top of page

Database of Michigan Schoolhouses

Welcome to the Michigan Schoolhouse Database collected by the Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association.

Containing more than seven-thousand entries, it is one of the largest available databases for Michigan schoolhouses.

School
Township
County
Year
Location
Use
BM
Notes
Silverthorn
Haynes
Alcona
1870-1921
Silverthorn Family Farm, S/25
25
W
Fisher Grange in Harrisville
Gustin
Gustin
Alcona
1800's
Fowler Rd
W
Only foundation remains. Three additions
Aldrich
Curtis
Alcona
1888-1892
London Rd 1/2 mile E of Stout Rd
Can't find on map
Limerick
Mikado
Alcona
1904-1942
Was located on E side of F-41
13
W
Torn-down and lumber used to build a Lovelace Rd residence
Liston
Alcona
Alcona
SE corner of Sayers Rd
20
W
Now a residence
Cloverdale
Mitchell
Alcona
1909-1948
21
W
Demolished sometime after 1948
Alvin
Mikado
Alcona
1931
Michaud & Alvin Rd
26
W
Closed in 1931
Greenbush
Greenbush
Alcona
1870-1947
5029 Campbell Rd, N side of St
3
W
Currently the Greenbush Twp Hall. Owned by Greenbush Historical Society. A Michigan Register Historic Site 1979. * Picture on Google Exterior & Interior
Pine/Pyne
Haynes
Alcona
1901-1945
On the E side of Poor Farm Rd, 1/4 mile S of Quick Rd
21
W
Abandoned. * Picture on Google - Poor Quality
Lakeview
Curtis
Alcona
Healy & Banfield Rds, 1/2 mile W of Glennie
W
Residence
French Town
Haynes
Alcona
1880-
6849 Tower Rd, Curran, MI 48728, Township Hall
31
W
Annexed to Alcona Community Schools. Currently used as Mitchell Township Hall
Hungarian
Millen
Alcona
1913-
Millen Rd
CB
Standing 1/2 mile South of Flower Rd. Annexed to Alcona Community Schools
Johnson
Haynes
Alcona
1927-1947
3930 E McNeil Rd, just W of McGregor Rd
17
W
Alcona County Historical Site. Currently Haynes Township Hall since 1963. * Picture on Google
Millen
Millen
Alcona
Millen Rd, 1/2 mile S of Fowler Rd
CB
Vacant
Lott
Curtis
Alcona
1908
Probably located in or near Glennie
27
W
Norwegian/McDonald
Caledonia
Alcona
E side of School Rd between Spruce & Swede Rds
8
W
No longer standing
Curtisville 2nd
Curtis
Alcona
1884
8465 Clouse Rd, S Beach, MI 48671
17
Log
Both schools at same site. Now Curtisville Civil Center
Mitchell
Mitchell
Alcona
1911-
6849 W Tower Rd, Curran, MI
Log
Currently Mitchell Township Hall. * Picture on Google - Poor Quality
Curran
Mitchell
Alcona
1932-
W
Opened in 1932
Pine Grove
Caledonia
Alcona
1902-1939
6540 Hickey Hill Rd in Hubbard Lake
3
W
Residence. Pine Grove School Annexed to Alcona Community Schools
Low
Alcona
Alcona
1880's
Was at SW corner of Lake Shore Dr & Alger Smith Rd
Alcona County Historical Site. Vacant school, but Bell located at Alcona Township Hall. * Picture of Sign & Bell
Wilson
Harrisville
Alcona
1931
Barlow & Procunier Rds
31?
