Virginia and George Phairas, 1930's-1950's. Vladic and Skibbe families attended in 1950's | |||
Hills | Baroda | Berrien | by 1934-1949? | In operation in 1934 and may have closed in 1949. Berrien Old Time Schools Internet | |||
#2 | Lincoln | Berrien | 1887- | About where Brown School is in Shoreham | |||
Dickinson | Royalton | Berrien | Corner of Marquette Woods & US-31 | B | See Tryon School | ||
Lacey | Niles | Berrien | Phoenix St, Niles | River St, W to Phoenix St, turn right, left side of Rd. Extant. No info in Old Time Schools Internet | |||
DeMott/Rangeline #9f | Niles | Berrien | early 1950s | SE corner of Rangeline & Matthew Rds | 7 | W | Gone. Torn-down in the 1950's. Annexed to Buchanan. See Range Line School |
Brick #4 | Bainbridge | Berrien | 1874-1962 | 1710 Friday Rd, Coloma, MI | 5 | B | Built in 1874 at a cost of $1670.50. 24 families paid the cost of the building. In 1962 it was sold to Coloma school in 1961 for $1,200 and later sold to a private individual. One of 10 rural schools that annexed to Coloma Community Schools in 1962. Before annexation the school had been updated with a well, single seats replaced the double seats, and a telephone was installed and electricity. A stove was purchased a wash bowl, comb and towel, two brooks, pail and a dipper and a mirror. There was a celebration and then the school annexed to Coloma. Trails from Shingle Diggins |
Burg/Berg #12 | Bainbridge | Berrien | opened by 1906-by 1940's | About 1/2 mile W of County Line Rd on Danneffel Rd | Was sold and moved to Benton Harbor by M-139. Was a church and then a paint shop. Closed in the early 1940's. Building used as farm storage. Miss Mira Olds taught there in 1906 | ||
Dayton #1 | Bertrand | Berrien | Cannot find on map | One teacher | |||
Brick #5 | Bainbridge | Berrien | 1854-1963 | 1710 Friday Rd at Hill St, 2 miles S of Coloma | 4 | B | Two teachers. Haunted House. Privately owned. Article in Herald-Palladium by Andrew Lersten. built by 1854 |
Sodus #2 or #1 | Sodus | Berrien | by 1862 | W | When Sodus Twp was formed in 1859 there were two one-room schools. (There were more built). | ||
California #5 | Lake | Berrien | Berrien County Genealogical Society, Pastfinder, Vol. 29 #2. No info On Old Time School Internet | ||||
Electric Light #3 | Niles | Berrien | 1900-1962 | Original site on Creek Rd at Pucker St. New school built on Pucker St about 1 mile away with 3 classrooms | 15 | W | Beginners went home at noon, 1st & 2nd graders went home at 2:00 pm. The school day ended at 4:00 pm for grades 3-8th. Electric Light annexed to Fairland or to Niles Northside about 1962. Now a church. Old Town Schools Internet adds Electric Light got its name from being situated close to the Niles Power Plant. But it did not get electricity until 1931. Mabel Andrews taught here and at various other schools in the region Sold to a congregation and is still a church in 2003. |
Evans #4 | Lincoln | Berrien | Correct Evan School? NR corner of Washington & Marquette Woods Rds | 21 | W | Article in Herald-Palladium, January 23, 1994. Consolidated with Eau Claire about 1914 | |
Stanley #7 | Benton | Berrien | 1868-1960's | End of Kerlikowske Rd, at T intersection at Red Arrow Rd | 10? | Carole Kiernan, Ph: 463-4696. St. Joseph Herald-Palladium, June 17, 1994.Consolidated in the 1960's. Berrien Old Time Schools Internet | |
Unknown #5 | Hagar | Berrien | No idea where located or name | Teacher: Berenice Scott, 1905 | |||
River #5 | Sodus | Berrien | by 1865 | 4439 River Rd. Then on King's Landing and Eau Claire Highway | 15 | B | H-P article 23 Jan. 1994. See article following Riverside School. Operating. Teacher: Jean C. Stroud. There are quite a few records for this school showing additions such as a front porch and supplies purchased, such as a mop and pail for 25 cents. They paid $2 to have the school cleaned. In 1911 a room 20 ft x 24 ft was added to the N side of the school The High School students attended Benton Harbor City Schools. In 1927 the school burn down. A two-room school was built as a replacement. By 1959 an additional room had been added. River District did NOT annex and stayed independent. It's High School students went/go to Eau Claire HS as tution students |