W
3rd building part of Knights of Columbus building in Lincoln
NF
Curtis
Alcona
1884
Curtisville Rd
Log
Land donated by Lumber Company Moore & Tanner. First school built west of Au Sable River
Poor Farm
Greenbush
Alcona
-1954
Mikado & Coville Rds, F-30
W
Annexed in 1954 to Oscoda Public Schools. Moved in 1979. Vacant
Glennie
Alcona
Alcona
1911-1948
Glennie Elementary School closed in 2010, K-5
CB
Celcom Community Schools
Mikado
Mikado
Alcona
1902-
Located on Mikado Rd
12
W
Gone. Was a two-room school
Klondike
Mikado
Alcona
1910
433 E F-30 at Buhl Rd, Mikado, MI
5
W
Only Foundation remains. Original wood school burned down in 1906. Rebuilt by Seth Bell & Son
Cedardale
Mitchell
Alcona
1908-1941
Original location on Kohler Rd just N of M-72
W
Moved to a 2nd location in 1930. SE corner of M-72 & Kohler Rd at Reid Lake Trail Head. Alcona Historical Society Sign on Site
Mount Joy
Haynes
Alcona
1888-1948
5130 Alcona Rd between US-23 & Lake Shore Dr
11
B
Alcona County Historical Site. Currently a residence located across from cemetary. * Picture on Google
Flynn Valley/Daisy Dell
Mitchell
Alcona
1911
Doctors Club Rd, Curran, MI
NF
Also known as Daisy Dell School. The Flynn school was purchased and moved to Curran to live in while building a new home. It still stands on that property in Curran. Flynn school was used on Sundays and Sunday School was held there as late as 1936. Also, this is where Sutton school burned down. First school moved to Curran. Story of Flynn Valley by Goldie P. (Crowell Wilcox. May 1967)
Hadley/Harrisville
Harrisville
Alcona
1908-1920
26
Log
Closed in 1920
Daisy Dell
Mitchell
Alcona
1888-1948
5130 Alcona Rd
First school was a logging camp. This school is now a hunting club and still stands on original site
Flynn Valley
Mitchell
Alcona
1914-
Flynn Valley Rd, Oakland Hunt Club, Curran, MI
Hunting club
Backus Creek
Gustin
Alcona
1888-1892
London Rd 1/2 mile E of Stout Rd
21
W
Now a residence
Bailey
Harrisville
Alcona
1907-1941
1.5 miles N of Harrisville, Trail to school
1 or 2
Log/W
When closed students went to Oscoda. In 1973 Township began a partial restoration, and in 1998 it was moved to Sturgeon Point. Now a museum. Contact: Diana Rigato, 313-655-3976. * Picture on website & youtube, Exterior & Interior on Google
Black River/Sand Hill
Alcona
Alcona
1850-
Black River & Sand Hill Rds
14
Annexed to Alcona Community Schools. Black River School itself is demolished
Bean Hill
Millen
Alcona
1911-1956
Walker & Bean Hill Rds
31
CB
Private Hunting Camp Association
Haynes
Haynes
Alcona
1927-1947
3993 E McNeil Rd
Barber/Ritchie
Hawes
Alcona
1902-
Somers & Sucker Creek Rds
1
W
Burned. Only foundation remains
Backus Beach
Hawes
Alcona
On seven shores of Hubbard Lake
2
Locates in the Hubbard Lake CDP (Census, demographic and population)
Village/City #4
Munising
Alger
1876
Two-story building also between Stonewall. Cost $10,000
Grand Marais
Burt
Alger
1885-current
Serves entirety of Burt Township almost 240 sq miles
In 1896 the village of Munising needed a building to serve grades K-12. This building first called Central and later Frobel School, was completed Jan 1, 1897. It was a two-story frame building with a basement. Also in 1896 the village had constructed a West Ward School for that end of town. After paying the last payment on Central school on Dec. 21, 1920 the school burned, but was covered by insurance. The students were on Christmas break. A new modern school was built with an auditorium, gymnasium and indoor swimming pool. This school was named after William G. Mather. A new Munising High School was built on the shore of Lake Superior in 1980 at a cost of 5 million dollars.
Schaeffer's Camp
Onota
Alger
B
Slapneck
Rock River
Alger
Au Train
Au Train
Alger
1905
Log
School may have closed about 1905
Eben
Limestone
Alger
West Ward School
Munising
Alger
1896-1913
In 1896 construction started for a school in the W end of town. In 1916 it replaced the West Ward School and was called Lincoln. Lincoln had 8 classrooms and could accommodate 300 children in Grades 1 thru 8
Vall
Au Train
Alger
W of the Rapid River Truck Trail
Wyman's School of the Woods
Munising
Alger
1909-1915
Students came from all over the USA to learn about lumber management and conservation. School was nationally famous. Closed during WWI. Entire site on internet. Archives at Michigan State University archives.