Hatfield #8 | Niles | Berrien | by 1860-1954 | Originally at NW corner of Hatfield Rd & M-140 in Niles/Berrien Springs area | 10 | B | Now a vacant lot. It was torn-down after sitting empty for many years and suffering vandalism. The bricks from the school were used to make a walkway at the park on Bond St, Niles MI. When it was newer it was a residence for a short while. Consolidated with Fairland Schools probably in 1954. (Unknown where this info came from) |
Buchanan #1f | Buchanan | Berrien | Village | 25 | Twenty-one teachers? First building of Logs burned in 1841. Angelina Bird was first teacher in Township | ||
Germany #4 | New Buffalo | Berrien | before 1890 | Wood framed building eventually connected to St. John's parsage. Faced Smith St | |||
Greenush/Harbert #4 | Chikaming | Berrien | by 1869 | Originally located on Birchwood & Beach Rsd | One teacher. In existence before 1869 on and owned by Edmund Glavin. Was used for church services. Was then moved to new location and took on new name of Harbert School. The original Greenbush building was moved across the tracks from Harbert School and turned into the Harbert Community Church about 1928. Old Time Schools Internet | ||
Gardner/Brong #4 | Buchanan | Berrien | circa 1860- | 3588 Andrews Rd, NW edge of Buchanan | 14 | One Teacher. Herald-Palladium, June 4, 1997. Originally on corner of Wagner & Gardner Rds | |
Stevensville #6 | Lincoln | Berrien | 1886- | St Joseph Ave in the Village of Stevensville | 27 | May have been called Stewart. Consolidated with Lakeshore. Herald-Palladium, January 23, 1994. See Riverside Schools. Old Time Schools Internet say Initiated by the Methodist Episcopla in 1847 and later became known as Spears School. This says is from the History of Van Buren and Berrien Counties. Stevensville was in Lincoln Township. In the 1940's some teachers wee Miss Elsie Prillwitz, Miss Alma Tinkham and Mrs. Lavinia Kamrad. | |
#3 No Name | Weesaw | Berrien | Glendora Rd, 1/8 miles W of Log Cabin Rd intersection, S side | 8 | |||
Bakertown #7 | Bertrand | Berrien | Bakertown & Buffalo Rds | 10 | Mentioned in several newspapers. Old Time Schools Internet | ||
Lincoln #5 | Lincoln | Berrien | 1887- | Lincoln Ave, S of John Beers Rd | W | Old time Schools Internet | |
Bertrand #4 | Niles | Berrien | 1 mile N of Indiana border, W of M-33 | B | Original site of Notre Dame University. Now has a modern Elementary School. Michigan Shadow Towns p. 30 | ||
North Lincoln #3 | St Joseph Village | Berrien | Herald-Palladium, June 23, 1994. Consolidated with St. Joseph by 1934 | ||||
Miller #2 | Buchanan | Berrien | 1839- | Corner of Miller &N. Main St | 15 | One teacher. Now a residence. Per Marge Yetzke. District organized May 12, 1839. Berrien County Record, January 2, 2003, page 3. Originally known as Sherwood School | |
Kelsey #7f | Buchanan | Berrien | 1875- | Red Bud Trail N, 4 miles N of Buchanan near corner of Little Glendora & Aalfs Rds | 11 | One teacher. See Chapin Lake School | |
Chapin Lake #7f | Buchanan | Berrien | 1875- | 13276 N Red Bud Trail, 4 miles N of Buchanan | One teacher. Across from Bear Cave, W side. Organized in 1875. Originally known as Kelsey School. Now a private residence | ||
Bundy/Bunday#1 | Hagar | Berrien | 1832- | Near intersections of Bundy & Riverside Rds | 24 | Log/W | Source: Dorothy Stark Cannell, Shingle Diggins built in 1844, First School in Township. Building was built by James Bunday about 1832 and later used as a school house. A log cabin was there in 1843, but burned-down in 1849. It was replaced with a wooden-framed structure. A 3rd structure replaced the others about 1884. First teacher was Matilda Irwin who taught there circa 1844. Old Time School Internet. 1 of 10 rural schools that annexed to Coloma Community Schools about 1958. North Berrien Internet Information, Part 1 |
Forrest #5 | Bertrand | Berrien | One teacher | ||||
General Information | Berrien | 1934 | In 1934 Berrien County Schools had 165 schools in operation. 134 rural schools, 13 parochial schools and 4 city school systems | ||||