Whitefish
Onota
Alger
Jenney Station
Munising
Alger
North Stevens
Mathias
Alger
1888
Burned
Powell's Point
Grand Island
Alger
before 1915
Ridge
Au Train
Alger
Near Ridge Rd & the Duluth, S Shore & Atlantic RR
Coalwood
Au Train
Alger
Near Stillman & Wyman Rds
Indian Town/Thomasville
Munising
Alger
Located in Munising, Van Meer & Shingleton Rds
Ojibwe Village. Book on Indian Town won Michigan Historical Society Award
Myren
Munising
Alger
Melstrand
Munising
Alger
Unincorporated community at the Junction of County Highways H-58 and H-52. It was a sawmill village with a railway station and post office that closed in 1926
Diffin #1
Limestone
Alger
US-41, S of the W Branch of White Fish River
Wetmore/Station #3
Munising
Alger
1874
From 1881-1897 classes were held regularly. In 1883, 60 children both Indian and White were enrolled. (Although only 40 attended regularly). In 1936, a fire destroyed Wetmore School. A 3rd school was built on the site in 1937 and used until 1945 when students were transferred to Munising. The school was turned into a residence
Kentucky
Munising
Alger
Located on Doe Lake Rd, W of Kentucky Trail
Hawley
Mathias
Alger
1880's
Log
Was made of logs and opened circa 1880's
Rumely
Rock River
Alger
1886-
Near Au Sable River by Sundell & Dorsey Rds
Built in 1923 by Matt Lammi & Alex Jokipii for $5,358
Trenary
Mathias
Alger
1916
In 1916, a High School was built. Trenary School in 2024 was 11 miles N of the village
Limestone
Limestone
Alger
1890
McAfee - No #
Limestone
Alger
1908-
At Diffin Village
Was the 2nd school in Diffin. Salary to be paid at the end each month if there was enough money in the treasury
Lincoln
Munising
Alger
1916
B
New 8 room school to replace the old West Ward School. Could accommodate 300 in grades 1st-8th in individual classrooms
Chatham
Rock River
Alger
1896
2nd story added in 1915. Principal was paid $80.00 and teachers were paid $50.00 per month. A new school at Chatham, $25,000 bond issue was voted down in May 1914. $15,000 for new school in Eben and $10,000 for rebuilding Chatham 47 to 28. In June a $20,000 bond was approved 49 to 15
Shingleton
Munising
Alger
before 1891
County Rd in Cusino State Wildlife Research Area
B
2 Photo on Internet. Began as a station on the Detroit, Mackinaw & Marquette RR in 1882. Town known for making shingles. Originated as Jeromesville.
Joe Stevens
Alger
1908
Schoolcraft #2
Munising
Alger
1867
Oldest Township of Munising. In 1876 Munising #2 was built and was a two-story schoolhouse. Top floor to be the Township Hall. Cost $20,000
Munising Station (Wetmore)
Munising
Alger
before 1891
Log
Shelter Bay
Onota
Alger
Located on M-28 between Munising & Marquette
Kiva #3
Limestone
Alger
Was located on or near what became US-41
Rock River
Alger
1885
First school on the N side of the track near the bridge. The first teacher had 20 students. The school is well furnished with maps, a globe and in good shape in every way as reported in the the Mining Journal. The 2nd schoolhouse was a two-story building, the lower level for school and upstairs for a Community Center. Sunday School was held there as well. In 1892 two sisters from Midland County came to teach at Rock River. Alice had the Rock River School and Agnes the Hawley School. Rock River is now gone
Birch School
Alger
Sunday School held here at least in 1881. By 1885 it was turned into a residence
Little Red Schoolhouse
Grand Island
Alger
Webster Rd & Oceans Dr
2
Driftwood
Was still standing in 1985
Sacred Heart (Catholic)
Munising
Alger
1913-1970
B
Photo on Internet is under Old Sacred Heart School (Munising, Michigan)
Cold Springs
Au Train
Alger
1919
Closed in 1919. Jacob Luoma, $2,094
Loud
Louds Spur
Alger
1908-
S/8
8
Built by Matt & Isaac Kamppinen
Tyoga/Tioga
Onota
Alger
Web site: Tyoga Historical Pathway, Ghost Town. 2 mile long interpretive hiking trail. No buildings left. Founded in 1900, but abandoned. Mill on the Laughing Whitefish River. In 1908 a school was built. The schoolhouse was moved by a sleigh and horse team along the railroad grade to Deerton where it still stands
Traunik
Limestone
Alger
1890
School was closed until spring because of a large amount of snow. In 1890 a school was built at Limestone Creek
Jack Walls
Mathias
Alger
1908
Replaced the burned down Stevens School
Eben Junction
Rock River
Alger
1915 (2nd)
All children attended Eben. They built 3 schools over time. The first school was built in 1904 and the 2nd school was built in 1915
Deerton
Onota
Alger
1926
After burning down in 1926 the school was immediately re-built
Demling
Alger
1907-08
18 ft X 34 ft structure built by John Keya for $750.00. New school built by Matt Kamppinen for $4,344.77. School moved to Ferguson in 1912
Munising
Munising
Alger
1847
Log
After highway went through the Grand Island Township, kids were transported to Munising from 1936-1941
Sundell
Rock River
Alger
Located nearby to Dorsey & Rumely Rds
#3
Mathias
Alger
Had a horse drawn school bus in 1919
Winters
Mathias
Alger
1908-
Thomasville (Indiantown)
Munising
Alger
before 1891
See Indiantown School
Van Meer
Munising
Alger
A two-room brick school was completed in 1921. After the 1951-52 year all of the Van Meer and Melstrand students were bused to Shingleton. The Shingleton School opened in 1923, with 2 teachers in two-rooms teaching 8 grades. One teacher then taught the remaining 6 grades. Those grades were divided into two sections, with that lasting until 1952 when grades 5th and 6th were also transferred to Munising. Annexed in 1961. School was closed and the building was sold to the Shingleton Recreation Club
Schaffer
Onota
Alger
1881
Frame complex was built by the company which also included other guilding
Dorsey
Winters
Alger
Sixteen Mile Lake
Au Train
Alger
443 acre natural lake in Au Train Township
One of 3 dams. Dam/logging closed by 1947/48
Grand Island City #1
Munising
Alger
Petrel
Munising
Alger
On the E side of Poor Farm Rd, 1/4 mile S of Quick Rd
Twin Maples/Plainview #9
Salem
Allegan
1974
NE corner of 142nd Ave & 26th St
13
W
Allegan book p. 71. Photo of school p. 71. In 1962 there were 22 student enrolled. See also Plainview Schools. Pic
Brownell/Jewett
Allegan
Allegan
1888-1964
Dumont Rd & 122nd St
8
W
DORS, MOVED to Allegan County Fairgrounds. Part of the 100th birthday in July 1988. There are other historical buildings nearby. Open Fair Week. Standard School in 1922. MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517. Building later moved. Also known as Jewett School
Ganges Union #10
Ganges
Allegan
1867-1961
Blue Star Highway & 122nd Ave
10
B
Allegan book p. 28. Photo of school p. 28. In 1959 there were 56 students enrolled. Residence
Hill/Moore #2
Valley
Allegan
1973
S side of Monroe Rd & W of 37th St
21
W
Allegan book p. 61. Photo of school, dated 1922. p. 36. The school is apparently gone. Moved or torn-down. History of Allegan County. Also known as Moore school. Pic
Moon #8
Cheshire
Allegan
1973
NE corner of 102nd Ave & 38th St
26
W
Allegan book p. 61. Photo of school with what looks like adults so maybe taken at a school reunion, p. 61. It appears this school was moved to the west and is the Hills Golf Course Lounge. Per: James MacGregor, father of Mrs. MacGregor who taught there. Pic
Hopkinsburg #9
Hopkins
Allegan
16th St, N of 128th Ave
27
W
Photo in Gallery. Allegan book p. 42. Photo on p. 42. History of Allegan County
Abronia/Wright #10
Watson
Allegan
1976
W side of 22nd St & S of 114th
31
W
Allegan book p. 92. Photo of school p. 92. Standard School. History of Allegan County. Per: Karen Cox (Mathes), a nurse, who was a student in 1961, 62, & 63. Located on Hendrickson property. Pic
Viers/Brophy #5
Gun Plain
Allegan
SE corner 10th Ave & 7th St
9
W
Allegan book p. 11. Photo of school p.11. In 1952 there were 20 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Known as both Viers and Brophy School
Truax/Tishhouse #5
Hopkins
Allegan
Corner of 133rd & 13th St
12
W
Allegan book p. 86. Photo of school p. 86. History of Allegan County. Also called Truax School
Bravo/Oak Grove
Clyde
Allegan
113th Ave, E of 56th St
32
Allegan book p. 8. Photo of school in around 1967. In 1967 there were 113 enrolled students enrolled. 2 rooms, Privately owned.
Rowe #6
Cheshire
Allegan
W side of 42nd St, S of 100th Ave
9
W
Allegan book p. 75. Photo of the Standard School with some students standing outside. p. 75. One indication of a Standard School is the 5 windows on a side. In 1965 there were 29 students enrolled. School is now gone. History of Allegan County
Burnips Corner #3
Salem
Allegan
1856-
E side of 30th St, between Burnips & Salem Center
15
B
Allegan book p.12. Photo on p. 12. School building or log school erected at Salem Center. In 1876 a new frame building was erected at Burnip's Corners. It was a two-room brick building. It was organized into a graded school of 10 grades in 1886. There were two teachers and 110 pupils. Hist of Allegan. Co. p. 530
Allegan
Allegan
Allegan
18
MORSA. History of Allegan County
Masselink/Pershing #6
Overisel
Allegan
SE corner of 142nd Ave & 39th St
23
W/B?