Shaunee #7 | Oronoko | Berrien | SW corner of Shawnee & Burgoyne Rds | 20 | |||
#7 | Lincoln | Berrien | 1997 | DeFay Rd & Red Arrow Hwy | |||
Hathaway #8 | Lake | Berrien | |||||
Wynn | Buchanan | Berrien | Wynn Rd, on the E end | ||||
Long Lake #1 | Berrien | Berrien | 1892-1956 | 6533 Long Lake Rd | 29 | W | Annexed to Berrien Springs after it became too crowded. Now a residence. Sharing Memories p. 32 |
National #5 | Berrien | Berrien | 1872-1965 | 990f Pucker St (East Side) between Pokagon & Smith Rds | 24 | W/B | One teacher. First wood-frame school in S/24, E side of Pucker St between Pokagon & Smith Rds.1893 In 1883 a red brick school was built across the road. In 1965 The schoolhouse was sold and then remodeled many times. Now a private residence. The school bell was sold and some of the Maple trees on the property are still standing. Not sure where information is from |
Coveney #4 | Buchanan | Berrien | 1845- | E. Glendora & NE corner of Coveney Rds | 5 | One teacher. Web search | |
Sherwood #2 | Buchanan | Berrien | Corner of Miller Rd & Main St | One teacher. See Miller School | |||
Avery #1 | Three Oaks | Berrien | Cannot find on map | One teacher | |||
New Buffalo #1 | New Buffalo | Berrien | 1836 | Old Time Schools Internet indicates this 1836 was first school in New Buffalo, established in 1836 | Mention of school. Burned down (probably made of logs) and in 1923 a new two-story building on Buffalo St was built to replace the building that burned in 1915. Total income and outgoing was over $12,000 with teacher's salaries accounting for more than half. Quite an increase over the $150 voted for school. It is thought that in 1915 the City Hall (that had originally been a school) which was destroyed by fire in 1915) was built, but the photo of the two-story multi room building dates the photo at 1908. The graduated number for 1908 was 25. In 1920 the graduating class was 4. In 1914 the 7th and 8 grades had a number of 16 in their photo outside in front of a wooden-frame school | ||
Shanghai #3f | Pipestone | Berrien | 1841 Log Shanty-1960s | Corner of Shanghai & Pipestone Rds | 18 | Log | Turned into a residence. Closed in the 1960's Old Time Schools. Internet says the school in about 1841 was in a log shany. That school was replaced by 1847. It closed in the 1960's. Michigan State University list a Pipestone Grange #194 on page 40 of their records. See History of Van Buren & Berrien County |
Broceus #3 | Buchanan | Berrien | S end of Broceus School Rd, at intersection of Wagner & Bakertown Rds | 27 | One teacher. Original building gone, but two-room brick building still standing. Per Marge Yetzke. Marge's brother attended circa 1952. Also known as Marshall School | ||
Antoik #2 | Berrien | Berrien | Do not see on map | 2? | |||
Buckhorn #5 | Royalton | Berrien | 1869- | Between Rockey Weed & Linco Rds | See Tryon School. Built in 1869 and converted into a church | ||
Yellow Mill #3 | Niles | Berrien | |||||
Hills Corners #1 | Weesaw | Berrien | Corner of Glendora & Gardner Rds | 1 | Gone. No longer standing. Per Marge Yetzke | ||
Riverside/Hagar #3 or #6 | Hagar | Berrien | 1869-present | Moved from original site | W | A decision was made to construct a new building. This frame building was to be 24 ft x 30 ft with a 10 ft ceiling. In 1891, a brick foundation was added. In 1891, he school was remodeled and added an addition. It was still over-crowded. In 1947, they were forced to use the basement of the Methodist Church. In 1948, an acre playground was added along with new toilet facilities. Riverside/Hagar #6 dealt with their overcrowding but did not consolidate with Coloma. The schoolhouse is still in use today with 83 registered students. In 1957/8 Harbert, Lakeside and Sawyer combined once Chikaming School was built. Bedford that some students had been attending Riverside instead of Hargert. (Different information. (Not sure where first information came from but think Internet) North Berrien Internet Information | |
Unknown #6 | Hagar | Berrien | No idea where located or name | Teacher: Mary Daly Theisen, Tri City Record, October 31, 2001 |
bottom of page