Allegan book p. 69. Photo of school p. 69. In 1962 there were 124 students enrolled. (More than one classroom) History of Allegan County
Silver Creek #1
Gun Plain
Allegan
1885-
N side of Riverview Rd & W 4th St
34
W
Allegan book p. 79. Photo of school p. 79. In 1957 there were 22 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Monteith/Oakshade #4
Martin
Allegan
N side of 114th Ave, E of 8th St
28
Allegan book p. 65. No photo available. History of Allegan County
Pickle Street #5
Monterey
Allegan
1850?-1967
2980 134th Ave, Hopkins, MI
10
W
Allegan book p. 69. Photo of school p. 69. In 1952 there were 27 students enrolled. Being operated as a teaching art studio. History of Allegan County
Page
Watson
Allegan
13th St, S of 120th St
13
MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517
Iddles #3
Casco
Allegan
1859-closed 5/1962
S of 109th Ave between 64th & 62nd. Near the big spring where Indians had a campground
11
Log/W/B
Allegan book p. 45. Photo of school/residence p. 45. Moved to Harry Litt's farm and was used as a packing shed in fruit season by migrant workers. Built in 1859 and still standing in 1998. In 1962 it was housing for migrant workers 2-24. Looks like very nice residence Red brick school built 1901 School used for 103 years
Darling #3
Ganges
Allegan
Closed 7/31/1962
S side of 118th Ave between US 31 & 70th St, E of 68th St
20
W
Allegan book p. 19. Photo of school p. 19. History of Allegan County. Annexed to Fennville School District in 1962. Extant. Private residence
Hoyerville Pullen/Otto
Otsego
Allegan
1974
102nd Ave, W of 23rd St
30
Residence. MORSA. History of Allegan County. Pic
Wakeman
Allegan
1975
136th Ave & 34th St
W
Gone. Pic
Indian Trail #4
Salem
Allegan
SW 30th St & 146th Ave in Salem Township
9
W
Allegan book p. 46. Photo on p. 46. In 1954 there were 31 students enrolled
Lindsley #1
Cheshire
Allegan
1868 or 72
NE corner of 105th Ave & 41st St
22
W
Allegan book p. 50. Photo of school p. 50. Year of photo 1909-1910? History of Allegan County. In 1962 there were 39 students enrolled
Gardner #5
Wayland
Allegan
W 131st Ave about 7th St
15
W
Allegan book p. 29. Photo of school p. 29. Close to falling down. Very poor condition
Foster #4
Trowbridge
Allegan
1888
6 miles S of Allegan on M-40 between 104th & 106th St
20
B?
Allegan book p. 26. Photo of school p. 26. In 1962 there were 20 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Parkhurst/Brookside #4
Heath
Allegan
1974
1 S 34th Ave, E of 44th St
9
W
Allegan book p. 10. Photo of school p. 10. Sometime known as Parkhurst. In 1951 there were 16 students enrolled. Now Hamilton Rod & Gun Club. History of Allegan County. Pic
Page/Gorton #7
Hopkins
Allegan
open by 1872
W side of 18th St & S of 133rd St
9
W
Allegan book p. 67. Photo of school p. 67. Notation says the school is gone
Barrager #7
Saugatuck
Allegan
1850-6/14/1956
E side of 64th St & S of 127th Ave
36
W or B
Allegan book p. 4. Photo of school p. 4. It is either wooden frame or possibly brick. Converted into a residence in 1998
Loomis #2
Ganges
Allegan
closed 10/26/1960
At intersection of 63rd St & 122nd Ave
9
W
N side of 136th Ave between 50th & 52nd St
Berry/Beechdale #7
Casco
Allegan
1864-1967
N side of 106th Ave at 65th
15
W
Allegan book p. 6. Photo of school p. 6. Basement used as a classroom in 1914 + a room was added in 1940. Charles Hurlbut, Student. Teacher: Nelson Ransom. Charles is deceased, his brother Frank of South Haven has a photo. Still standing in 1998. Contact: Frank Hurlbut, 67663 CR 388 No. 17, South Haven, MI
Wing #3
Otsego
Allegan
NW corner of 103rd Ave & 13th St
25
Allegan book p. 91. Photo of school unavailable. In 1940 there were 37 students enrolled
Prouty #1
Trowbridge
Allegan
1973
110th Ave & 33rd St
5
W
Allegan book p. 72. Photo of school p. 72. In 1962 there were 43 students enrolled. Newspaper clipping of class in 1945, September 26, 1999. Still standing and used as a residence (2003) Pic
Dallas #7
Monterey
Allegan
1973
2 miles E of Monterey Center on the N. side of 134th Ave & S of 26th St, 134th Ave, S of 26th St
12
W
Allegan book p. 18. Photo of school p. 18. In 1962 there were 23 students enrolled. Pic
Saugatuck #2
Saugatuck
Allegan
1866
Located in the village
16
W
In 1866 a graded school was built that was used for the next 30 years. In 1897 a 2 story brick building was built.
Grable//Lewis/Little Red Schoolhouse #9
Otsego
Allegan
1973
108th Ave, SE corner of M-89, 2 miles W of Otsego
17
B
Allegan book p. 31. Photo of school. p. 31. Now owned or was owned by Michigan author, Larry Massie. Now an Antique shop. Owned by Esther Wyman. Also known as Grable School and Lewis School. History of Allegan County. Pic
Ferris #4
Cheshire
Allegan
E of 46th St, N of 106th Ave
18
W
Allegan book p. 25. Photo of school p. 25. In 1962 there were 30 students enrolled. In 1974 privately owned. History of Allegan County
Wicks/Chamberlain #9
Hopkins
Allegan
W side of 14th St, S of 126th Ave
35
W
Allegan book p. 89. Photo of school p. 89. In 1951 no students were enrolled. History of Allegan County
Jewett/Brownell #5
Allegan
Allegan
1888-1964
John Pahl Historic Village, Allegan Co. Fairgrounds
5
Photo in gallery. Part of the Allegan Fairgrounds Historical Village. Celebrated 100th birthday in July 1988. See Brownell School
Mellish #10
Salem
Allegan
N side of 138th Ave, E of 26th St
25
Allegan book p. 56. School is gone. Photo of foundation p. 56. History of Allegan County
Sycamore #9
Dorr
Allegan
N side of 142nd Ave, E of 22nd St
31
W
Allegan book p. 84. Photo from 1970's? p.84. In 1951 there were 26 students enrolled
Green Lake/Chappell #3
Leighton
Allegan
1976
Located at 7th St & 146th
10
B?
Allegan book p. 15. Photo of school p. 15. Now a residence. In 1955 there were 38 students enrolled. Pic
Corning #5
Leighton
Allegan
N side of 142nd Ave, W of Corning
15
W
Allegan book p. 17. Photo on p. 17. In 1962 there were 26 students enrolled
Glenn/Crawford #4
Ganges
Allegan
1854-1997?
114th Ave & 64th St
31
B
Allegan book p. 31. Photo of school before addition to the front p. 31. Photo entitled "Our Amazing Little Red School House" Located in Ganges Township. In 1962 there were 64 students enrolled. Built in 1854. Still in operation in 1997. Also known as Crawford School
Peachbelt #1f
Ganges
Allegan
1867-1968
6292 124th Ave (M-89) SW corner of M-89 & 63rd St, Fennville
2
W/B
Fractional district. Allegan book p. 68. Photo of school p. 68. 1959 enrollment was 31 students. MI Register of Historic Sites. Photo in Gallery (1961, annexed to Fennville Schools, used until 1968 for single grade) Converted into a residence in 1983. Now Peach Belt Studio & Gallery
Hughes #11
Watson
Allegan
1973
2 miles S of Watson Corners on 16th St & N of 112th Ave
35
W
Allegan book p. 44. Photo p. 44. In 1962 there were 12 students enrolled. Pic
Moline #10
Dorr
Allegan
1974
E side of Peony Ave & Chappel St in Dorr
W
Allegan book p. 59. Photo of school with students out front p. 59. In 1945 there were 52 students enrolled. School burned on Dec 22, 1973. History of Allegan County. Pic
Gibson #2
Laketown
Allegan
Located at intersection of 140th Ave & 65th St
27
W
Allegan book p. 29. 3 photos of school p. 29. Contact: Murlyn Vollink, 257 Brook St, Saugatuck, MI
McDowell #1
Casco
Allegan
1851-1937
On Lakeshore Rd, S of McDowell corner on the W side of 71st St & S of 107th Ave
18
W
Allegan book p. 56. Photo of school p. 56. School burned down in 1937. Blue Star Highway has been moved. "Casco Township Bounty by the Lake" by Jeanne Hallgren & Substation 1939-1960
Fillmore/Beeline
Fillmore
Allegan
M-40 & 50th St, S of Fillmore
25
W
MORSA. History of Allegan County, p. 517
Jones #2
Dorr
Allegan
NE corner of 146th Ave & 17th St
3
B
Allegan book p. 47. Photo on p. 47. History of Allegan County. In 1962 there were 30 students enrolled
Lacy/Anderson
Manlius
Allegan
closed 9/14/1957
N side of M-89, E of 53rd St S/34
34
W
Allegan book p. 1. Photo on p. 1. Also called Lacy School. Wooden frame.
Babylon #7
Allegan
Allegan
1973
Babylon Rd & 34th St (M-89)
17
W
Allegan book p. 3. Photo of school p. 3. 1960 enrollment was 52 students. Standard School in 1922. History of Allegan County. Pic
Franklin #5
Salem
Allegan
NE corner of 146th Ave & 34th St
5
W
Allegan book p. 26. Photo of school p. 26
Frayer #3
Heath
Allegan
SW corner of 136th Ave & 38th St
1
W
Allegan book p. 27. Photo of school p. 27. History of Allegan County
Smith #3
Lee
Allegan
1974
E side of 58th between 102nd Ave & Baseline
32
W
Allegan book p. 81. Photo of school p. 81. In 1962 34 students were enrolled. History of Allegan County. Pic
Hawthorn #2
Overisel
Allegan
1978
N 146th between 38th & 40th St
2
W
Allegan book p. 37. Photo of school p. 37. History of Allegan County. In 1962 there were 66 students enrolled (appears to be more than 1 room) Pic
Hettinger/Messinger #5
Valley
Allegan
NW corner of 117th (Monroe) & 42nd St
21
W
Allegan book p. 36. Photo of school p 36. History of Allegan County
Huver #6
Leighton
Allegan
E side of 2nd St, N of 146th Ave
1
Allegan book p. 44. Photo unavailable. In 1952 there were no students enrolled
Noble #7
Cheshire
Allegan
1973
SE corner of 110th Ave & 46th St
8
W
Allegan book p. 64. Photo of school p. 64. Locals say that the school is gone. James MacGregor and Ray Winters, father of Faith (Winters) MacGregor. Pic
Barton/Gates #6
Otsego
Allegan
1 1/4 miles N of Otsego on NW corner of E & W Crossroads (108th Ave & 15th St)
6
Allegan book p. 4. No photo available at time of publication. Contact: Mrs. Alice Newcomb, 308 E. Orleans St, Otsego, MI 49078. Ph# 694-6872. Also known as Gates School
Horseshoe #4
Lee
Allegan
SE corner of 104th Ave & 50th St
25
W
Allegan book p. 43. Photo of school p. 43. In 1962 there were 20 students enrolled
Ross #8
Trowbridge
Allegan
SW corner of 26th St & 106th Ave
23
W
Allegan book p. 74. Photo of school on p. 74. In 1962 there were 25 students enrolled. Contact: Ken Scott - Gobles, History of Allegan County
Banning/Neeley #9
Gun Plain
Allegan
Just N of intersection at Marsh & Pine Rds
1
B
Allegan book p. 3. Appears to be a brick school. Photo of school p. 3. In 1952 the enrollment was 47 students. Photo of school possibly taken in 1973
Baseline #3
Cheshire
Allegan
Corner of Baseline Rd & 42nd St
34
W
Allegan book p. 5. Photo of school p. 5. It appears to be a wooden frame school. In 1951 there were 16 students enrolled
Middaugh/River Rd #3
Manlius
Allegan
1973
E side of 52nd St, S of 133rd
11
W
Allegan book p. 74. Photo of school p. 74. In 1957 there were 20 students enrolled. School is now owned by Mr & Mrs Jeff Warner. Also known as River Road School. Pic
Wildwood #7
Lee
Allegan
1974
SE corner of 103rd Ave & 54th St
27
W
Allegan book p. 90. Photo of school with swings. p. 90. In 1950 there were no students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Pic
Morrell #3
Gun Plain
Allegan
SE corner of 2nd St & M 89
36
W
Allegan book p. 62. Drawing of photo of school p. 62
Merson/Wilkinson #3
Trowbridge
Allegan
1973
7 miles S of Allegan on M-40 & 102 Ave
29
W
Allegan book p. 57. Photo on p. 57. In 1962 there were 19 students enrolled. Now owned by Merson Church. History of Allegan County. Pic
Rummery #8
Gun Plain
Allegan
S side of M 89 E of 8th St
21
W
Allegan book p. 75. Photo of school p. 75. In 1945 there were 23 students enrolled
Gilbert #1
Dorr
Allegan
NE 146th & 14th St in Dorr Township
1
Allegan book p. 30. Photo of former site on p. 30
Hudson Corners #3
Allegan
Allegan
1973
2 miles N of Allegan on 30th St & 118th Ave W of Current Town Hall
26
W
Near Township Hall. Allegan book p. 43. Photo on page 43. In 1962 there were 63 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Pic
Hoyer/Oakview #6
Monterey
Allegan
1899-1962?
NE corner of 130th Ave & 34th St
17
B
Allegan book p. 65. Photo of brick school p. 65. In 1962 there were 19 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Also called Oakview School
Crow #4
Casco
Allegan
1860-1974
SW corner of 102nd Ave & 62nd St
25
B?
Allegan book p. 18. Photo of school p. 18. Moved to a field on Baseline Rd near Lacota. Built in 1860. Closed in 1974. 1974 farm building remodeled as a residence. In 1962 there were 31 students enrolled
Angell #6
Wayland
Allegan
S side of 126th Ave
27
W
Allegan book p. 2. Photo of school p. 2. Appears to be a wooden frame building. Photo of school and children in 1924-25. Photo says District #7
Garvelink/Maplewood
Fillmore
Allegan
1973
146th Ave, E of Graafschap
5
History of Allegan County. Also known as Maplewood School. Student: Dave Norem, Clarksville, TN. See Garvelink School. Burned and rebuilt in 1916 on Buchanan Street. Converted into a residence. Not listed in Allegan book. Pic
Wetmore #4
Allegan
Allegan
1973
NE corner of 30th St & 122nd Ave
3
B
Allegan book p. 88. Photo of school p. 88. In 1962 there were 25 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Pic
Round
Hopkins
Allegan
(J.O. Round Farm)
1
Log
Torn-down. Said to be 1st school in township
Elm Hill/Watson Corners #2
Watson
Allegan
SW corner of 116 Ave & 16th St
27
W
Allegan book p. 23. Photo of school p. 23. History of Allegan County. See Watson Corners School. Converted into a residence. Contact: Virginia Van Horn, 40279 Baseline Rd, Bloomingdale, MI 49026. In 1958 there were 28 students enrolled
Swan #8
Watson
Allegan
NE corner of 115th Ave & 13th or 14th St
25
Allegan book p. 84. No photo available. In 1951 there were 23 students enrolled
Diamond Springs #8
Salem
Allegan
NE corner of 136th Ave & 34th St
31
W
Allegan book p. 20. Photo of school on p. 20. In 1962 there were 25 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
New Salem #7
Salem
Allegan
NW corner of 146th Ave & 26th St
2
W
Allegan book p. 64. Photo of school p. 64. In 1945 there were 6 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Ikler/Walker/Fraser
Clyde
Allegan
25
B
See Ikeler/Walker/Fraser
Knowles #5
Otsego
Allegan
NW corner of 11th Ave & 15th St
2
Allegan book p. 49. Photo unavailable. In 1954 there were 17 students enrolled
Simpson #4
Watson
Allegan
SE corner of 20th St & 123rd Ave
7
W
Allegan book p. 80. Photo of school p. 80. In 1962 there were 32 students enrolled
Calkins/Crill #2
Valley
Allegan
NE corner of 21st Ave & 41st St
10
W
Allegan book p. 14. Photo of school on page 14. Also known as Crill School
Gidley #4
Manlius
Allegan
closed 7/11/1960
N side 128th Ave at 56th
20
W
Allegan book p. 30. Photo of school p. 30. History of Allegan County. In 1957 there were 21 students enrolled
Lugers #3
Laketown
Allegan
N side of 147th Ave, between 62nd & 64th St
2
W?
Allegan book p. 52. Photo of school p. 52. History of Allegan County. Looks to have 203 classrooms
Fairview #3
Monterey
Allegan
1973
2 miles E of Monterey Center on the corner of 26th St & 130th Ave
23
B
Allegan book p. 24. Photo of school p. 24. In 1951 there were 14 students enrolled. Pic
Tanner #4
Dorr
Allegan
1974
SW corner of the intersection of 138th Ave
17
W
Allegan book p. 85. Photo p. 85. In 1855 there were no students enrolled. Owner of schoolhouse is Tom Krueschel. Pic
Frohm #1
Hopkins
Allegan
1974
2
Allegan book p. 4. Photo of site where school was. Not gone p. 14. History of Allegan County. Pic
Pritchard/Oakwood #6
Clyde
Allegan
NE corner of 112th Ave & 52nd St
35
W?
Allegan book p. 71. Photo of school p. 71. History of Allegan County. See also Oakwood School
Miner Lake
Allegan
Allegan
SE corner of 122nd Ave & 26th St
12
W
Allegan book p. 59. Photo of school p. 59. In 1962 there were 33 students enrolled. History of Allegan County
Gramges #6
Ganges
Allegan
closed by 10/1960
6292 114th Ave, Fennville
6
B
Standard School. Annexed to Fennville in 1961. State Historic Site. Residence in 1959. In 1959 there were 56 students enrolled
Kinner #1
Wayland
Allegan
1858-
NW corner of 133rd Ave & 2nd St
11
W
Allegan book p. 49. Photos p. 49
Sand Hill #2
Salem
Allegan
1897
Located on the corner of 138th Ave & 30th St.
34
W
Allegan book p. 76. Photo of school with all of the students grouped outside. p. 76. In 1962 there were 56 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Pic
Chase #5
Saugatuck
Allegan
closed by July 1956
SE corner 126th Ave & 68th St
33
W
Allegan book p. 15. Photo of school on p. 15. History of Allegan County. Operated until July 1956 when annexed to Fennville School system. Building was sold and moved to Ganges Township & converted into residence
Beechwood/Koopman
Overisel
Allegan
144th Ave & 43rd St
9
MORSA. History of Allegan County. Not listed in Allegan book
Hopkins #6
Hopkins
Allegan
W side of 22nd St & S of 126th Ave
10
W
Allegan book p. 42. Photo on p. 42
Sheldon #11
Wayland
Allegan
SE corner of Gregorville Rd & 10th St
18
W
Allegan book pg 79. Photo of school p. 79
Clifford #6
Trowbridge
Allegan
-1963
N side of 108th Ave, E of 30th. Moved 1 mile S of Pullman in 1963
10
W? or CB?
Allegan book p. 16. Photo of school p. 16. Moved in 1963, 1 mile S of Pullman. Owned by William Sweet. In 1955 there were 40 students enrolled. History of Allegan County, page 517
Hamilton #5
Heath
Allegan
M-40 S of 135th Ave
6
B
Allegan book p. 34 Photo of school p. 34. Has more than one classroom
McClair/St Clair #4
Laketown
Allegan
63rd St between 136th & 138th
35
W
Allegan book p. 55. Photo of school p. 55. In 1955 there were 27 students enrolled. History of Allegan County. Sometimes known as St. Clair School
bottom of page